Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, Im going on a two day trip west of me to the mountains, there is a secondary highway that is a beautiful ride however a section of about 15miles is packed gravel before it loops back and returns to pavement. Would you still do the ride or pass given the gravel section.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
It's up to you.
If you are riding and you hit a gravel road do you turn around?
I've not a ton of experience with gravel myself other than driveways but I just see it as more experience.
Gravel happens.

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
Hey everyone, Im going on a two day trip west of me to the mountains, there is a secondary highway that is a beautiful ride however a section of about 15miles is packed gravel before it loops back and returns to pavement. Would you still do the ride or pass given the gravel section.
I try to avoid it for the sake of my drive belt.
A hole in the side of the belt and its history.
Did ride 30 miles of gravel a few months ago or it was a 80 mile detour...I rode it very slowly.
Its not the bikes unstable theyte great on the dirt its the chance of destroying a belt that scares me

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya, its kind of a odd loop as its pavement 80% with a section of gravel but the views are spectacular I may just do the west section of highway 40 down to Cadomin and turn around and head back and then ride though Jasper and down the Jasper parkway highway 93 and back along the David Thompson highway 11

https://www.google.ca/maps/@52.8060944,-117.0234193,229682m/data=!3m1!1e3

·
13,043 Posts
If you do ride the dirt road clean it real good with a brush after the ride

·
Premium Member
2,371 Posts
I have .8 miles of unmaintained dirt road to get to the pavement. Some days I do the round trip, 1.6 miles, 3 or 4 times. This since October 2011. I took no actions to spare it on the dirt. I inspected it from time to time, and I would hose the visible part sometimes when washing.
I changed my belt about 2 months ago. No problem. If you get a stone in there you'll damage your belt, but I don't think that is easy to do unless you're fishtailing and spinning the wheel.

·
Registered
483 Posts
@Rollin' is shaking his head at this thread. Lol!

He knows a little about gravel travel.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My previous bike was a Kawasaki Voyager XII and it was shaft drive so it was less of a concern but my other concern is tires on the bike are soft by nature (unless I go to the dark side) and I dont want to chew them up either.

·
Registered
347 Posts
@Rollin' is shaking his head at this thread. Lol!

He knows a little about gravel travel.
I followed him and his travels on the ADV site when he was on his Vision back in the day. I lost track of how many Iron Butt certificates he has. Be it off-road in Colorado or his travels to the end of the road at the edge of the world in Alaska, a few miles of no asphalt never got in his way.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree, gravel does not concern me so much but given this is the first new bike Ive ever owned I would hate to damage something with only 3300mi on the OD

·
Registered
347 Posts
I agree, gravel does not concern me so much but given this is the first new bike Ive ever owned I would hate to damage something with only 3300mi on the OD
After a scant four years, nor would I. I'll stick to pavement.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Ride through it, if its packed you may find it is mostly bare where the car tires drove on it, just set a pace, slow down before going into the corners and don't make sudden moves. Oh and watch for sharpe rocks.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Not much of a fan of big bikes and rock roads either, but with ruining the belt on wife's Magnum with only 12,000 miles...really sucks!:frown

I found this rock pushed all the way through during a pre-trip inspection for our BRP run.

Not sure what happened to the pic???

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,151 Posts
Not much of a fan of big bikes and rock roads either, but with ruining the belt on wife's Magnum with only 12,000 miles...really sucks!:frown

I found this rock pushed all the way through during a pre-trip inspection for our BRP run.

Not sure what happened to the pic???
No problem, both sides are intact, belt will last forever

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
70 Posts
No problem, both sides are intact, belt will last forever

Andre using TaPaTaLk
I kinda thought it might hold up, but just wouldn't be very comfortable on a long trip. However, I did save it as a back-up.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Our X bikes, the wifes and mine, are not that hot on gravel roads.
Her and I both own bikes that are much more at home on gravel. They are not unmanageable but you do have to babysit them some. The long pullback of the handlebars seem to be the issue.

Could be the operators too:eek ??

I do get a lot of practice on dirt roads though. If you go on that ride my advice is to be careful of how close you ride to the bike in front of you, If your going with other riders. If you watch the bike ahead of your's wake you'll see that the smallest stones that it kicks up bounce the farthest. Or seems like that. Those small stones are also the ones that can easily get past your belt guard and do.

The rocks kicked up by your own front tire are seldom a problem. They bounce out and away from the rear tire and belt. The guy your following or the guy who pulls past you that is most likely to stick a rock in your belt. If your riding alone not really an issue.

On coming vehicles, same thing. Get as far to the right as you can. If they are really flinging rocks across the road try to get over and stopped before they get to you.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts