Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I loved my Hammer, and love Victory, so I know that there will surely be another Vic purchase in the future. Damn that bike was a great machine, and gave me thousands of trouble free miles. cheers

Good bye old girl, and welcome to my new baby, factory fresh 2012 Ducati Diavel Carbon in red.

1198cc motor, 162hp in a bike that weighs only 450lbs... (0-60 in 2.6 seconds, and can out-accelerate a Ducati 1198s from 0-100). It is a beastly handful, but ABS and 8 levels of traction control help tame it a bit. So now I have the power of a superbike, but the comfort of a cruiser... a nice bit in-between the two.

I have a lot of breaking in to do, and I'm enjoying every minute of it!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
755 Posts
Congrats on that new beauty. Funny I was just looking at the same bike last week and thinking about how cool that thing is and kind of thinking about having it as my next bike. :D

And fishslpr you know there is no such thing as to much power. :D

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks scary fast. That would be way too much motorcycle for this kid.

Congratz on a beautiful bike!
It is scary fast. I can't flog mine yet because as part of the break-in I have to keep it under 5500rpm for 600 miles :( but I was allowed to flog their demo bike. Oh good God, it tries to peel you off the bars with all the torque.

While I never had any issue going into full lean on my Hammer S, the Diavel rides very much like a sportbike in corners even though it still has a 240 rear tire.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did you know that a Hammer S stops in a shorter distance than the Diavel?

Nice bike, I'm jealous. I love the Diavel.
Really? I dunno, I've panic-stopped my Hammer S a few times (unfortunately) and that seems unrealistic to me. The Diavel seems to stop more easily, but I could be wrong.

Gobs huh? The Vic made more torque by 2200 RPM than the Diavel will make ever. What the Duc has is HORSEPOWER.

Good thing is that the Duc weighs about 40% less than the Hammer, so the torque require to get her going is less, and the higher hp propels her more quickly. Acceleration is nearly night and day between the bikes. Of course, their applications are very different, so this is to be expected. If Duc made a "true cruiser", then a better comparison could be made, but this is IMO a pseudo-cruiser.

Sorry, I must disagree Bad. I would get myself into way too much trouble with a bike like this...:crzy::crzy::crzy:cheers
I already sense myself riding it differently, much more how I rode my sportbike. You just feel more aggressive on it...

·
Premium Member
13,629 Posts
Nice bike for sure! Too bad you couldn't have kept the Hammer or maybe had something with a bit more comfort like a Hardball, XR, XC, or even Kingpin to keep you happy on cruiser days.

So what's a bike like that cost these days. I know I can't afford but if I could....

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Best looking Diavel I seen yet with the that paint scheme.cheers

·
Registered
755 Posts
Nice bike for sure! Too bad you couldn't have kept the Hammer or maybe had something with a bit more comfort like a Hardball, XR, XC, or even Kingpin to keep you happy on cruiser days.

So what's a bike like that cost these days. I know I can't afford but if I could....
Base model msrp $17k, carbon $20k but there is always dealer's asking price.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
Really? I dunno, I've panic-stopped my Hammer S a few times (unfortunately) and that seems unrealistic to me. The Diavel seems to stop more easily, but I could be wrong.
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/10/10321/Motorcycle-Article/2011-Performance-Cruiser-Smackdown.aspx

Good thing is that the Duc weighs about 40% less than the Hammer, so the torque required to get her going is less, and the higher hp propels her more quickly. Acceleration is nearly night and day between the bikes.
All that is true... but it doesn't get really interesting until 6500 rpm.

·
Premium Member
1,181 Posts
Nice bike just can not handle the back pain bent over all the time, no cruise, speeding tickets, suspended license, 24 mpg, just to many negatives. But man it does look mean and fast. Just think how fast you can meet that June bug head on? Or how many rear tires you will be replacing at $300 dollars. What I guess I am saying is ride safe and have fun.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I loved my Hammer, and love Victory, so I know that there will surely be another Vic purchase in the future. Damn that bike was a great machine, and gave me thousands of trouble free miles. cheers

Good bye old girl, and welcome to my new baby, factory fresh 2012 Ducati Diavel Carbon in red.
Be careful, even with a giant rear tire, *that* bike will handle!

I'm a big Duc fan. In my experience, they are less reliable than other brands, but the company is FAR more likely to make whatever problems you may have right.

If you put a lot of miles on it, be prepared for some large shop bills as when Ducs are serviced, they are serviced. Valve checks, timing belts, fuel filters, fork oil, anti-freeze, brake fluid, etc are things that WILL get changed if you take it for a 15k mile check. You will also more than likely be having the sprockets and chain replaced. I'm not saying this stuff isn't necessary, just that most bike shops just change the bike's oil. A Duc service is never that negligent.

You will also be paying for the mere valve check and oil every 7500 miles. That one will only probably run about $800. Probably need one of those new balloons on back too. Cha Ching.

Anyway, they are great bikes and I wish you well with yours. Be sure to root for Hayden, Rossi, and Checa this year, ok?

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Gobs huh? The Vic made more torque by 2200 RPM than the Diavel will make ever. What the Duc has is HORSEPOWER.
Not an appropriate comparison. The Duc will be at that rpm by giving it enough gas to launch. And even if you just let the clutch out and then twisted the throttle, it would spin by that rpm so fast you'd never notice any lack of power.

There is no doubt that that race bred engine is better in every way from a performance standpoint. The trade-off is the cost of a wrench's TLC and more than likely longevity. Though I had two Ducs, both of which I put ~35k on and they both ran perfectly when I got rid of them.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Best looking Diavel I seen yet with the that paint scheme.cheers
Thanks! cheers

Base model msrp $17k, carbon $20k but there is always dealer's asking price.
Indeed, she was $20k+fees

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/10/10321/Motorcycle-Article/2011-Performance-Cruiser-Smackdown.aspx

All that is true... but it doesn't get really interesting until 6500 rpm.
Ok, well that half a foot won't bother me much LOL :cool:

Nice bike just can not handle the back pain bent over all the time, no cruise, speeding tickets, suspended license, 24 mpg, just to many negatives. But man it does look mean and fast. Just think how fast you can meet that June bug head on? Or how many rear tires you will be replacing at $300 dollars. What I guess I am saying is ride safe and have fun.

That was the whole point of buying this bike... NO back pain. It's not a sportbike, you sit upright just as much as on a Victory. My seat is way more comfortable than on my Hammer S, seat height is almost as low, the ergos are fantastic. And I get verrrrrry good discounts on parts (tires included), so I'm not worried. I just replaced both my tires on the Hammer last week (how's that for foresight???!!) for about $330 total ;)

This bike is super comfy. Even longer rides on the Hammer hurt my back because of the crappy seat. Then I got the crappier Corbin Dual Tourer seat... :mad:

Be careful, even with a giant rear tire, *that* bike will handle!

I'm a big Duc fan. In my experience, they are less reliable than other brands, but the company is FAR more likely to make whatever problems you may have right.

If you put a lot of miles on it, be prepared for some large shop bills as when Ducs are serviced, they are serviced. Valve checks, timing belts, fuel filters, fork oil, anti-freeze, brake fluid, etc are things that WILL get changed if you take it for a 15k mile check. You will also more than likely be having the sprockets and chain replaced. I'm not saying this stuff isn't necessary, just that most bike shops just change the bike's oil. A Duc service is never that negligent.

You will also be paying for the mere valve check and oil every 7500 miles. That one will only probably run about $800. Probably need one of those new balloons on back too. Cha Ching.

Anyway, they are great bikes and I wish you well with yours. Be sure to root for Hayden, Rossi, and Checa this year, ok?

I too was worried about the whole 6000 mile checks and valve adjustments... good news is that THIS bike doesn't require it!! First check is at 625 mile break-in for an oil change ($300), and you don't do the big service with valve check until 15,000 miles!! Much longer service intervals now, so I was relieved.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts