Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

For those of you that have them. This may be a dumb question, but in selecting the height, can I get one that I can easily look over with inch to spare, or do I need to get one that I just barely can see OVER?

The reason I ask is I don't want to "cut off" any decent breeze available during hot summer days like right now here in Mass. So in other words does ANY flip help immensely as others with the Ness claim? Or is it more dependent on height selection how much air you will deflect over?

I"m going to a dark smoke flip and I'm just under 5'8". Right now I have the stocker and I've had some seat work done for comfort. With a ruler, it looks like I can easily do +1 but I also know the Guf has bigger straighter sides instead of the tapered edge like stock.

I could also get a 0 flip and it would be like the Ness.............

What's been YOUR experience with the flip with respect to view of the road. I don't want to look THROUGH a flip for sure.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Just throwing this out there. Overall height is only useful to mention if you mention your inseam as well. That way your torso is what is left. Your torso to the top of your head is the real measurement that matters.

I for instance have a 2 inch shorter inseam than my brother(longer torso). Even though we are pretty much the same height, his windshield/lower setup never works as well for me as it does for him.

·
Registered
289 Posts
howdy

i am 5-11 ...or used to be...wear a head rag and put the +2inch flip in smoke on at about 200 miles (+20k now).....perfect for me - i can see over it peachy and (most) of the bugs flip right over....

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
I'm 6'2" and use a +4 - no problems seeing over the top

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've decided to go with the "0" flip because "I don't think I'll be getting any taller" at 58.

Thanks for your input

·
13,002 Posts
So why don't you guys list where you live and what model bike you have. It will only help you in the coming post you do.

No toejam I don't mean you.

·
Premium Member
13,161 Posts
The only time I've liked the dark smoke shields is when they are well below my field of vision. They are a pain at night because you can hardly see through them at all.

My experience has taught me to go light tint or clear now.

Taking a measurement while sitting on the bike can be misleading. I, for instance, will sometimes slouch and other times not so much. The idea behind the flip shields is they are supposed to throw the air higher so they can be lower. This works, again in my experience, ok until a certain mph is reached. Then the speed over powers the ability of the shield to "flip" the air higher and the wind hits lower.

I usually just go down the road and feel with my hand where the wind hits at certain speeds and make a judgement call from there. For me, at 5'10" in the morning 5'9" by nightfall, a +4" (13") works well for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts