Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. Polaris has axed a fair portion of the Victory line. I think one can look at this in one of two ways. Me, I'm a glass half empty type of guy, in that I think this does not bode well for the Victory line. I once owned a Polaris watercraft and got burned when Polaris shut that division down. I think this could be the beginning of the end for Victory and Polaris will focus exclusively on Indian.

Any glass half full opinions???

·
Registered
483 Posts
Allot of opinion / theory going around...I just hope it is not a permanent reduction of models offered. And one guy I talked with suggested that they were going to get more behind the Indian line..eventually dropping Vic altogether....due to low sales volume ?

He stated that there is just not enough interest in an American made motorcycle, to have two competitors gong head-to-head with HD. And since Indian is viewed as more American ?...that is where they will put their effort?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Allot of opinion / theory going around...I just hope it is not a permanent reduction of models offered. And one guy I talked with suggested that they were going to get more behind the Indian line..eventually dropping Vic altogether....due to low sales volume ?

He stated that there is just not enough interest in an American made motorcycle, to have two competitors gong head-to-head with HD. And since Indian is viewed as more American ?...that is where they will put their effort?
That's 1/4 full! I hope you're wrong!

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I must be a half full guy. I see Victory cleaning house on a bunch of look alike bikes so that they can fill out the product line with truly different bikes next year.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I must be a half full guy. I see Victory cleaning house on a bunch of look alike bikes so that they can fill out the product line with truly different bikes next year.
I'm a newbie but have to agree. The indian is selling to buyers that demand it so cut Vics down to the money makers. It's always about $$!

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
If you had 4 types of widgets you were selling and 2 of them sold like hotcakes while the other 2 sat what would you do? Dealers would probably all agree that widgets that sit around wasting floor space eventually must be sold at deep discounts in order to make room for widgets that sell. Not all dealers can afford to take that hit so by eliminating the poor selling widgets they are actually helping dealers sell more of the fast selling widgets.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I like that line of thought. It makes sense. If that is the route they're taking, I'll be interested to see what they come out with. I just hope they aren't going to start putting all of their focus on the injuns.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I'm not sure what's going on but I am worried. I like a lot about the Indians, but the styling although pretty doesn't appeal to me. I am more interested in a modern American motorcycle with a better value proposition than HD. That is what attracted me to Victory in the first place.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I think its more of a trimming the fat thing for Victory, Indian aims to a whole different type of crowd imo, I mean i like Indian's but i don't want one. The classic style isn't what i look for right now. Also i think the fairing on the Chieftain is hideous. Victory is a very modern style motorcycle with very clean uncluttered lines. Polaris just put all the eggs two baskets this year with Slingshot and Indian. So they played is safe with Victory this year. I'm betting 2016 models will see some major design changes. On axing some of the bike models, There was so many bikes Victory had that were pretty much the same thing, I think Polaris stepped back and picked which ones were selling more. I honestly dont think Victory is going anywhere.

·
Premium Member
8,963 Posts
I'm not sure what's going on but I am worried. I like a lot about the Indians, but the styling although pretty doesn't appeal to me. I am more interested in a modern American motorcycle with a better value proposition than HD. That is what attracted me to Victory in the first place.
Amen to that!....
As long as they keep providing spares for my Vegas they can go in whatever direction they please..

·
Registered
483 Posts

Pretty much my position on things as well. Trouble is...are there enough [of] us ?
Without sounding like I'm bashing...which I am not...if you look closely at the HD crowd ?...I really think 'value proposition' is not a big deal too them. Just look at the prices of the "motor-clothes" and such. And how often do ya see an HD rider without an HD shirt ? decal in the window of their car / truck ? HD is the only brand with that kind of [display] loyalty. And those folks make up a huge chunk of the "cruiser" crowd...the exact crowd [demographic] both Vic, & Indian...are trying to win over. I'm not convinced there are enough people [buyers] left [in] that demographic...to make both brands a success

If the 'glitz & glamour' market is the target ?....I believe Indian is the likely arrow to hit it....sorry'bout the pun ;)

·
Registered
784 Posts
The glass is always full. What it is full of and if it is the same thing is the question.

Yes Vic dropped some bikes. I am sure some bean counter is behind it and no company will make every single customer happy with what they offer.

I think Spirit Lake has had their collective heads so far up Indians tailpipe they forgot the girl that brought them to the prom in the first place. It has been very obvious to anyone looking that they neglected Victory.

Jump to NOW. Indian is out and established. Vic has the Gunner and although not my cup-o-tea, it seems to be a hit. Folks vote with their wallet. Vic upped the ante though. LED lighting on the tour bikes and maybe others, I haven't paid attention to the cruisers, Offering things that we have been wanting and at somewhat reasonable pricing. Keyless security and start, shorty antennas, LED replacements, etc. The Magnum. Doesn't interest me a lot but seems to be making a rumble in places. Sounds like someone opened an ear to me.

Vic isn't looking like a line that is going away. They have some sucking it up to do, but look like they are turning the corner.

How's that from a very Vic critical person?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Do we know how much the line has been trimmed? Have they done away with the Cross Roads? Or has it just not been introduced for the new year? I think Victory has a strong lineup of bikes and I think they will continue to make them. Indian is selling and the line is expanding but it's still an Indian style bike and I think Victory will continue to be different and attractive to people. My 2¢.

·
Registered
483 Posts
ya know ?...one thing none of us has mentioned are EPA regs...

HD has gone to [some] liquid cooling , and hidden radiators :) Because as per the engineers...an air cooled / oil cooled engine will never meet pollution restrictions of the future. This subject came up the last time I attended HD school [for work] and this was some years ago. The instructor / teacher maintained that eventually all motorcycles are going to be liquid cooled ??...he estimated ..before 2020...gittin' close.

So maybe this product line change is in fact Vic gearing up for new engine introductions ? engines & cooling systems that would not "fit" current frames ? hence new models must be produced.

......... No, I do not claim to know but...something to consider.

·
13,236 Posts
If you do benefit rides or go bar hopping rides stop and look around there plenty of cross country's and cross roads. Not many vision cause there traveling someplace. If you look for the other Vic models there far a few. So I can see Vic getting ride of a few of them but it does make me wounder on there choice.
I don't think your ever going to see that many Indians on poker runs or charity rides like you do with the Vic. I think Indian riders are bar hoppers on bike night they will show up for the attention.
When every one is at work talking about there week end you know the Indian riders is going to brag how he did a thirty mile ride with the wife to get a burger. He'll never be the one saying we did eight hundred miles to get a fish dinner.
I don't care about the Indian and as for harley and there water cooling for now its to keep the rider cooler and prepare them for whats to come. True die hard riders don't want to see water destroying what they think is a real bike

·
Registered
504 Posts
Half Full here- I see that Vic is just making the best of all types of rides, they have had the most NEW bikes come out in the past few years over any other.

And Johnny you are wakked man - See my blue notes in Johnnys post below... oh yea and I did take artistic authority and corrected all his spelling errors too... ;)

If you do benefit rides or go bar hopping rides stop and look around there plenty of cross country's and cross roads. Not many vision cause there traveling someplace. If you look for the other Vic models there far a few. So I can see Vic getting rid of a few of them but it does make me wonder on their choice.

You really think that Vic considers the types of 'people' that show up at charity and bar events in what they decide to sell as a touring bike?

I don't think your ever going to see that many Indians on poker runs or charity rides like you do with the Vic. I think Indian riders are bar hoppers on bike night they will show up for the attention.

Really??? and you base this fact on what information? Are you a bar hopper and an Indian hater?

When every one is at work talking about there week end you know the Indian rider is going to brag how he did a thirty mile ride with the wife to get a burger. He'll never be the one saying we did eight hundred miles to get a fish dinner.

Indians were far better touring bikes before H&D ever got together with the Evinrude brothers to build a powered bicycle to get to their fishing hole!!!

I don't care about the Indian Thats OBVIOUS, but you dont need to be jealous too and as for harley and there water cooling for now its to keep the rider cooler and prepare them for whats to come. True die hard riders don't want to see water destroying what they think is a real bike. and dont ride VISIONS on 800 mile fish eating soirees - (thats swaray for you stupid people according to the urban dictionary:D)

·
Registered
483 Posts
If you do benefit rides or go bar hopping rides stop and look around there plenty of cross country's and cross roads. Not many vision cause there traveling someplace. If you look for the other Vic models there far a few. So I can see Vic getting ride of a few of them but it does make me wounder on there choice.
When every one is at work talking about there week end you know the Indian riders is going to brag how he did a thirty mile ride with the wife to get a burger. He'll never be the one saying we did eight hundred miles to get a fish dinner.
I don't care about the Indian and as for harley and there water cooling for now its to keep the rider cooler and prepare them for whats to come. True die hard riders don't want to see water destroying what they think is a real bike

well, not sure about all of that ?...as i don't do charity rides / poker runs..and I attend bike night about every two years.

As far as what they want ? what we want ? ....doesn't matter when it comes to EPA regs, and the Feds. We are going to have what they think we need to create less pollution...a pollution free world. And face it , when that is [all] that is available ? we will buy it....just like cars.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
So you take a run through Sturgis and the Indian and Harley banners are over the joint. Vic, not so much.

True DAT that Vic represents for a modern American machine. Like the Victory Slingshot for instance. Oh, it's not. Hmmm.

Why don't we all get together and discuss it at the factory homecoming this year. Oh, it's not. Hmmm.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts