Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm an active retired guy in my 60's. Have a 2014 Cross Country Tour that I had shipped from North Carolina to my home here in San Leandro, CA. (just South of Oakland). Also own a 2017 (very slightly hopped-up) 2017 Indian Scout. My first bike was a Honda 90 when 15 yrs old. Got a Triumph 500 Trophy Twin(carbs) after high school. Have had a few misc bikes in between but stopped riding when had children. Rented a Harly a time or two over the past decade. So really, it's been about 50 years between my Triumph & my Victory. Putting a few thousand miles under my belt w the Indian over the past cpl years prepared me for this (relative) monster. Surprisingly easy to ride. See ya in the "what the f---s wrong w my bike!" section.

Image; w my Indian bought for putting some miles under my butt to prepare for my (larger) Victory w Arlen Ness

Attachments

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
Welcome from another left coaster. That is a gorgeous Scout - nice colors and I like the saddle. The XCT is a great touring bike, but I find it rather top heavy compared the the XR.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!...makes sense it would be a bit top heavy w large seat and trunk added w 'Tour' pkg. I'll be removing those while I get used to the bike & put back on when confident to ride my wife. I tried long trip on the Scout & came to realize it's not really a long range bike in my book. Maybe w some upgraded suspension but more of a hot rod than a tour bike.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I'm an active retired guy in my 60's. Have a 2014 Cross Country Tour that I had shipped from North Carolina to my home here in San Leandro, CA. (just South of Oakland). Also own a 2017 (very slightly hopped-up) 2017 Indian Scout. My first bike was a Honda 90 when 15 yrs old. Got a Triumph 500 Trophy Twin(carbs) after high school. Have had a few misc bikes in between but stopped riding when had children. Rented a Harly a time or two over the past decade. So really, it's been about 50 years between my Triumph & my Victory. Putting a few thousand miles under my belt w the Indian over the past cpl years prepared me for this (relative) monster. Surprisingly easy to ride. See ya in the "what the f---s wrong w my bike!" section.

Image; w my Indian bought for putting some miles under my butt to prepare for my (larger) Victory w Arlen Ness
Welcome from the quickly becoming Fall Elmvale ON Canada....

Like the scout....love my cc trunk and all...8)

Ride safe and enjoy the forum,

Rob

Reactions: rgaryb

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I Really appreciate the Welcomes & the knowledgeable, helpful Information & opinions. It may appear so, but I'm not a total (in italics) moron re mechanics and fuel delivery systems [just a bit of one!] mixing up vernacular of 'the squirty things' between carbs & FI. ;) In any event, unlikely I'll be working on it as my days of wkg on engines ended at the time FI & micro chips got involved & even then tried to stick to minor repairs...although I did do a whole top end on my 55 283 chevy decades ago!...in the event anyone here is old enough to know what that is, LOL. Re tires; I read a recent article saying if years old but still 'looking' good and no cracks one quick to consider if still 'sticky' enough for cornering (apparently the rubber hardens over time) is to push thumb nail into rubber & see if it feels like elasticity is still there...or is it hard as a rock, in which case probably best to replace rather than find out [on a corner] should have replaced.

I'll get on it when I return in Oct & hope I'll have enough good weather after repairs to ride beyond the 30 mins I've had on the bike taking it to the storage unit for vaca. Will try to follow site during travel.

Very Best Regards,
Gary

1 - 7 of 7 Posts