Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have the grab rails for a XCT? Part number? Vendor ?
Jim

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts
Likely in stock at Randy's Cycle in Marengo, IL. I had them installed on my CCT upon delivery. They seem strong enough to lift the entire bike. IMHO, they also look and perform great as well. My wife only uses them sometimes but they also make a great place for fastening something to the back of the seat.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Engine bars....

fall bars, crash bars..[the round ones]..they have many names...any source for them other than OEM ?....$300+...Ouch!

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i am looking for grab rails for the passenger NOT highway bars.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
fall bars, crash bars..[the round ones]..they have many names...any source for them other than OEM ?....$300+...Ouch!
I believe Jim is talking about the rails that the passenger holds onto (or which you can strap luggage to, etc.). I have these, and agree completely with Mark, i.e, good looking, extremely tough. They also make a nice hand-hold if you ever have to lift up your bike after dropping it, where you place your butt against the seat, grab this rail and the handlebars, and walk backwards.

I've never seen an aftermarket version of the passenger grab rails for our Cross bikes. But, still, these are NOT just cheap tubular crap -- they are very nice bars, and available at least as a partial discount. I got mine courtesy of some Victory coupons at the time of purchase.

I have three pics of these in my gallery, starting here: www.billanddot.com/victory-xct/#5

A year or more ago, I put up the instructions that included with the grab rails, because a few people had them but no instructions. Here's that document on my site: http://www.billanddot.com/passenger-grabrail-instructions.pdf

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks that was what i was looking for, but $300 you have got to be kidding.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
thanks that was what i was looking for, but $300 you have got to be kidding.
Well, if Honda East really gives us a 20% discount, and if it's off they're already discounted prices, it's right around $200 (OK, plus shipping). I'd give them a call. These things are the most robust grab rails on any bike I've ever seen, and they're pretty nice. Maybe someone can find them cheaper.

If you look at the price of some plastic parts on our bikes -- the fork guards spring to mind -- these are almost a bargain. But I guess it depends on how much you travel with a passenger, how much she likes to have grab rails, how often you travel with luggage you want to strap down, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good points bill

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well Bill.. Honda East price online is $252 with free shipping. thats better but still pricey.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Well, if Honda East really gives us a 20% discount, and if it's off they're already discounted prices, it's right around $200 (OK, plus shipping). I'd give them a call. These things are the most robust grab rails on any bike I've ever seen, and they're pretty nice. Maybe someone can find them cheaper.

If you look at the price of some plastic parts on our bikes -- the fork guards spring to mind -- these are almost a bargain. But I guess it depends on how much you travel with a passenger, how much she likes to have grab rails, how often you travel with luggage you want to strap down, etc.
That's where and how I got mine. wife loves them and provides a great place to grab if the bike goes down.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Have them, wife didn't like them because she partly sits on them and in cooler months they're COLD! :D So, took them off and she immediately wanted them back. Go figure... she said their presence made her feel more secure....

I don't suggest lifting the bike by them, Mark, they're only held to the saddlebag brackets by 4 6mm button cap screws. I found that out because my original dealer cross threaded 2 and actually broke one off - then just put the bag back on and left it that way... so THAT'S what that 3k rpm noise was.... :rolleyes:

Otherwise super easy to install...

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks Pointman. i went and ordered them. I am pretty sure we will like them.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts

Otherwise super easy to install...
I don't know about super easy, but pretty easy. As I recall from 2+ years ago, the instructions (see my earlier post for link) had the number of the different sized screws backwards. So you need just a tad of common sense, i.e., the longer bolts are used where more material is being joined, and the shorter bolts are for shorter requirements.

Also, I found that one pair of pliers I have made the install easier (which is why I took this pic back then). It's part of a set, and I think it's purpose is for clamping hoses or something like that. With the grab rails, there are some spacers that have to be held in place while some bolts are being put on. As there's not really room to get your fingers around the spacers, I found these pliers a real help for that part of the process.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
BigBlue i got them from Honda East in Ohio for $251.24 with free shipping.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I don't know about super easy, but pretty easy. As I recall from 2+ years ago, the instructions (see my earlier post for link) had the number of the different sized screws backwards. So you need just a tad of common sense, i.e., the longer bolts are used where more material is being joined, and the shorter bolts are for shorter requirements.

Also, I found that one pair of pliers I have made the install easier (which is why I took this pic back then). It's part of a set, and I think it's purpose is for clamping hoses or something like that. With the grab rails, there are some spacers that have to be held in place while some bolts are being put on. As there's not really room to get your fingers around the spacers, I found these pliers a real help for that part of the process.
Two short screws are the front holes, 2 longer screws in the rear holes with the spacers between the grab rail plate and the back side of the saddlebag mounting plate. Be careful not to cross thread.

I used an open end wrench to hold the spacer in place from underneath, doing the top one then the bottom one - after having started the 2 front ones.

So my "super easy" doesn't preclude the possible need to stand on your head and have 3 hands. :D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts