Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here, just signed up this afternoon. I'm a long time rider (39 years) presently riding a VTX 1800R.

While recently visiting a friend in Pensacola, I laid eyes on a 2011 XC at the dealership. I'm really taken with the looks and features. I took a test ride on a 2010 XR and was impressed with the ride and handling; enough to consider purchasing one as a second bike.

Things that caught my attention were the very load shifting noise of the transmission; a disquieting clunk when shifting either up or down. After reading a few of the posts here, I got the impression that the 2011 models have addressed this issue. Is this correct?

I'd also like to know if the stock windshield is tall enough for most riders, or is it somewhat ornamental and needs to be changed for the taller version? I average 12-15k a year on a bike, and I don't like the prospect of fighting the wind that much.

I'd also like for you guys to share any "pet peeves" you have with the XC. I really would like to know what I'm getting myself into, before I get there.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Vics do make some unique noises especially around the primary area as they are gear driven but they are normal. Yes it does shift hard but so does lots of other bikes. That said these bike are tuff as nails and run awesome IMO. The stock shield has got to go. I'm 6'3" and I bought a 15" shield from Ceebaileys. I just bought a 2011 XC about 2 months ago and love the bike noise and all. Before that I owned a Kingpin. As someone told me on one of the forums "Put some louder pipes on it and ride it like you stole it!"

·
Registered
84 Posts
Most people that are average or above height change the windshield. There is a lot of talk about the new Cee Baileys Dragon shield.

I have the Victory flip on mine and it works great for me at 6'0" and my wife at 5'9" on the back.
Some type of lowers , much the same as the VTX here are needed.
Alot of people have installed pull-back bars. I have not needed to but I am a 46 long , have to thank genetics for that. :)

I test rode a '10 model before I rode the '11 and yes the tranny is not as noisey and seemed to shift easier. It still makes some noise but new pipes took care of that.
I bought a 2011 late last year and am coming off of a 2002 1800 VTX Retro.

My observations :

Power - VTX
Torque - VTX
Ride - XC
Handling - XC
6 gears - XC
Fit and Finish - XC
Storage - XC
Heat from engine- this is a little early to tell but I think the water cooled VTX didn't feel as hot. So - VTX
Brakes- not as many miles on the XC but as of now the VTX's link brakes worked great in several close calls and never slid the bike sideways - VTX

I loved my VTX it was and is a great motorcycle, Honda needed to do some upgrades instead of dropping it.

I love the Victory Cross Country and get nothing but compliments on it werever we ride.

As of now I couldn't be happier with my new scoot, overall it fits the type of riding I do these days.
Keep reading the board and you will hear more about the different gripes and pluses of the bike.

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
If you are referring to the XR's windshield, I'm 5-10 and have the stock (mid height) windscreen and find it perfect. Just low enough to look over and provides supreme wind and rain protection with the addition of the lower wind deflectors. You are going to wait a long time to hear any real gripes. Re the kluncky shifts; I have turned them into clicks be preloading the shifter - which one should be doing anyway.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to everyone, especially BigRedXerII; the side by side comparison is extremely helpful. I am surprised to hear you say that you feel the VTX has more power and torque than the XC. I've read where the 106 produces 98 hp and figuring a 5% power loss through the belt drive would leave you with 93 hp at the rear wheel vs. the VTX's 106 hp with a 15% power loss through the final drive leaving it with 89 hp at the rear wheel. The handling and storage really are obvious, but it's good to hear that the XC has a better ride; my VTX has a ride like a log truck these days. I'm in the process of rebuilding the front forks and switching to Amsoil medium suspension fluid in hopes of improving it. I'm still up in the air about the rear springs; $500+ for a set of Progressive 440's is a little bit hard to swallow.

Please keep posting any quirks or gripes that any of you have on the XC. One man's complaints can be another man's praise. I just want to understand what I'm bargaining for before I have to pay for it!

Thanks again!

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
You could search the forum and collect a list of what everybody gripes about. Trust me, even though this bike is near perfect, you'll find complaints, like:
- bike comes in red, but not the shade of red I like;
- accessories are too expensive;
- not enough after market goodies to blow your cash on;
- the sun's too bright on sunny days;
- the rain's too wet when in 6th gear...

You get the picture. Spend some time on the forum before you buy and get a feel for what's being asked, and what problems are being reported. That alone will put your worries to rest. ;)

·
Premium Member
13,167 Posts
The posted hp/tq numbers from Vic are at the crank. No one seems to know why they started doing that all of a sudden. Anyway; the numbers for a stock XC are 80 hp / 97 tq at the rear wheel.

There are simple changes that can be made to increase that around 5 hp/tq.

http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?p=23673#post23673

The suggestions in the above link are just that; suggestions. There are lots of other options when it comes to fuel control and pipes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks to everyone, especially BigRedXerII; the side by side comparison is extremely helpful. I am surprised to hear you say that you feel the VTX has more power and torque than the XC. I've read where the 106 produces 98 hp and figuring a 5% power loss through the belt drive would leave you with 93 hp at the rear wheel vs. the VTX's 106 hp with a 15% power loss through the final drive leaving it with 89 hp at the rear wheel. The handling and storage really are obvious, but it's good to hear that the XC has a better ride; my VTX has a ride like a log truck these days. I'm in the process of rebuilding the front forks and switching to Amsoil medium suspension fluid in hopes of improving it. I'm still up in the air about the rear springs; $500+ for a set of Progressive 440's is a little bit hard to swallow.

Please keep posting any quirks or gripes that any of you have on the XC. One man's complaints can be another man's praise. I just want to understand what I'm bargaining for before I have to pay for it!

Thanks again!
The VTX1800 definitely has more power. I've test ridden the Victory XC (2011) and am going again today to ride another. The power isn't quite there, but the handling far outweighs that of the VTX. There really is no comparison IMO. I expected it to be better, but not that much better. Good luck with your decision. thumb up

·
Registered
243 Posts
The only noise I have of the bike is the whiney noise of the primary.On the 2010 bike 4 th and 6th gear have more noise to them than the others. The 2011 bike was suppose to fix that. Just about everyone makes 2 mods that get this bike......1. a higher windshield, 2 lowers. Those 2 mods take care of all buffeting issues that come stock with the bike.
Also, my bike before this one was vtx 1300 c. The ride btwn the bikes aren't even comparible. On the VTX my bike really never felt comfortable going over 65........I"m constantly having to make myself drive the XC under 80. As far as driving in the twisties is concerned, hands down the XC.

·
Registered
693 Posts
So, I'm going to assume you're looking at the XR as that's the one you road. I'm 6-2, 210 with a 32" inseam. Ride with a half helmet, about 7K a year (hope to increase now that I have storage), most is without a shield. I'm coming from an '06 Vulcan Mean Streak.

I have the regular height shield and have no issues with it. I look over a bit as that's my preference. Don't really get much buffeting that I'd complain about, but again, I ride without a shield most of the time.

As for the feel of more power from your VTX, I'd be surprised if it is quicker. I know my Mean Streak felt quicker, but I haven't even broken in the XR yet and went against a friend with a Meanie and buried him. I think it's because of the drive shaft...that big jerk at the beginning feels like some oomph.

As for complaints? I don't have too many so far other than I haven't had a chance to mod it much as I've had it two weeks. Here's the short list:

-Expensive compared to most bikes, but (obviously) was worth buying to me.
-Floor boards...still not used to those dumb things but they are more comfortable! I keep going for my pegs.
-In stock configuration, it sounds like a freaking sewing machine when you're riding it.
-Honestly, the noise was an early complaint of mine and I looked in to it before buying. There's nothing to worry about. I have a 2011, and it's still noticeable, but I'm already tuning it out.
-Key location. Don't want to have anything hanging from it or it can scratch the wedge.

So, everything for me has been superficial so far. And I haven't even been able to ride in nice weather yet...all 45F and under. ha ha!

·
Registered
183 Posts
My 2011's transmission doesn't wine at all. I put a Cee baileys windshield on and it improved the buffeting 3 fold. I test drove a VTX 1800 with bags and a windshielld and I went straight to the interstate. It didn't have the passing power of the Vic. Maybe it had issues. Only 2500 miles on it. No offense to you VTX guys but I couln't stand it.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I went from an '03 VTX1800R to my '10 XC and I'm glad I did. The VTX was a powerful bike that rode like a buckboard. My VTX had hard bags, windshield, Sidewinder pipes, quick-release National shields, Ultimate X seat and pillion. I rode it for several years. So, I had a lot of experience with the bike. I was considering switching to a full fairing with stereo because I wanted tunes. My wife and I were taking a lot of day rides. That's when I started looking around for a better touring bike and after a variety of test rides on multiple bikes, I decided on the XC.

The XC has attention-grabbing looks, a six speed (I constantly searched for a sixth gear on the VTX), iPhone, full fairing with a kick-ass stereo and great interface, comfortable seating for me and my wife (no aftermarket seats needed), good power (not great like the VTX but certainly still powerful), much more comfortable ride, a lot more storage, factory cruise control, standard stereo controls on the handlebar, self-canceling turn signals, better wind protection, trunk with integrated speakers and power outlet. Essentially, the XC had everything I wanted from a touring bike from Honda that didn't have an old man stigma (aka Goldwing).

The Honda's link braking is better than the XC's standard breaking and is more powerful. That's it.

Gripes about the XC? Upgrades to the windshield and lowers are absolutely needed for this bike. Some people hate the noise of the 4th and 6th gear on the '10. It doesn't bother me. It was difficult, initially, to find neutral but familiarity with the bike has alleviated this issue.

The XC is a significantly better bike than the VTX but really they are different bikes for different purposes: the XC is for touring, the VTX is for cruising. If you want a big twin bagger, the XC is the way to go.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I am about 5' 8" and added a Gustaffson +1 tinted windshield, that is perfect for my height. I just need to add the lowers and that will take care of the wind issue. Tranny a little clunky. Besides that I love the bike. I have a hard time keeping it at the speed limit,don't relize that till you look at the speedo.Traded my vulcan on this xc.I tried the victory +3 windshield but it was right in my line of vision. If anyone is interested in that windshield let me know.Probably sell it for $100 just to recoup some of my money. Had it on the bike for about a hour then put the stock shield back on till I got my Gustaffson. Great Bike.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts