Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2000 V92C, Last year I checked my mileage and was getting around 35 mpg, not bad but I thought it would be better. Last fall/winter I replaced the plugs, fuel filter (along with the hoses) and the TPS (throttle position sensor). Just checked the mileage today and I’m getting 45 mpg! That is more like it! Makes me want to ride even more now! This really helps since I drive 49 miles each way to work. cheers

·
Registered
236 Posts
That would be nice, I'm only getting 35 out of my 04 TC I'm experimenting deferent gas stations and riding style trying to figure out how to at least get 40.

I'm thinking my bike has had some performance upgrades or something, it had a Big shot fuel tuner on it when I bought it and I was only getting 25 to 29 mpg. I removed it now I'm getting 35 hwy.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would be nice, I'm only getting 35 out of my 04 TC I'm experimenting deferent gas stations and riding style trying to figure out how to at least get 40.

I'm thinking my bike has had some performance upgrades or something, it had a Big shot fuel tuner on it when I bought it and I was only getting 25 to 29 mpg. I removed it now I'm getting 35 hwy.
When i install the new TPS, i had to reset (reprogram) the ECM for the new TPS. that was just installing a jumper wire for a few seconds, not sure if something like that has to be done with your bike.

·
Registered
13 Posts
tc mileage

When I bought my 03 new, I was getting 55 mpg . Even the dealer was surprised. I now average about 42. I do not know why the major loss of economy. I just turned 34,000 m yesterday. Any ideas out there?

·
13,263 Posts
When did you clean the throttle body's last. Are you using your phone to figure mileage

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
This is why I'm getting a 2004 Vegas. Same size tank 4.5 gal that previous vtx 1800 had. The 1800cc monster was killing me on gas simply because I ride a lot. At near 120 miles, I was looking for a gas station. I was previously spoiled with a vulcan 900 5.2 gal size tank and near 200 miles range.

So, now I'll be middle of the road engine size and should see an improvement. thumb up

·
Registered
21 Posts
V92 tc gas / fuel mileage

I have consistently gotten 28-32 mpg with stock windshield. Drilled air filter housing, K&N, drilled out exhaust as instructed on a post, changed plugs, all to no avail. Removing windshield has pushed it up to a whopping 35 mpg, but the wind noise is killing my ears even with plugs and Windjammer II on full face. Any suggestions re mpg would be welcomed. :confused:

·
13,263 Posts
Use your phone to do the math the gauge will lie to you

·
Registered
357 Posts
My 04 TC gets 38-42mpg depending on conditions.I am happy with that.
My old Shovelhead gets 28-32mpg,our 07 FXDB gets a whooping 42mpg
So I would say around 40mpg is as good as one can expect from one of these newer bikes.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think the biggest improvement was when I changed my TPS (Throttle Position Sensor), The reason I changed mine was because around 50 mph the throttle would stumble ever so slightly, after replacing it, the problem went away! I have a 2000 V92C with a Windshield and leather saddle bags, I checked my mileage again last week and am still getting 40 GPM.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If mileage is your goal it seems to me buying a large bore v twin is not the way to go. I had a Suzuki Burgman 400 that got 65 mpg it is a great scooter but when I (with wifes prodding) decided to sell either the Victory or the Burgman it was no contest, I'm keepin my v twin, I was tired of the Harley guys blowing kisses at me anyway.

With my overdrive pulley the Vic gets more mileage than before but I installed it for less noise and lower rpms at cruise not for mileage.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If mileage is your goal it seems to me buying a large bore v twin is not the way to go. I had a Suzuki Burgman 400 that got 65 mpg it is a great scooter but when I (with wifes prodding) decided to sell either the Victory or the Burgman it was no contest, I'm keepin my v twin, I was tired of the Harley guys blowing kisses at me anyway.

With my overdrive pulley the Vic gets more mileage than before but I installed it for less noise and lower rpms at cruise not for mileage.
Bluefish; A big bore V twin is not the best for mileage but it sure beats a V8 pick up truck! I did see those scooter at a dealer by my house, but could not get myself to get on one. I drive 45 miles one way to work, mostly highway. I'm happy with my 40 mpg as long as it's not raining or snowing out!

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
I have consistently gotten 28-32 mpg with stock windshield. Drilled air filter housing, K&N, drilled out exhaust as instructed on a post, changed plugs, all to no avail. Removing windshield has pushed it up to a whopping 35 mpg, but the wind noise is killing my ears even with plugs and Windjammer II on full face. Any suggestions re mpg would be welcomed. :confused:
Do you know what most bikes your model got stock? Do you have a fuel controller on the bike already?
If so it might just need to have the setting changed. But if not....

A faulty temperature sensor will definitely screw up your overall mileage. It leaves the ecm in enrichen mode. It feeds extra fuel to the motor thinking it isn't up to temperature. You might get a manual and see if there is a procedure to check it there. Also keep in mind that too lean will also give you equally bad millage as too rich.

At this point you might be best off to take it to a dealer and pay them to hook it up and to make sure that all the sensors are within parameters. Ask them to make a list of any sensors that look like they are on the far ends of the tolerances and which ones are the worse. But first ask around and find someone who understands tuning cause a lot of techs just out of school aren't worth the powder to blow them up with when it comes to understanding the finer points of EFI and those finer points are where the mileage is hidden.
Make sure you make an appointment with the guy who really knows EFI. If he is sick that day bring the bike back when you are sure he will be working on it. Be sure that everyone is on the same page when you make the appointment and if they tell you that every tech is equal go somewhere else. Don't argue with them, just walk away, you are at the wrong shop.

All sensors have a tolerance or a range that is acceptable. Without this acceptable range they would be too expensive to mass produce.
A cylinder temperature sensor maybe reading a little low and still be considered a pass. If you then have a couple of other sensors that are also not accurate but not bad enough to be seen as bad they will give the ecm a faulty picture of how much fuel it should be delivering.
This is referred to as stacking tolerances.

Someone with experience will be able to look at everything and say this is low and that is high. Someone just starting out won't have that ability. If you live near one of the dyno guru's here pay the money and have them run the bike if they think they can help. They might be able to spot your problem in short order especially on the dyno where the bike is actually at running temp. They need some way to be able to read the actual sensors so I would think they would need the digital wrench or dealer diagnoses equipment and all of them may not have that. Unless you want to add a fuel controller some of them might not be able to assist you.

Or you can work your way through the sensor diagnoses in the manual and map out your sensors, and try replacing those that test farthest from ideal and see how you do. Anything to do with sensing throttle position or engine temp should be suspect.
Lastly injectors can leak so maybe running some seafoam through it is worth a try. It's cheap and doesn't seem to hurt anything.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts