Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Hammer and at last one of the 3 cowl seat cover connectors busted. Against any faith that it would work, I tried gluing it back twice but as soon as the cowling was taken off, it would break again. I am not sure they were ever intended to last very long from the way they are manufactured, but I am looking for any suggestions short of trying to purchase another cowling. The break is about mid way so I have purchased very small stainless bolts very small diameter and am contemplating carefully drilling through the plastic pinion that is broken and attaching the two pieces by the very small diametered bolts. Perhaps with added glue for who knows what kind of measure. There is enough room to place a very small washer and nut at the proximal end on the cowl as it is open. Anyway, any thoughts or suggestions would be welcomed. I am absolutely sure this is not a new problem especially for older Hammers. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Damm, thats a bummer Garandiver. I'll be way more gentle with mine from now on thats for sure.

I got nothing sorry- sounds to me like short of buying a new one and getting it repainted that you are doing the right thing.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damm, thats a bummer Garandiver. I'll be way more gentle with mine from now on thats for sure.

I got nothing sorry- sounds to me like short of buying a new one and getting it repainted that you are doing the right thing.
Thanks Krisd, but the real bummer is that I don't live in Australia where I could be riding like and maybe even with you, my friend. Winter sucks so bad here in Michigan that I welcome things to screw around with on my bikes just to remind me we will have summer....some day.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
What glue did you use? I would suggest "plastic weld by permatex" or take it to someone that may be able to actually plastic weld it back on...

·
Registered
1,845 Posts

You need to lubricate the hole! Lol, I spray a little silicone on my finger then I massage it into the hole.
In all seriousness when I first got the bike the cover was really hard to get off because the rubber is extremely grippy but now that I have lubricated, slides on and off easily now....

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
You need to lubricate the hole! Lol, I spray a little silicone on my finger then I massage it into the hole.
In all seriousness when I first got the bike the cover was really hard to get off because the rubber is extremely grippy but now that I have lubricated, slides on and off easily now....
Hahaha....you've just come from that other thread about geishas and sushi right? Hehe

But yeah- great idea lunatic- thanks :)

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hahaha....you've just come from that other thread about geishas and sushi right? Hehe

But yeah- great idea lunatic- thanks :)
Hey, I want to know where that other thread with geishas and sushi is located...the hell with the cowl, glue and screw....cheers

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Thanks Krisd, but the real bummer is that I don't live in Australia where I could be riding like and maybe even with you, my friend. Winter sucks so bad here in Michigan that I welcome things to screw around with on my bikes just to remind me we will have summer....some day.
You are welcome here anytime garandiver- in fact any Victory rider is waved straight through customs :)

Good diving too if you do- watch out for the sharks tho- seems like we are losing one person a month here

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Thanks Lunaticrider. I will try that glue before I get out the drill.thumb up
That epoxy is really tough, I've used quite a few times (unfortunately). My kids knocked our Christmas tree over and broke the friggen stand so I tried 2 other glues that would snap as soon as it felt the weight of the tree, so I bought some of that plastic weld and it's lasted 3 Christmas's now... If it doesn't work you can get someone to actually plastic weld it back on...

·
Registered
530 Posts
i had one of those mounting nubs break off mine as well..

i took one of those little metal pieces that come with entertainment centers for mounting the shelves and drilled out a small hole in the base of the mounting tab and inside the nub itself. then i used that metal piece to fit inside both the nub and the base. used a little gorilla glue to attach the metal to the plastic nub and the base. then for added strength i used some quicksteel to wrap around the mounting nub and to further hold that metal piece in place.... i also filled in the hollow under the mounting base for the nub. functions like normal and probably stronger than the factory version. its not painted but from the top you couldn't tell that there is anything there. certainly a cheaper fix than spending the $$ on a new seat cowl...

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You are welcome here anytime garandiver- in fact any Victory rider is waved straight through customs :)

Good diving too if you do- watch out for the sharks tho- seems like we are losing one person a month here
Would love it Krisd. I have many dives with sharks, many great pics and call me crazy but I seem to not have developed a healthy since of caution around them...or at least as long as I can see them. But this is from a guy who really enjoys cave diving more than a normal person should. Do some riding for me while I sit and shiver here in the great white north of U S of A.

Attachments

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My center tab broke off . I drilled it out a little and used a throttle linkage bolt (round head) and used a little bondo to hold it in . You can use epoxy. It's held for five years so far.
Thanks throttleking, I am going to use the glue that luna directed me to and THEN going to drill it out and place a very small stainless bolt with round head and washer and nut on it. If that doesn't work, then I am going to just duct tape the damn thing.......:D

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i had one of those mounting nubs break off mine as well..

i took one of those little metal pieces that come with entertainment centers for mounting the shelves and drilled out a small hole in the base of the mounting tab and inside the nub itself. then i used that metal piece to fit inside both the nub and the base. used a little gorilla glue to attach the metal to the plastic nub and the base. then for added strength i used some quicksteel to wrap around the mounting nub and to further hold that metal piece in place.... i also filled in the hollow under the mounting base for the nub. functions like normal and probably stronger than the factory version. its not painted but from the top you couldn't tell that there is anything there. certainly a cheaper fix than spending the $$ on a new seat cowl...
Thanks Monster. I wish they would have manufactured it like you have made the repair on yours. I don't think we would have been faced with this problem. They couldn't have thought that they would last long based on the way they are manufactured. And yeah I have tried to locate a black cowling used and have seen some on Ebay but no one can assure me that they don't already have broken pinions/nubs and even if I was inclined to buy a new one, it probably would not be the same black given the age of my bike. Anyway, thanks for the response, very much appreciated.cheers

·
Registered
530 Posts
Thanks Monster. I wish they would have manufactured it like you have made the repair on yours. I don't think we would have been faced with this problem. They couldn't have thought that they would last long based on the way they are manufactured. And yeah I have tried to locate a black cowling used and have seen some on Ebay but no one can assure me that they don't already have broken pinions/nubs and even if I was inclined to buy a new one, it probably would not be the same black given the age of my bike. Anyway, thanks for the response, very much appreciated.cheers
hell if you want, and want to try and match the color black or even do a custom cowl, i would be more than happy to sell you mine. i am waiting for the bandit seat to arrive by UPS and am not going to be needing the cowl. I can guarantee you that one of the nubs was broken but it has been repaired. :D thumb up let me know and i can send you some pics of it. its yellow and has a couple small light scratches, but it would give you a chance to try and mess with your current one. pm me if you want... i can get pictures up anytime. :)

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I have the Bandit set , its really nice , and comfy too !

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I would like to have the bandit seat but just don't like how you have to do away with the rear seat cowl. I plan to rework the stocker with some gel and foam, we'll see how that turns out...

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Yeah that's what I would like to do too.

I put some furniture oil on the stubs and holes of my seat cowl last night- massively better on and off now.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts