Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, it sounds like groaning. It only occurs at very low speeds, regardless of being in gear or out. When the brakes are off. I can feel the vibration through the handlebars. Bike has 33,000 miles on it. 2011 Cross Country. Had brakes replaced a couple months ago but haven't ridden the bike much since I bought the Highball. May have heard the groaning after the brake job but dismissed it as "break in".
Rode the bike to Laughlin two weeks ago and did not notice it. (400 miles.) Had both tires replaced last Friday. I am riding with the wife on board yesterday and she noticed it. She hasn't been on the bike for a year.

I am guessing I have the wrong brake pads and they are dragging or for some reason, my front bearings are shot and they are grinding.

What say you?
Are either of these guesses feasible?
Could it be something else?

·
Super Moderator
6,374 Posts
Does it happen only when you squeeze the brakes, only when you release the brakes, or both? I would suggest belt noise...

·
Premium Member
6,192 Posts
Ha ja ha ja the wife noticed the groaning too at the front ??

Ok could you jack up the bike and spinn the front wheel and listen again ?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok. Took it out this morning and could not hear it. Slow speeds in the neighborhood. Decided to take it on the freeway. After 15 minutes at highway speeds(75 mph), I noticed it again when coming to a stoplight. The noise persists in gear, out of gear, even coasting with the engine off.( but less so). No change in the sound when I apply the brakes.

·
Premium Member
2,411 Posts
Makes sense. The trigger was changing the tire. Is this something that will work itself out as the belt continue to age?
Should I get it adjusted?
What I do is loosen the axle nut on the left. Loosen each adjuster nut about 1/6 of a turn. Re-torque the axle nut and the adjusters. Repeat if it still makes noise. If it starts chirping when cold it is too loose.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What I do is loosen the axle nut on the left. Loosen each adjuster nut about 1/6 of a turn. Re-torque the axle nut and the adjusters. Repeat if it still makes noise. If it starts chirping when cold it is too loose.
You are the best!
sir!
Thank you.

·
Premium Member
6,192 Posts
Bujee did you adjusted the belt tension ?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bujee did you adjusted the belt tension ?
I didn't have the tools but got a local mechanic to do it for me for $20.00. Sounds great now. Probably my imagination but runs better too.

Thanks again for the advice.

·
Premium Member
8,938 Posts
Just imagine what a polish would do then Dill.

Glad the OP found the problem.....I was about to suggest the big bike could have been jealous of the Highball and groaning it's discontent.
How silly!
Does Your Victory have a personality?
Maybe this should be a poll question.....

·
Premium Member
2,411 Posts
I had a rear tire put on by a local shop last week. Saturday, I figured maybe I should see what they did with the belt adjustment. Overnight cold the belt was as tight as a piano string! I'm glad I checked.

·
Premium Member
8,938 Posts
I had a rear tire put on by a local shop last week. Saturday, I figured maybe I should see what they did with the belt adjustment. Overnight cold the belt was as tight as a piano string! I'm glad I checked.
Your local shop is doing it wrong then.
Gold Coast Motorcycle Tyres have changed my rear tyre 4 times and the adjustment hasnt been touched.
No need to if wheel is R +R'd properly.
Im due for another rear Night Dragon real soon.
And with my exhaust theres no need to drop the shock link bolt either:)

·
Super Moderator
6,374 Posts
My brother-in-law has a 2012 Fat Bob. I was working on it last weekend with him. Apparently the belts on those are supposed to be super tight (like a piano string).

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
My brother-in-law has a 2012 Fat Bob. I was working on it last weekend with him. Apparently the belts on those are supposed to be super tight (like a piano string).
I have an HD softail similar in some ways to the Fat Bob. Mine is older - 2006 and it is a Softail Heritage (different than a Heritage Softail - crazy HD names). I do most of my own service and repair work and the service manual calls for a very similar slack in the belt as does Victory for the XCT. The specs are 1/4" to 5/16" deflection upwards under 10 lbs of force for ALL 2006 Softail models. Certainly not as tight as a piano string. Of course, the Fat Bob is newer and is in the Dyna class not the Softail. Perhaps the Fat Bob is tighter but perhaps your friend has it too tight. If he has not already done so, have him consult a service manual for the specs. If he has done so and the belt is specified to be really tight, then please ignore all of my ramblings.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Premium Member
2,411 Posts
Your local shop is doing it wrong then.
Gold Coast Motorcycle Tyres have changed my rear tyre 4 times and the adjustment hasnt been touched.
No need to if wheel is R +R'd properly.
Im due for another rear Night Dragon real soon.
And with my exhaust theres no need to drop the shock link bolt either:)
I understand. Next time I'll take the tire off myself. I was hoping to save some time, but it took them 3 days anyhow. I hate when you can see they did something wrong. Makes me wonder what else they did wrong.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts