Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was riding an unfamiliar road today at a pretty good clip and as I entered a nice 'S' section there were whoop-de-doos in the road. I used ALL of the suspension travel, but came out of it fine... grateful for a chassis that forgives bottoming out in a lean... but all I could think was that on a bike with less suspension travel and lesser component quality I would have been in the woods on that one. Had I been riding my buddy's Street Glide with it's whopping 2" of suspension in the back, I'd still be laying there hoping someone finds me soon.

You Kingpin owners will understand.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Was riding an unfamiliar road today
So there really is one you didnt ride before??? After our 300 mile tour of your part of MD I am shocked!
at a pretty good clip
This I DO believe!

Glad you are ok bud. Have to agree the TC has been pretty forgiving to me as well coming out of a death wobble one time. Vision has been just as good to me. I love both these bikes and the mesh between rider and machine tackling the roadway. cheers

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Was riding an unfamiliar road today at a pretty good clip and as I entered a nice 'S' section there were whoop-de-doos in the road. I used ALL of the suspension travel, but came out of it fine... grateful for a chassis that forgives bottoming out in a lean... but all I could think was that on a bike with less suspension travel and lesser component quality I would have been in the woods on that one. Had I been riding my buddy's Street Glide with it's whopping 2" of suspension in the back, I'd still be laying there hoping someone finds me soon.

I rode down to Kentucky today. Between the tar strips, sand, gravel, and squirrels in the corners, I was having a very hard time trying to be graceful. Fortunately, I hit no craters.

I have plenty of travel on the FJR, but the Hyperpro race suspension on it is pretty firm. I may have ended up in the woods with your Street Glide friend too...

·
Premium Member
13,320 Posts
Yes. The better suspension on Vic's is one of the main reasons I ride them today. I'm just as grateful for the suspension on the XC as the KP. Both are better than anything HD has I'm sorry to say. I tried to improve the rear suspension on an FLHT with Ohlins and it did help but it still wasn't as good as the stock suspension on Vic's. The single shock design is much better than the dual side shocks and much better than the Softail type frame and suspension design. It looks cool but the suspension/rider/passenger pay for the cool looks.

If I were to get a Boardwalk; I'd want the optional 4" suspension the KP came with stock. I think it was a dumb move to go to the 3" suspension but maybe their marketing research turned up something different. I guess it must have.

·
Registered
690 Posts
What exactly is the difference in suspension on a KP 8 ball ? Is it only an inch shorter shock ? Mine handles decent, but it doesn't ride that great ! And I don't want to spend almost a grand in buying a new Penske shock.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
What exactly is the difference in suspension on a KP 8 ball ? Is it only an inch shorter shock ? Mine handles decent, but it doesn't ride that great ! And I don't want to spend almost a grand in buying a new Penske shock.
To compensate for the lesser travel on the lowered shocks they are using, they put a stiffer spring (and probably stiffer damping). Result is that the ride is a lot less plush and still easier to bottom than the originals, but its lower stance gives people new to motorcycling more confidence in the showroom when they go to plant their feet on terra firma. They make their money in the showroom, so all the lowered bikes shouldn't come as much surprise.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I've been debating on trading this on a XC but if I could get it to ride as good as one I may keep it, and just add things like hard bags and a fairing. But again, I can see me paying close to a grand for a shock, plus the same for bags, and a fairing. So if I'm gonna have to do that to get an equivalent ride, I think I'll do the trade.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I can appreciate HC's observations here. Even after 10k in the saddle of the XR, I still occasionally forget it's not my Vulcan, and find myself leaned over into a corner and cringing because I expect a floorboard feeler to start dragging any second. Or puckering because I see a washboard-y section just past the apex of the turn, and I'm trying gauge how quickly I can right the bike before I have to hit it because I know the bike's gonna get squirrelly and I don't want that to happen with my face 2 feet from the pavement.. My brain eventually remembers where my body is, tho...probably because my ass doesn't hurt from the Vulcan's seat.

Middle-weight cruisers like my VN900 might frequently get the "entry-level motorcycle" label, but it seems to me that my Vic is a lot more forgiving of my mediocre riding skill than my Vulcan could ever hope to be.

·
Premium Member
4,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
its lower stance gives people new to motorcycling more confidence in the showroom when they go to plant their feet on terra firma. They make their money in the showroom, so all the lowered bikes shouldn't come as much surprise.
Victory motorcycles have the tallest engine, the longest suspension travel, AND the lowest seats in their class. The Vision seat is lower than the seat on a Sportster "low". You don't have to sacrifice a low seat to have suspension travel...

Remember when Yamaha came out with the Road Star in 1999? They were criticized for copying Harley with their pushrod engine. They said it was done to keep the seat height lower. But when I look at my bike, it looks like someone bent a frame around that big engine.

I still occasionally forget it's not my Vulcan, and find myself leaned over into a corner and cringing because I expect a floorboard feeler to start dragging any second. Or puckering because I see a washboard-y section just past the apex of the turn... snip ... it seems to me that my Vic is a lot more forgiving of my mediocre riding skill than my Vulcan could ever hope to be.
This is what cemented my love of the Kingpin chassis. Right after I bought it I took the long way home from work and was entering a '25 mph' turn at like 60... I see a little washboard -- 3 pavement heaves in a row about 2 feet apart -- and it's right in my line. I'm thinking the bike will start to wallow after I pass over those (because other cruisers I have ridden or owned would). I hold steady throttle and course, pass over the washboard... NOTHING! The bike had no reaction at all. I said "SWEEEEEET!" right out loud.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts

Makes me think.. Does my High-Ball have a different (lowered) setup, such as the 8-Ball? Is it different than the Kingpin at all?

I know it's definitely pretty stiff.. Especially since I'm 30lbs lighter. Never messed with any kind of adjustment to it, but I'm thinking I should as I rarely get into any of the suspension travel, even over big dippity dips such as a swoop before a rail-road track I'm always going over. It'll be stiffer yet when I finally get a corbin on it.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Thanks guys.. So it appears the high-ball shares a lowered 1" suspension setup like the Vegas 8-ball (different shorter shock I guess) than the "regular height" steel-frame bikes (Vegas, Kingpin, etc).

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
better = longer

longer shocks can use lighter springs with more travel to do its job, i installed a penske on my 13 hammer 1/2" longer, been backin off preload from setup as mailed from penske and ride keeps getting better afterall we are not all racers. test rode a superglide before i bought the hammer, ride was much less than super as were the brakes, lovin my hammer!!!

·
Premium Member
13,320 Posts
Thanks guys.. So it appears the high-ball shares a lowered 1" suspension setup like the Vegas 8-ball (different shorter shock I guess) than the "regular height" steel-frame bikes (Vegas, Kingpin, etc).
On the steel frame bikes I think it was only the Kingpin that had the 4" shock.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
So you have about the same exact amount of rear wheel travel as my KP 8 ball.
I'll be posing the questions when I break down and order a Penske for my High-Ball application.. I definitely don't want to go higher, but going lower too much concerns me also except I figure I'd better move the harness even if I only do the shock. I'll find out if I'll need lowering links also.. Lots of questions for the CCustoms unlucky soul that answers my call. I'm thinking of doing this before doing the seat.

Since the quote on a Hard-Ball literally made me cry, I'll be investing in making the damn-near-paid-off High-Ball all she can be and enjoy the bobber. thumb up

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I'll be posing the questions when I break down and order a Penske for my High-Ball application.. I definitely don't want to go higher
Oh yes you do. Buck the low boy trend. If you own your bike to ride, lift that rear and add some put some cartridge emulators in the forks. I find Vic engines plenty fast enough, but the suspensions on their steel frame cruisers these days are substandard. Money spent fixing that aspect of those bikes is far better off than chasing a few HP IMHO.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
How much you weigh BSbabcock? I don't find my HB suspension to be too stiff and I am 185lbs... I am putting a 200/50r18 on and that will raise the bike 1/4 in the back give or take. My biggest concern now is bottoming out and tearing that wiring harness to ****... I don't think I want too pay $750 for a Penske shock but might have to?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 31 Posts