Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got the Hammer Dynoed tonight.

http://www.victoryforums.com/garage.php?do=viewvehicle&vehicle_id=1325#

2008 Hammer Premium-S&S Intake & download, Hard Krome Side Burner pipe, PC-V. Dyno Tuned by Street Rider of Reno.

Pretty nice numbers more torque than I expected. The before numbers where with all the parts installed and the 04 map from PC.
This bike runs strong, revs quicker and pulls hard.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Man, looking at your numbers (+3 hp and +8 tq) it seems like these engines are real torgue monsters. Seems like this engine is just begging to be cammed.

I don't know anything about the Hard Krome Side Burner pipe, but if it's baffled, taking those baffles out would be worth some more HP.

Either way, very nice numbers! I am sure now it's much more fun to run the bike hard, because mine is all stock, and the engine feels lazy with the stock intake and exhaust.

You plan on cams or any other mods in the future? And how about 1/4 mile times?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Either show some data that baffle removal improves performance EVER on a Victory motorcycle, or stop saying people should do it.
It really was a genuine question, not trying to pick a fight here bud, just don't know anything about those pipes.

As for baffles on vics in general. You seem to be saying that if i take the baffles out of my stock exhaust pipes, I will make less power?

I guess it could be true, but that would really surprise me, especially since the engine feels pretty lazy with them in there.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
It really was a genuine question, not trying to pick a fight here bud, just don't know anything about those pipes.

As for baffles on vics in general. You seem to be saying that if i take the baffles out of my stock exhaust pipes, I will make less power?

I guess it could be true, but that would really surprise me, especially since the engine feels pretty lazy with them in there.
Basically, you have no idea if what you suggested will actually add horsepower... or even if the baffles are welded in those pipes... but you have no problem typing "taking those baffles out would be worth some more HP" on the tech and performance forum as if it were factual. Are you getting any of this?

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Actually removing baffle might increase HP, but would make it a dog on the bottom; as it gutted the torque. Remembering a Vtwin lives in low/mid, and a short HP peak at the top sounds good, but rides like crap

·
Registered
566 Posts
Basically, you have no idea if what you suggested will actually add horsepower... or even if the baffles are welded in those pipes... but you have no problem typing "taking those baffles out would be worth some more HP" on the tech and performance forum as if it were factual. Are you getting any of this?
The facts that I am aware of come from automotive performance. And I do not see how an internal combustion engine in a v-twin configuration would be any different. Backpressure does not make power, on any internal combustion engine. And I seriously doubt that Victories are unicorns which subcribe to some different laws of physics.

Having said that, I am not familiar with those pipes. I suppose it is possible that the exhaust outlet is sufficient for a motor with a stock cam. I was expecting you to answer that, because you sounded like you knew. You did say "That would be a really bad idea..." which defnitely sounds like you should share something you know that I don't.

I'm all ears.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Actually removing baffle might increase HP, but would make it a dog on the bottom; as it gutted the torque. Remembering a Vtwin lives in low/mid, and a short HP peak at the top sounds good, but rides like crap
Do these comparisons include a re-tune after the baffles are removed? If this is an a-b test without a re-tune, then those results do not surprise me.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Do these comparisons include a re-tune after the baffles are removed? If this is an a-b test without a re-tune, then those results do not surprise me.
That would include a retune. Torque depends on velocity, and HP depends on Volume. The secret is the balance to get the right compromise

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
The facts that I am aware of come from automotive performance. And I do not see how an internal combustion engine in a v-twin configuration would be any different. Backpressure does not make power, on any internal combustion engine. And I seriously doubt that Victories are unicorns which subcribe to some different laws of physics.

Back pressure does not make power, scavenging, velocity, and a lack of reversion make power. Applies to cars, bikes, boats, and maybe even the stray unicorn. Properly built all those things are addressed with a well thought out exhaust system. If you come from the car world you need to bear in mind that a motorcycle exhaust has much less length, fewer collectors, and much lower incidence of radical bends. It is much different then a car in execution; for the best overall performance

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Man, looking at your numbers (+3 hp and +8 tq) it seems like these engines are real torgue monsters. Seems like this engine is just begging to be cammed.

I don't know anything about the Hard Krome Side Burner pipe, but if it's baffled, taking those baffles out would be worth some more HP.

Either way, very nice numbers! I am sure now it's much more fun to run the bike hard, because mine is all stock, and the engine feels lazy with the stock intake and exhaust.

You plan on cams or any other mods in the future? And how about 1/4 mile times?
I think the numbers are good for what I have.
I don't run any 1/4 miles. Just rip the twistys in the Sierras.
I'm a believer that you should build torque and horsepower will come.
The Side Burner is a baffled pipe but not much, actually thought about adding more baffle but with the with torque it's making I think it's good.

·
Registered
29 Posts
QUOTE]

I agree. With these bikes and for the average Vic rider, I think that is the best approach.

Although I gotta say I rode my neighbors 'Busa last night for the first time. Shifting into 3rd gear at 90mph is quite a rush too. I guess it's all about what you are after. Big horsepower and low torque has it's place too. I'm just too old for it now. :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
QUOTE]

I agree. With these bikes and for the average Vic rider, I think that is the best approach.

Although I gotta say I rode my neighbors 'Busa last night for the first time. Shifting into 3rd gear at 90mph is quite a rush too. I guess it's all about what you are after. Big horsepower and low torque has it's place too. I'm just too old for it now. :cool:

Shifting into 3rd at 90......we're you scared to spin it. That's where you are supposed to make the 1-2 shift

·
Registered
29 Posts
You got me Kevin. If I'm honest...actually, yeah I was a little scared of that thing! Absolutely crazy acceleration. If I had more testosterone and a little less piss running down my leg, I would have gotten into it a little more. Too much for me.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts