Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently relocated to eastern Tennessee so I decided to join a group ride yesterday. That was the first time in a group larger than 4 bikes for me, there were 10 in yesterday's ride. I have no idea where we were, we've only been in Tennessee for a couple weeks. The roads were great, for the most part, pavement is in great shape, compared to NY, and the scenery was cool. The ride was about 250 miles total for me. I'll admit it, I was tired, its been a couple of months since I've been on the bike more than 25 miles at a time. Looking forward to exploring more Tennessee roads.
Note to self, don't get behind the HD with the straight pipes.:eek

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Sounds like a great day , K . If not for my family growing exponentially (Huge amounts of grand kids both here and coming , and my Mom) I would be headed south too !cheers

·
Premium Member
1,906 Posts
Sounds awesome! I wish I could go up there and ride! Enjoy it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
We were in the Ga/NC area last week. Great weather. Just got home yesterday from trip. 1757 miles total. And yea I learned about these bikes with the loud mufflers and following them. Let me get in front of that racket.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
We recently relocated to eastern Tennessee so I decided to join a group ride yesterday. That was the first time in a group larger than 4 bikes for me, there were 10 in yesterday's ride. I have no idea where we were, we've only been in Tennessee for a couple weeks. The roads were great, for the most part, pavement is in great shape, compared to NY, and the scenery was cool. The ride was about 250 miles total for me. I'll admit it, I was tired, its been a couple of months since I've been on the bike more than 25 miles at a time. Looking forward to exploring more Tennessee roads.
Note to self, don't get behind the HD with the straight pipes.:eek
WTF?! We only got that one ride together, before you relocated. This a permanent move?

Maybe I'll drop you a line, next time I'm planning to be in the area (next spring). I have a daughter & family in Asheville, which is sort of right around the corner from eastern TN, and I ride down a few times each year. BTW, even interstates in the region -- I'm thinking I-40, going west from Asheville, and I-26, as it crosses the big hills between TN and NC -- make for some pretty nice rides. Not as good as the smaller roads, of course, but pretty nice.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WTF?! We only got that one ride together, before you relocated. This a permanent move?

Maybe I'll drop you a line, next time I'm planning to be in the area (next spring). I have a daughter & family in Asheville, which is sort of right around the corner from eastern TN, and I ride down a few times each year. BTW, even interstates in the region -- I'm thinking I-40, going west from Asheville, and I-26, as it crosses the big hills between TN and NC -- make for some pretty nice rides. Not as good as the smaller roads, of course, but pretty nice.
Yeah Bill, my wife finally retired, so this is it for us, you gotta love the taxes down here after living up in the tax zone. I'll still be watching the news to see if they can throw crooked politicians out.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Yeah Bill, my wife finally retired, so this is it for us, you gotta love the taxes down here after living up in the tax zone. I'll still be watching the news to see if they can throw crooked politicians out.
When my wife retired, we moved, too ... from Schodack to Niskayuna. Oh, well.

They haven't arrested any politician in, um, a few weeks now up here. I'll keep you posted. Yeah, we'd probably move south, but there are some grandkids in the area that need spoiling.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Follow up ride

Instead of starting a new thread I'll just add to this one. So the wife and I finished our chores early yesterday and decided to just take a short ride, it was 70 degrees and blue skies. We figured we would give the Foothills Parkway a ride. We only had a notion of where that is. So the Parkway was beautiful, excellent views and minimal traffic. We come to the end of the road and decide to take a left to see the Fontana dam. Just minding our business and cruising along, the road gets tighter and turns start to get pretty tight. Traffic is roaring in the opposite direction and we wonder what's going on, about 50 turns into the stretch I realize we are on the Dragon. This is the second trip for the wife and she was riding great up until the time a handful of hyper bikes came ripping around the turn gobbling up half our lane. I'll admit it I about **** my pants. It shook the wife up big time she went rigid on the back and fought every turn the rest of the way. We stopped at Deals Gap to take a break and relax. Not wanting to tackle the Dragon again we decided to take another way home. Heading south on 129 we wound up on the Cherohala Parkway the temps quickly dropped to 50 and it was cold. We eventually came around to the south side of the mountain and the sun felt good, bringing temps back to 60. The views were simply stunning. The leaves were mostly gone on the north side of the mountain and lots of color still available on the south side. As we got into the flat lands the roads were very..... desolate. A couple of cops lay waiting in the 40 mph zones. But we were just cruising along enjoy the night. We picked up a route north and headed back to Maryville. All in all a good ride, we were sore and tired but it was a good experience. 150 miles later we were back home. I'm not sure I would do the Dragon again with the wife on board or even without her, it was a zoo. Maybe on a weekday it would be better.
View attachment 199202

·
Premium Member
1,906 Posts
Yeah....I'd love to ride it, but a lot of sport bike riders are idiots! They have a death wish. My buddy and I were heading to Bike Week in Daytona one morning about 14 yrs ago. We were on I-295 heading south and on the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckman_Bridge Buckman Bridge. We just got to the bottom of the hump when this idiot on a rice rocket came zipping between us and a semi in the right lane and then lane split two cars in front of it. When we stopped at the first rest area on I-95 in St. John's County to wait for some buddies, we talked about how that fool would probably not make it to Bike Week. Sure enough, about 25 miles from Daytona, traffic came to a screeching halt. We inched up in about an hour's time and what we saw was horrific. That same sport bike was in pieces all over I-95 and they were just putting a sheet over the rider. Makes no sense. He died riding like a fool. He never made it to Bike Week. :frown

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
One thing about Sportbikes , the moment you disrespect them , they kill you .

·
Premium Member
1,906 Posts
One thing about Sportbikes , the moment you disrespect them , they kill you .
Not just sport bikes...any bike! Seen an old drunk guy drop his bike at a light on US 1 in Daytona one year. He wasn't wearing a helmet. His head hit the asphalt pretty hard and he didn't survive. One of my friends no longer gets drunk and rides.

Saw another guy leaving out of the Rooster on US 1, here in Jacksonville, while drunk as a skunk. He laid his Harley down and did all sorts of damage. He told us later it cost him a few grand out of pocket. I would say that was a lucky day for him. Another buddy got drunk and totaled his Harley. Geeze...do they ever learn?

Reactions: adamnorthup

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
True that Maddog , true that .

Reactions: MaddogUSMC

·
Premium Member
8,994 Posts
Not just sport bikes...any bike! Seen an old drunk guy drop his bike at a light on US 1 in Daytona one year. He wasn't wearing a helmet. His head hit the asphalt pretty hard and he didn't survive. One of my friends no longer gets drunk and rides.

Saw another guy leaving out of the Rooster on US 1, here in Jacksonville, while drunk as a skunk. He laid his Harley down and did all sorts of damage. He told us later it cost him a few grand out of pocket. I would say that was a lucky day for him. Another buddy got drunk and totaled his Harley. Geeze...do they ever learn?

short answer...No they don't.

·
Registered
569 Posts
short answer...No they don't.

I learned by never getting a sport bike. I did plenty of stupid stuff when I was a teen, like jumping off 2nd and 3rd stories into the pool, riding BMX bikes off the roof etc. I am still paying for it all.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Instead of starting a new thread I'll just add to this one. So the wife and I finished our chores early yesterday and decided to just take a short ride, it was 70 degrees and blue skies. We figured we would give the Foothills Parkway a ride. We only had a notion of where that is. So the Parkway was beautiful, excellent views and minimal traffic. We come to the end of the road and decide to take a left to see the Fontana dam. Just minding our business and cruising along, the road gets tighter and turns start to get pretty tight. Traffic is roaring in the opposite direction and we wonder what's going on, about 50 turns into the stretch I realize we are on the Dragon. This is the second trip for the wife and she was riding great up until the time a handful of hyper bikes came ripping around the turn gobbling up half our lane. I'll admit it I about **** my pants. It shook the wife up big time she went rigid on the back and fought every turn the rest of the way. We stopped at Deals Gap to take a break and relax. Not wanting to tackle the Dragon again we decided to take another way home. Heading south on 129 we wound up on the Cherohala Parkway the temps quickly dropped to 50 and it was cold. We eventually came around to the south side of the mountain and the sun felt good, bringing temps back to 60. The views were simply stunning. The leaves were mostly gone on the north side of the mountain and lots of color still available on the south side. As we got into the flat lands the roads were very..... desolate. A couple of cops lay waiting in the 40 mph zones. But we were just cruising along enjoy the night. We picked up a route north and headed back to Maryville. All in all a good ride, we were sore and tired but it was a good experience. 150 miles later we were back home. I'm not sure I would do the Dragon again with the wife on board or even without her, it was a zoo. Maybe on a weekday it would be better.
View attachment 199202
Excellent riding area, all right -- perhaps the best in the country (although folks in Colorado and elsewhere may disagree). A few notes:

- If I understand the scenario correctly, you did US 129 starting from the TN side, winding up in NC. That's the safer way on the Dragon, IMHO, because you're mostly on the outside of the hills. Thus, marginally wider curves and better sight lines, most of the time, than doing it the other way.

