Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone installed, (hand wind deflectors), on a Cross Roads? The kind that attach under the mirror perch.

If so, what kind?

Thanks

FOUND THEM!

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0068G0QB8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2CKP5WSGR2ZV2&psc=1[/ame]

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Is this a "style idea", like stunt or club bike style or are you looking to deflect wind for cold weather riding?

·
Registered
533 Posts
yep.... national cycle... just a heads up, the clutch side bracket needs to be bent up a little because otherwise at full steering lock one way, it will make contact with the tank. i have a rub mark from it and have since bent my bracket up a little. you might be able to use a washer or something to space it up if you didn't want to bend it.. my original idea was to only put them on in the winter and leave them off in the summer, but i got lazy and they stay on all the time... do a decent job in the cold months of keeping a majority of the wind off my hands. couple it with some cold weather riding gloves and my hands aren't numb by the time i finish my 48 mile commute to work (90% on the highway at 75+)...

i also replaced the bolts that attach them with some Harley Davidson Skull license plate bolts. if you go this route, you will have to grind down the bolt and nut a little so you have ample space for your hands behind the deflectors.

Attachments

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Is this a "style idea", like stunt or club bike style or are you looking to deflect wind for cold weather riding?
These would be for cold weather riding.

Even though I have electric gloves, I find when I am doing 70 mph at 21 degrees, my hands still get a bit cool. I was thinking if I could take the wind off the gloves I would have warmer hands.

I know if the gloves were a bet tighter, I would get more heat from them but the next size smaller would be too tight. I had a pair some years ago that were uncomfortable tight but boy they were hot. I could not turn the thermostat up any more than 1/2 or they would burn my hands.:eek

It took a bit of searching, but I finely found a set of wind deflectors that are advertised as fitting the CR.

I haven't made the final decision to make the purchase yet. Still thinking.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0068G0QB8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2CKP5WSGR2ZV2&psc=1[/ame]

Thanks.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yep.... national cycle... just a heads up, the clutch side bracket needs to be bent up a little because otherwise at full steering lock one way, it will make contact with the tank. i have a rub mark from it and have since bent my bracket up a little. you might be able to use a washer or something to space it up if you didn't want to bend it.. my original idea was to only put them on in the winter and leave them off in the summer, but i got lazy and they stay on all the time... do a decent job in the cold months of keeping a majority of the wind off my hands. couple it with some cold weather riding gloves and my hands aren't numb by the time i finish my 48 mile commute to work (90% on the highway at 75+)...

i also replaced the bolts that attach them with some Harley Davidson Skull license plate bolts. if you go this route, you will have to grind down the bolt and nut a little so you have ample space for your hands behind the deflectors.
Thank you MonsterMash, Great information and pictures.

I was looking at the National Cycle deflectors but there are so many different models to choose from. Finely, on Amazon, I found that the model #N5521 fit the CR.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
The clear or smokes deflectors will look better than the dirt-bike style and should do a decent job of breaking wind.... just like @broggyr :ltr:

·
Registered
533 Posts
The clear or smokes deflectors will look better than the dirt-bike style and should do a decent job of breaking wind.... just like @broggyr :ltr:
yeah i have the light smoke ones... think i paid around $50 on ebay for them. but they were the one advertised as fitting the XR. And when i crossed the part numbers back to National Cycle it was correct, but i found the collision issue with the tank and the clutch side deflector right after i installed them... kind of sucks and with the black tank you have to look for it, but its a little more noticeable when i wash and wax the tank.

·
Registered
533 Posts
funny you mention those, because I tried a set of guards for a KTM when i had my hammer.. i had to get creative with the mounts but a quick trip to lowes solved that.. it didn't look right but for cold riding, it was more critical to keep my hands warm than look awesome.
lol

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
No one breaks wind like I do!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I received the deflectors a few days ago and installed them today.

If I feel up to it, I will try them out tomorrow. (I was sick yesterday).

MonsterMash I checked and had 3 1/2 inches from the tank. My bars are a bit high and they are Cross Country bars for a bit more pull back. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The wind deflectors worked very well on yesterday's ride. It was strange to be riding at highway speed and feeling no wind pressure on my gloves. Every once in a while I would move my hand from behind the deflector and the wind blast would blow my hand behind my body so I know the wind was there.

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
I had been thinking of wind deflectors for many years, but didn't think there were any that worked on our bikes. I thank you for pioneering that and I will be doing that too.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had been thinking of wind deflectors for many years, but didn't think there were any that worked on our bikes. I thank you for pioneering that and I will be doing that too.
Thanks but MonsterMash did this project before I did. And he warned me/us about the possible interference between the deflector and gas tank, so take heed. That was the first thing I checked as I did the install.

·
Registered
533 Posts
The wind deflectors worked very well on yesterday's ride. It was strange to be riding at highway speed and feeling no wind pressure on my gloves. Every once in a while I would move my hand from behind the deflector and the wind blast would blow my hand behind my body so I know the wind was there.
yep, for the cold weather its awesome... kind of sucks during the warm riding season though... i just got lazy and didn't want to mess with taking them on and off so i leave mine on all the time. i got the smoke ones, but i wonder if there is a difference between the XR and XC handlebars. I know mine are the stock XR bars but I haven't messed with adjusting them for different angles or anything. I would suspect that if i had adjusted them a little i never would have made contact with the tank, but unless you know where to look or are specifically looking for defects its not very noticeable. one of these days i am going to do something other than the basic black on my XR and it will disappear. :)

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yep, for the cold weather its awesome... kind of sucks during the warm riding season though... i just got lazy and didn't want to mess with taking them on and off so i leave mine on all the time. i got the smoke ones, but i wonder if there is a difference between the XR and XC handlebars. I know mine are the stock XR bars but I haven't messed with adjusting them for different angles or anything. I would suspect that if i had adjusted them a little i never would have made contact with the tank, but unless you know where to look or are specifically looking for defects its not very noticeable. one of these days i am going to do something other than the basic black on my XR and it will disappear. :)
The CC bars are 2" longer than the CR bars. Lets you set back and relax a bit more.

I raise the handle bars up a bit on all my bikes. 6'2", That way I can sit up a bit and not slouch.

One time I was trying out a used bike for purchase and discovered I could not turn the bike around because the bars hit my knees.:crzy:

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
If someone is interested, I have a set of the 2" pullback bars for the CR that I could sell you.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts