Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like some input from some of you guys. I have an interest to buy a half shell helmet to wear every now and then on those nice days. I asked this question on a sport bike forum (cruiser subsection) and like all sport bike riders, they decided to give me a lot of flack over the idea. I am sure many of you guys do ride with a half shell every now and then. What are your opinions on them? I know a lot of cruiser buddies that wear half shells a lot.

I like to wear my full face helmet regularly but I am tired of sweating in my helmet and visor fogging. Every now and then, I want to change it up some.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Love mine, use it 99.9% of the time. I like the HJC IS-2, has a drop down shield that retracts up into the helmet. That and a leather wrap face protector and it's almost as good as a full face on cold days. The pipes sound better with a half, can hear my music better, much more comfortable and it's much cooler on hot days.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Love mine, use it 99.9% of the time. I like the HJC IS-2, has a drop down shield that retracts up into the helmet. That and a leather wrap face protector and it's almost as good as a full face on cold days. The pipes sound better with a half, can hear my music better and it's much cooler on hot days.
Good info! Much more detailed than the responses on my other forum thumb up

Sport bike riders need to wear a full face helmet due to the nature of the bike. I love wearing my full face for extra protection but a lot of riders like the half shell on cruisers. I just worry about bugs and rocks with a half shell. Do you have any of those problems?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Well i used to ride a sport bike and rarely word my helmet. I an also looking into half helmets. I looked at the bells the fitting design of them sound awesome. It has like a turn style system to fit your head better. I think z1r is going to be purchased soon.
Also you may wantonly into scorpion. They designed almost a full face cut you can take the sides off to make it a half face.
Check out ridersdiscount.com through here he has given me some prices and has beaten everyone else.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Good info! Much more detailed than the responses on my other forum thumb up

Sport bike riders need to wear a full face helmet due to the nature of the bike. I love wearing my full face for extra protection but a lot of riders like the half shell on cruisers. I just worry about bugs and rocks with a half shell. Do you have any of those problems?
Not usually, have a good w/shield on the XC and wear glasses for eye protection. The drop down shield on mine comes down to my nose but I don't use it often.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I like the half although it sticks way off my head (DOT) and catches air like a scoop. Not as comfortable as my full, but much more enjoyable. Especially on hot/warm days. cheers

·
Registered
526 Posts
I really like my new GMax 55. Before that I loved the Daytona halfs.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have sportbike also and wear an icon full helmet for that, it does not fog unless raining.

For the victory I have a GMAX 55 half helmet. It is OK. As far as comfort its good, but I don't like how the sound bounced off of it. I have victory slash pipes and my ears will ring for a day if I wear that helmet for 100 mile ride. I'm selling that helmet and going with a 3/4 open-face retro for now and going to see if thats any better. my .02

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am trying to understand how crash protection works on a half shell? A lot of riders i know wear these on their cruisers but I dont fully understand the level of protection a half shell offers vs a full face. It would seem more dangerous but I have yet to meet a rider who crashed in a half shell.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
They say the difference between a full helmet and a 1/2 helmet is the difference between open casket and closed casket. With that said when it's over 40 I wear a 1/2 and if it's under 40 I wear a full. You will stay cooler but may not be safer and you may catch an occasional bug or rock in the face. No biggie though; you get used to it and "bikers" are supposed to have scars - or is that pirates...

I highly suggest going to www.webbikeworld and looking through helmet reviews.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
They say the difference between a full helmet and a 1/2 helmet is the difference between open casket and closed casket.
Well then they are just silly. Watch pro racing some time and you will be astonished by the regular violent encounters to which the bodies of the participants are subjected. And more often than not they get up and walk away.

I think a good half helmet would provide a decent level of protection. But due to sufficient Styrofoam insulation, it is going to be thick, like this:

That insulation is needed to absorb and dissipate energy. The thin models are IMO useless for anything more than a fashion statement. Of course if you land on your face, all bets are off.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Well then they are just silly. Watch pro racing some time and you will be astonished by the regular violent encounters to which the bodies of the participants are subjected. And more often than not they get up and walk away.

I think a good half helmet would provide a decent level of protection. But due to sufficient Styrofoam insulation, it is going to be thick, like this:

That insulation is needed to absorb and dissipate energy. The thin models are IMO useless for anything more than a fashion statement. Of course if you land on your face, all bets are off.
AKA the brain bucket.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I like the Bell Shorty if it fits properly it is very comfortable.It doesnt have the protection of a full face but I am not riding that hard and pushing the bikes limit like you tend to do on the Sport bikes.It is still better than no helmet.
Try a few on to get proper fit and feel.Then find the same one on line.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I would like some input from some of you guys. I have an interest to buy a half shell helmet to wear every now and then on those nice days. I asked this question on a sport bike forum (cruiser subsection) and like all sport bike riders, they decided to give me a lot of flack over the idea. I am sure many of you guys do ride with a half shell every now and then. What are your opinions on them? I know a lot of cruiser buddies that wear half shells a lot.

I like to wear my full face helmet regularly but I am tired of sweating in my helmet and visor fogging. Every now and then, I want to change it up some.
I've got two half helmets. One is a GMAX GM55 that has a retractable sun visor. That's fine, but the visor is only a sun shield. You still need goggle to keep your eyes protected from the wind. http://www.jpcycles.com/product/136-564

My other half helmet is the Outlaw Ultra Low Profile Matte Carbon-Fiber. As advertized, it's really light and low profile. I havent had a chance to ride with it yet. The low profile is nice though. I can just barely get my GMAX into the hard bags of my Kingpin, and when it do it scratches up the surface. The Outlaw is smaller and should be easier to lock up on the run. http://www.leatherup.com/p/Outlaw-Helmets/Outlaw-AX-30030-Matte-Carbon-Fiber-Motorcycle-Half-Helmet/147798.html

If you want to open your face up a bit but you still want more than a half helmet's protection, check this design out. It's a military/helicopter theme : http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/agv-diesel-hi-jack-helmet

As far as head protection goes, any tested helmet should protect your head from reasonable trauma. By that I mean that you're not driving like an idiot at high speeds, or run over by someone else who is. Wikipedia has a stat up that "Thirty-five percent of all crashes show major impact on the chin-bar area." That would mean your ok 2/3rds of the time in a half helmet by the raw statistics.

Take away accidents caused by bikers driving like idiots (fast, drunk, or just reckless) and I'm sure that your odds improve further. One of the things that annoys me about some bikers is the tendency of those who tell you how important it is to wear a full face helmet, that then go out and race each other or drive like maniacs. Not everyone rides the same way.

·
Registered
693 Posts
My wife and I both use half shells and always have. Claustrophobia issues. We've always had good luck with HJC halfies. Like everything in this world, you gain some things and lose somethings.

Pros: You gain ever so slight better visibility but only the absolute corners of your peripheral. Honestly, pretty neglible. They're more comfortable in hot weather and lighter.

Cons: You sacrifice some protection. Not as much as many would like to believe, but you do leave yourself more exposed in the event of a wreck. However, you're still protecting the most important part of the head. Also, the wind management changes with a half as it can catch an updraft.

With your issues, have you considered a better venting full face? Or perhaps a modular?

·
Registered
782 Posts
You know how I feel JetBlast... anything less than a full face will only serve to keep your hair from blowing around.

If you were to magically topple off the bike and land completely upside-down in a headstand position... sure, it'll work fine. Otherwise, the more common position is face down (you'll just grind your face off onto the pavement), or directly back, and there is minimal protection back there.

Not worth it IMO. You see the stories we see over on our other forum... you know how many folks do really go down in real life, and you know the right gear can mean life or death. Leave the half shells and beanies to the HD riders who wear assless chaps thumb up

1 - 20 of 33 Posts