Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i wasn't able to find a write up on the forum, but has anyone switched out their handgrips from the stock ones and done a write up on it? I'm a little weary about doing it myself and if i can save my self the $75 by not having the dealer do it, I'd be quite happy.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
What model are you riding?

·
Premium Member
13,161 Posts
It's not difficult. Just takes a little patience. I actually put some grips that I had that were made for a Harley. I ground out some of the inner parts of the throttle casing with a Dremel/Die Grinder until I got it right. You wouldn't need to do that.

If you won't be reusing the grip ends you can just take some channel locks and twist them out. Little more difficult if you want to keep them intact. You have to pull the existing grips back so you can get a piece of 2x4 wood and knock the out.

I find using some compressed air and a nozzle helps to take the left grip off. I'll post a video for you to see.

·
13,002 Posts
Make sure you buy the grips that are for harley and you want the grips before 2008 or grips that are designed for cable.

·
Registered
851 Posts
It was pretty straight forward when I swapped out my 2010 Cross Roads grips with the Pure Victory Kuryakyn style grips.

The only problem I had was on the throttle side. The cable slipped out of the guide on the throttle body. I felt a catch and the throttle had more drag. I just loosened it up again to get the cable back in the guide and no other problems.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I picked up a set of the Victory ones just to make sure they fit. I guess my main concern is lining them up evenly.

·
Registered
316 Posts

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
The throttle only goes on one way so when you put your left grip on (don't forget the grip glue) you'll have a couple of minutes to get it twisted to match the throttle. Best bet is to line it up as much as possible before you slide I on the bars.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
I installed Avon heated grips, and there was no prying anything, or blowing air into anything, or even any glue required. I just used an allen wrench to quickly remove the end weights, loosen the two set screws on the left grip, it slides right off. Open up the switch housing on the throttle side, remove the push and pull cables from the cam gear, and reinstall the new throttle grip. Not really sure why all the other fuss mentioned above is necessary if you get metric grips.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts