Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me how to remove the hand grips on a 2001 Standard Cruiser? Do the endcaps twist off? Pry off? I want to change my grips but don't want to damage my existing ones doing so. Any info would be great......Thanks, Joey

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
The throttle grip will come off when you remove the cables. The left grip is probably glued on and will require cutting off.

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
The throttle grip will come off when you remove the cables. The left grip is probably glued on and will require cutting off.
I have taken the left grip off by twisting off the end cap....then inserting a thin screw driver between the bar and the grip. Working the screwdriver around enough to brake away the glue enough to twist the grip back and forth till it came out.

Good Luck.thumb up

·
Registered
20 Posts
+1 what NOEMTZ said about using the screwdriver.
When you are ready to install the new grip I use golf club grip adhesive. If you need to remove it for some reason grab with both hands and a quick fast twist and it's off. The adhesive lasts about a year (15-20,000 miles), not to worry the grip doesn't just fall off. The adhesive residual keeps the grip on till you get home even after a long ride.
Just make sure the cable is inside the cable guide on the bottom of the right grip or you get higher than normal idle. After playing with the idle adjustment you finally figure out what it is. Don't ask. :p

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, I really appreciate all the answers...... I live in a city where the only service I can get within 150 miles is from a very small dealer. There really isn't any Victorys around here, so I can't just call a buddy and ask questions. Once again, Thank you. Joey

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey Joey, I have a pic somewhere of 4 bikers with beers outside the Motel 8 in the dark at Myrtle Beach trying to figure out which Kurykyn hand grips would fit my '99. The lady at the Kurykyn truck let me buy a set and try them and if they did not fit to return them and try another set.
Thanks for the memories. :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have taken the left grip off by twisting off the end cap....then inserting a thin screw driver between the bar and the grip. Working the screwdriver around enough to brake away the glue enough to twist the grip back and forth till it came out.

Good Luck.thumb up
Once you get it started with the screwdriver, insert your air-compressor blower tip, forced air will release the glue faster without all the twisting. (Might keep you from roughing up the grip surface.)

·
Registered
33 Posts
+1thumb up
To piggyback on this thread. I just got a my new set of bars, (not the ones I ordered by the way so they're going back, ugh) but I started playing with my stock ones to see how difficult it's going to be to swap them out. I unscrewed the controls on the throttle side and realized that the end cap is on there pretty good.

Are these caps reusable or am I going to have to cut it off and put new grips on too?

Also, the control box has a tang on it that goes into the bar to keep it from spinning and the new bars don't have a hole for it. Is it cool to just drill a hole for the tang to sit in the right position or is it better to remove the tang?

Thanks,
JB

·
Registered
19 Posts
To piggyback on this thread. I just got a my new set of bars, (not the ones I ordered by the way so they're going back, ugh) but I started playing with my stock ones to see how difficult it's going to be to swap them out. I unscrewed the controls on the throttle side and realized that the end cap is on there pretty good.

Are these caps reusable or am I going to have to cut it off and put new grips on too?

Also, the control box has a tang on it that goes into the bar to keep it from spinning and the new bars don't have a hole for it. Is it cool to just drill a hole for the tang to sit in the right position or is it better to remove the tang?

Thanks,
JB
I drilled a hole in the new bars, If you got bars with internal wires you may want to drill the holes before you run the wires...one thing I over looked while changing mine.

·
Registered
33 Posts
ooooooo, good call on drilling before wiring dobbs. That must've really sucked. So, what did you do about the end caps?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts