Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I downshift from 2nd to 1st, I feel a growling vibe in the clutch lever as I engage the clutch or use the friction zone to maneuver at low speed. Could this be a bad bearing in the clutch assembly?:confused:

·
Registered
30 Posts
When I first got my bike I had a groaning noise at low speeds.. turns out my belt was too tight. They adjusted it at the 500 mile service and I havent heard it since. Never felt anything in the clutch though, just heard the noise..

·
Registered
289 Posts
When I downshift from 2nd to 1st, I feel a growling vibe in the clutch lever as I engage the clutch or use the friction zone to maneuver at low speed. Could this be a bad bearing in the clutch assembly?:confused:
first off - are you still moving? then stop doing it

what i mean to say is that i rarely go 2-1 with the wheels moving

i have no issues...but then i do the above.

same with my jeep..

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
first off - are you still moving? then stop doing it

what i mean to say is that i rarely go 2-1 with the wheels moving

i have no issues...but then i do the above.

same with my jeep..
Thats how I run most of the time too, but occasionally I find myself in that 5-8mph creep that I use 1st for.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
You can downshift while moving. I just turned 50,000 miles and my transmission is fine. Its easier for me to get first while the RPM's are up a little.Stopped is a bitch. I know you guys with the newer bikes have the "neutral finder upgrade", but you can still downshift while rolling.I have ridden all the newer bike too.

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
Is this what you're describing? http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=7361

I think a lot of folks are dealing with it if it is... Not quite dialed in on the solution yet--if there is one...

·
13,262 Posts
Not knowing how new your bike is makes it hard for a good answer.
New bike less then a 1000 miles on them are not broke in so there is a time for all parts to break in.
I very seldom go from 2nd to first and if I do I'm under 5mph and I do it with a firm down ward push.
I never use it for breaking and you shouldn't either

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not knowing how new your bike is makes it hard for a good answer.
New bike less then a 1000 miles on them are not broke in so there is a time for all parts to break in.
I very seldom go from 2nd to first and if I do I'm under 5mph and I do it with a firm down ward push.
I never use it for breaking and you shouldn't either
The bike has 1600 mi. No one told me at MSF class, that I should not shift to 1st from 2nd in decel. I find myself doing it when I approach a red light and it turns green just before I stop completely. Should I leave it in 2nd and lug it in those situations?

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
No reason not to shift, if I recall correctly MSF teaches that you SHOULD shift to first as you brake to a stop (To give you maximum acceleration capability to get out of the way should you see someone about to hit you from behind), but doing it while holding the clutch in, no need to engine brake at those speeds. As for lugging it in 2nd gear, no reason you cant slip it a little and ease it up to speed from 2nd gear if you dont quite come to a stop, just treat it like first gear and ease the clutch in/out to keep the engine rpm's where you want em.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I this is happening when your clutch is in a certain range and it sounds like you're shaking bolts around in a coffee can it's gear mesh. I can't say for sure the 12's or 13's (muliple demo rides were too short and controlled to tell) but it doesn't happen on the 10's and does on the 11's so I'm pretty sure it's a problem that's exaggerated b the neutral finder.

The easy fix is to use the clutch to slow yourself down on 1st to 2nd shifts when you're moving fast enough to use a lot of clutch but not so fast that you lock the rear tire. Under 10 mph don't even bother downshifting until you're stopped.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for your advice. I appreciate it! :)

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I've been reading this and have a strange problem with my gearing as well but mine is when I am downshifting (like coming up to a stoplight) and I got into second but have not switched to first (which I usually don't do till stopped, hold in clutch till stopped) the bike kind of "stumbles". Don't really know any other way to exlplain it but that after a few seconds in second and slowing the bike kind of feels like it is cutting off fuel for or something. This is at lower rpm's but not low enough that I should be in first.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
TNXR,
It sounds like you're getting clutch drag - have you checked the adjustment lately? The other option is fuel, mine has the same symtoms yours has (my clutch is adjusted) but I found that it's not happy with the winter blend fuel I've put in the last couple of tanks.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I will check my clutch slack again to make sure but I think it is OK. I don't get the problem when downshifting through the gears quickly but when I am in second and getting close to needing first when the bike stumbles. I thought at first that I was just getting used to a new bike and needed to shift into first a little sooner but that is not the case. Hopefully this snow/rain will be out of here and I can look more into if I get to ride on Saturday.

·
Registered
530 Posts
My bike now has about 3,200.xx miles on it and sometimes now I'm starting to hear a slight growl in first gear.

It happens sometimes when I'm at a slower speed and let out the clutch perhaps a little too slow, however, I didn't notice it at all when new and am still using my clutch the same way so I'll just have to wait and see if anything develops.

It is colder now though and seems to do it when it's cold and yes I do let my bike warm up for several minutes since it's about 30° in the morning. I worked my clutch a few times in neutral and it seems to help. Maybe it helps to lubricate the wet clutch plates a little better when really cold out since it's 20w oil.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts