Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I remember the first 45 in our house. My older brother brought home a copy of "Blue Suede Shoes". Prior to that the liveliest music heard in our house was "Swing Music". And, to this day, Glenn Miller is still one of my favorites.

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
Ooooops, sorry. Thought you were headed more in the direction on Mbx's idea of a "chill out tool". :grin
Well I was oblivious to the milk crate reference too as I dont watch the news, Actually gave up on television in 1982 same with newspapers.
No news is good news!
So I only heard of the milk crate incident at small talk at the local AA meeting .
Then it clicked as to what Id read on here.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The music I grew up with and influenced me was played before, during and after WWII. My mom's favorite singer was Buddy Clark - look that up. because I'm certain you never heard of him.
:)QUOTE]

Hey Ricz, my mum worked in Townsville with the US Army for a couple of years during the Big One doing shipping convoy administration, and came back with a wind up gramophone and a stack of 78s all stamped US Army record library, I don't know how many times I heard Buddy sing "Spring is Here" over an ever increasing level of crackles as the years went by, the Andrews Sisters too.
She enjoyed that time of her young life, which did make for some tension when my dad returned from several years in a prisoner of war camp and on the Burma rail road.
But time moves on, and the music young people listen to and are influenced by changes. If parents like the music, it spoils some of the appeal.
My dad's comment on first hearing one of my Crosby, Stills and Nash records was "Who's that bunch of eunuchs singing in a railway tunnel?" Although my daughter's partner introduced Lucero's music to me, and I have gone to a couple of their concerts with him.

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
That was a great bit of family history Steve. And you are a rare one to have heard Buddy Clark. I'm so glad your dad survived that war experience, too many didn't.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
As I noted earlier, my musical taste is pretty diverse. My mother studied music (voice/piano) as a young lady and was in to classical, opera (having once heard Caruso live) as well as "big band", swing and musicals. This was the music I heard at home as a youngster. Then, the 45 of "Blue Suede Shoes" my brother brought home added 'Rock N Roll' to the list. My first purchase was a 45 of Frankie Lymon's "Goody Goody". During the mid to late 60's I saw live acts such as "Little Stevie Wonder", Martha Reeves and The Vandellas, The Four Tops, Herman's Hermits, Sonny & Cher, Gary Puckett and The Union Gap and Paul Revere and The Raiders, The OJ's.

Fifty Years ago tomorrow I was headed east on the New York Throughway with a buddy to a certain farm, listening to tunes when "An important announcement" came on; "The N.Y. Thruway has been shut down! Turn around now and go back.". We pulled over and checked every station we could pick up and pretty much confirmed that it was highly unlikely if not impossible we would reach our destination in time.

A few years later, I went to what is possibly the 'golden star' in my list of concerts, The Doors. It was just one year before Jim Morrison's untimely death.

I've continued to attend concerts and my appreciation for new and different music continues to grow. One of my current favorites, Pink, is from just a few miles away.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Fifty Years ago tomorrow I was headed east on the New York Throughway with a buddy to a certain farm, listening to tunes when "An important announcement" came on; "The N.Y. Thruway has been shut down! Turn around now and go back.". We pulled over and checked every station we could pick up and pretty much confirmed that it was highly unlikely if not impossible we would reach our destination in time.

I remember that the Woodstock movie showed one of the event organizers kicking his BSA B44 into life and heading off across the paddock; is that one of the reasons you have one?

41 - 46 of 46 Posts