Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new HJC CL 17 last year and its great when its cold and the lady uses it when shes on the back, but I was wondering what everyone else straps to their noggin as far as half helmets go. Most of the time i have been going without but have longer trips planned this year and probably wouldnt be a poor idea to have one sitting up top.

So what model half helmet do you guys wear, as always, pics are fantastic.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I took a chance on a $55 helmet from Daytona helmets after reading some reviews to find the least mushroom/bobble head looking helmet.

And for $55 I don't think I could have gotten a better helmet. It is very bare bones but construction seems good, used for the past year now and no issues with it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I took a chance on a $55 helmet from Daytona helmets after reading some reviews to find the least mushroom/bobble head looking helmet.

And for $55 I don't think I could have gotten a better helmet. It is very bare bones but construction seems good, used for the past year now and no issues with it.
Those Daytona Helmets look pretty good. I've got a half helmet polo style I got from J&P cycles... I just can stand helmets... however IF I can find a good fitting 3/4 that doesn't make me look like a Space Ball... I'll probably get one of those. I don't know... I still don't wear the one I have now.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I have a Z1R ZRP-2M I picked up at the Hardley dealer a couple years ago after I bought the XR. I really wanted a half-helmet, but I have a very round head and round face, and almost everything made me look like one of those little Mushroom Kingdom guys from Mario Bros. This one actually worked out pretty well for me. I imagine if you found one someplace that didn't have the Hunnert-Dollar logo out front, you could get it for a bit less than $80.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really like the look of the Head Trip Helmets but the price is pretty steep compared to others, I have a skid lid dealer right down the street from me but i have heard that they weren't too great. but for 35 bucks they seem hard to beat, i need to go down and atleast try one on, anyways those are the types of brain buckets im looking at. Head Trip isnt a dot helmet but then again, neither is no helmet. id like to put on on without looking like i have a mushroom on my head.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'm a helmet-a-holic! have three 1/2, vega, for the price, skid lid, on a whim! Best is crazy Al's worlds smallest and lightest! Shiping from the great white north was a killer!, still worth it. IMO. I try to add a link, not to good with thhttp://www.bikerleathers.ca/e puter thing!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Well, not really what I wanted, but it will get you there. Spendy for a mini at about $120.00 some, (shipped). Here is a pic. I'm 6'3" 250+/- I'm the little guy! I sort of have an egg shaped melon, and this lid is really comfortable!

Attachments

·
Registered
781 Posts
Mine is a Gmax I think... about 70 clams IIRC.... Matte black no labeling at all other than the rear DOT. No sticker collection as of now... ;)

·
Registered
418 Posts
I've worn Fulmer helmets for years. I'm now wearing the 95B, I like having the drop down shades. My wife also switched to Fulmer and wears the 92, zip on neck and ear cover for early/late rides and she likes the visor, you can even get a snap on face shield if you want.

I find them light and fit me great.

·
Registered
206 Posts
"Skid Lid" is the only half helmet Ive worn in over ten years.....

I just go random and cheap when it comes to full face. Usually HJC or some odd brand I get off Ebay.

·
Registered
742 Posts
It appears as if I'm one of the outliers here as I've always worn a full-face brain bucket. Currently, I've two: AGV X-Vent and a Shoei RF-1100. Gray matter only works if it stays between your ears...if even then! :D

I'm an outlier 'cause the thread is about half lids...duh...feeling kind of silly...

·
Registered
781 Posts
I have a minor fleet as well. Gmax halfie, Gmax open face with 2 shields, and HJC modular, and my Dad gave me his nice older KBC full face. (bright blue with all kinds of striping)

Why I'm not sure- it matches both his FJR and his ZX14 pretty well. (he's 68 :ride: ) Looks a bit ridiculous with my Red Judge. :)

This topic made me realize that the parts guy gave me a Fulmer helmet bag for my halfie, lol..

·
Registered
742 Posts
Probably catch some flack but what the hell. In several publications (one being an MSF document and another a book titled "Proficient Motorcycling") it's been shown about 35% of injuries to the head in a motorcycle accident occur to the lower portion of the head, i.e. the jaw. The one study I recall was and might still be the only comprehensive analysis of motorcycle accidents done in the U.S., known as the Hurt Report. I believe it was conducted by USC's Traffic Safety Center. That's the main reason I always ride w/a full face helmet.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Probably catch some flack but what the hell. In several publications (one being an MSF document and another a book titled "Proficient Motorcycling") it's been shown about 35% of injuries to the head in a motorcycle accident occur to the lower portion of the head, i.e. the jaw. The one study I recall was and might still be the only comprehensive analysis of motorcycle accidents done in the U.S., known as the Hurt Report. I believe it was conducted by USC's Traffic Safety Center. That's the main reason I always ride w/a full face helmet.
No flak, probably a good point, probably wont change anything, like i said earlier, i dont even wear one as of now. a half helmet is better than no helmet, and a full helmet is better than a half helmet and the car is safer than the bike. life is in the risks cheers

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
That ain't no joke, but motorcycling is all about balancing the dangers against the enjoyment. I always wear a helmet now, but it's almost always a halfie. To me it just feels like I'm more immersed in the experience. I guess I'm willing to get done ugly for that feeling. But no way am I gonna hassle someone who chooses to wear a full-face for safety! You can't enjoy a ride unless you're comfortable, and you won't be comfortable if yo don't feel safe.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
... a half helmet is better than no helmet, and a full helmet is better than a half helmet and the car is safer than the bike...
... and staying home is safer than driving a car :ltr:

·
Registered
283 Posts
And it you chose to stay at home, remember, sex is not safe unless you wear a condom!!... Except when your alone!!cheers

·
Registered
781 Posts
And it you chose to stay at home, remember, sex is not safe unless you were a condom!!... Except when your alone!!cheers
That pretty much nullifies my "basement is safest" comment that I was about to post. :ltr:

·
Registered
206 Posts
I totaled a Honda F4i sport bike after a front tire blow out at around 115mph. Even with a full face helmet on I got a cool scar and seven stitches in my chin. So.... I'll vouch that the chin is is a pretty common impact zone.

Hope the links work. I pasted them from my phone while being lazy at work

Video of crash.....
http://xchoppers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3454&hilit=crash+pics

Pics of crash (blood and stitches warning for the squeamish)
http://xchoppers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3452&p=27164&hilit=crash+pics#p20465

1 - 20 of 43 Posts