I've always started from the NC side, and then, when finished for a few miles, turned around and gone back to NC.

- I have a daughter and family in Asheville, NC. Every few years, I'll take a day off from a visit to go and ride in the area. And whenever I buy a new bike, I get in a ride there; the Dragon may be over-hyped, the Cherohala may be better, etc., but it's one way to get some nice on-bike pics of a new scoot, what with the professional photographers camped out there ("Killboy" being the most famous).

I try to do the Dragon starting around 10am midweek, as it seems to be least crowded then (and the time when some of the photographers set up). Too cold for me to ride down now, and I'd be afraid of the leaves on the ground, anyway. Wet leaves are about as slick as things get.

- There are, as you're discovering, lots of great rides in the area.

That daughter finished her college work at Western Carolina University, and she and her husband lived in Silva and Dillsboro. Just getting back to that area, coming from Asheville (c. two hours away) is a nice warm-up to tighter curves, and always makes me smile.

I recommend that you get Dale Coyner's Motorcycle Journeys Through the Appalachians -- see https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Journeys-Through-Appalachians-3rd/dp/0760352682/ . While not specifically focused on TN, you'll see lots of maps and day trips of nearby areas.

Have fun next spring.

Attachments

Reactions: MaddogUSMC

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
I know what you mean about taxes. Left NY a while ago. I don't regret it one bit. Riding time down here is a LOT longer and the roads are sooo much better. You can actually enjoy the ride.
We ride in Tenn at least once a year. We ride from Roanoke down to Maggie Valley, up in the smokies and back again. Great country. I will never do the Dragon again. EVER. way too many morans on that road. just a couple of wqeeks ago, a guy on a Victory was killed by some moran on a BMW flying around the corner and nailed him in the rear. Pushed him over the steep cliff. of course the BMW guy survived.:mad::mad: IF i ever go again, I am going to strap my glock on.

·
Premium Member
8,994 Posts
I learned by never getting a sport bike. I did plenty of stupid stuff when I was a teen, like jumping off 2nd and 3rd stories into the pool, riding BMX bikes off the roof etc. I am still paying for it all.
I'm referring to riding drunk, not riding sportbikes.....
I ride a mix of bikes and usually have a sportbike in my garage as well as a cruiser, and something old too.
Current sportbike covers both bases being a 1985 model Kawasaki GPZ900R, fastest, beat handling and braking bike of its era, capable of 150 mph off the showroom floor.
Also have a Honda C90 step-thru scooter in my possession.
And have the use of a 998cc V Twin, Can Am Spyder, which can be just as deadly as the C90 Honda to a drunken fool.

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
When I went and did the Dragon, it was on a Wednesday morning around 9:00, we drove out of Cherokee and got over to Fontana damn and hooked the left right after there, rental car......Sport mode, manual shift mode and it was a blast even in that turd of a Hyundai, at least we had the six cylinder and not the four banger, both ways in and out I only saw maybe two other cars, passenger didn't know why I spent over a hour to get there, but on the return trip back she knew why, told her about the tree of shame and she didn't believe it till she saw it, came back to Cherokee and spent the rest of the day till sun down doing pictures and some hikes, I really wanna be there in the winter time.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I'm referring to riding drunk, not riding sportbikes.....
I ride a mix of bikes and usually have a sportbike in my garage as well as a cruiser, and something old too.
Current sportbike covers both bases being a 1985 model Kawasaki GPZ900R, fastest, beat handling and braking bike of its era, capable of 150 mph off the showroom floor.
Also have a Honda C90 step-thru scooter in my possession.
And have the use of a 998cc V Twin, Can Am Spyder, which can be just as deadly as the C90 Honda to a drunken fool.
Gotcha on the riding drunk, what I was getting at was that if I had a sportbike as a teen, I would have been stupid.

·
Premium Member
8,994 Posts
Gotcha on the riding drunk, what I was getting at was that if I had a sportbike as a teen, I would have been stupid.
Ahhh yes, I get ya now,
As a teenager, I was talked out of a Kawasaki Mach III 500cc 2-stroke triple by the salesman, who told me that more youngsters were being killed on that bike than the rest of them put together.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts