1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Has anyone installed a Guard Dawg Keyless system on their XR or XC?

Just wondering, if it is as slick and works as well as they suggest...

Here's a link:
http://www.digitalguarddog.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=DGD&Category_Code=a10040
I thought I wanted one too, when I first got my bike.

The drawback I could find with it is that if your remote battery does die (and it's only supposed to last you about a year), you have to call an 800 number to get your bike started. To me, that's the last thing I want. Stranded somewhere on the side of the road, calling someone to walk me through some steps to get my bike started.

The other shortcoming when it comes to the Cross bikes is that your bike can be armed but your saddlebags can be left unlocked. So you still have to worry about locking the saddlebags. To me, locking the saddlebags is enough reminder to take the key out of ignition.

Maybe take your time and think about it. Sounds like an awesome system (I used to have one on a Corvette I used to own, and loved it). But I'm not convinced it's that great when it comes to implementing it on our bikes.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
The system works really good. I did an install some years ago.

The problems is like Crossroads said, battery life and being stuck.

The other problem is the proximity. If you are in a hotel and you happen to leave the fob near the door or window the system may stay disarmed.

Then again if they want your bike bad enough, its gone.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if the battery life is in issue, could always keep a spare one.

On victory bikes, I couldn't tell how the "power" switch would work with the system. On HD's, they have to turn a switch anyways. Would we need to install a switch, or does the bike "power down" when it arms?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is no switch for the Guard Dawg system.

You hit the engine stop/run switch and thats it.
Does the engine stop/run switch then also control the "electronics"? In other words, when you want to turn on the lights, without actually starting the bike?

I'm liking the idea of this more and more. The dawg tag being motion activated (thus draining the battery) is a bit of a pain. I wonder if their system or another's would just be a push button FOB...

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Does the engine stop/run switch then also control the "electronics"? In other words, when you want to turn on the lights, without actually starting the bike?

I'm liking the idea of this more and more. The dawg tag being motion activated (thus draining the battery) is a bit of a pain. I wonder if their system or another's would just be a push button FOB...

Thats a good question and I don't remember. It was years ago when the installation was done on the guys bike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts