Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my new license tag. "HMR 1" love it, love my bike. I guess I just have to remember not to rob any gas stations with it since it is so easy to remember the plate.

Attachments

·
Registered
530 Posts
nice!! i tried to get a custom plate for mine here in NY and all the good ones were taken... Just as well though because I have already gone through 3 license plates on my hammer... NY makes their plates so bloody cheap anymore. its one of the reasons that i am looking for a curved side mount plate frame that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and looks halfway decent... good score though!! :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Very cool, garandiver!

Hey Monstermash...interesting that you say that. I bought my 2013 hammer used, and the guys' plate was splitting in half across the middle.

Is that what happens to you?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Funny that both of you guys mentioned license plates splitting. As it so happens so was mine. It wasn't bad but had split from one of the bolts. I have to believe that means something because I have had dozens of bikes and NONE had that happen. I would love to have a side plate and in particular one of the tranny cover but they are outrageously expensive. I expect one of these days I will bite the bullet and get one, I suppose before this plate splits, huh?

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
And i thought it was just my bad luck. The first day I got my plate, I went to work on my new bike. On the way home the bolts vibrated loose and it fell off in Brooklyn somewhere. Got a new plate and that one split from vibration by the bolt hole within a week! !!! I was furious ! I decided to debur the bolt holes on the new one and use loctite on the bolts. Its been holding up so far .........

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And i thought it was just my bad luck. The first day I got my plate, I went to work on my new bike. On the way home the bolts vibrated loose and it fell off in Brooklyn somewhere. Got a new plate and that one split from vibration by the bolt hole within a week! !!! I was furious ! I decided to debur the bolt holes on the new one and use loctite on the bolts. Its been holding up so far .........
Yeah Loctite will keep it on but I wouldn't count on it keeping the plate from cracking...very weird. By the way Buzzcut, thank you deeply for having served our country. Regardless of how our government treats our vets or who the moron might be in the oval office, no one can take the honor from you of serving. No one. Thx

·
Registered
530 Posts
Very cool, garandiver!

Hey Monstermash...interesting that you say that. I bought my 2013 hammer used, and the guys' plate was splitting in half across the middle.

Is that what happens to you?
pretty much.. mine always crack and break around the mounting bolts first so it looks like something took a bite out of the corner of the plate. at that point i usually end up trimming the plate right at the blue border at the top of the plate. and then redrilling the holes to mount the plate..
i finally ended up cutting a piece of sheet metal roughly the size of the plate and then sandwiched the plate between the steel plate and my new license plate frame...

so far it has lasted me a season... lol cheap ass plates, good ole NY State...

Attachments

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I still find it odd as to why the plates are cracking. My old plate was cracking at the top right bolt and I only use two bolts having taken the license plate housing off the bike....wow, it just dawned on me, I wonder if having taken the license plate housing off there is more non buffered vibration. It would be interesting to know of the split or cracking plates, how many of them were from being mounted without the stock license plate mount. Oh well, life goes on and I am quite fortunate that is the only thing I have to think about because otherwise the bike runs like a top...

Attachments

·
Registered
530 Posts
I still find it odd as to why the plates are cracking. My old plate was cracking at the top right bolt and I only use two bolts having taken the license plate housing off the bike....wow, it just dawned on me, I wonder if having taken the license plate housing off there is more non buffered vibration. It would be interesting to know of the split or cracking plates, how many of them were from being mounted without the stock license plate mount. Oh well, life goes on and I am quite fortunate that is the only thing I have to think about because otherwise the bike runs like a top...
yup, same here.... its more of an inconvenience than anything. but i think its because NY went to the cheap flat pieces of aluminum with the tag info just painted on. I never had this problem when the plates were the embossed metal.. i used to have a 76 Sportster that shook like a paint can shaker and it mounted almost the exact same way as the plate on the hammer.. that thing never bloody broke and it was probably exposed to more vibration than the hammer. dunno, but either way, its also one of the reasons i keep a bag of zip ties with me.. lol:ltr:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts