1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Keep in mind fellas, when looking at watts and advertised watts, you're looking at a lie. Sort of. All companies advertise in PEAK watts which does nothing for you. That rating means that it could take a very brief burp of that amount. RMS wattage is what you're looking for. RMS is the continual wattage the component is rated for meaning it can operate at that level continuously. You'll see systems advertised on Amazon and Ebay with 700 watts, 1,000 watts etc and it's bull. They will put out about 20 RMS watts. At 70 mph going down the highway, you might here a little twang. I was sold on cycle sounds and actually talked to the rep on the phone. I asked him what the RMS watts are on the 2.5" system and he told me the amp puts out 28 RMS watts and you won't find it advertised. That's not much fellas. I'm sure its top shelf quality and will last for years, but will you hear it at 70 mph +?? I personally had my doubts. I did further research found J&M system puts out 40 watts RMS per channel (2.5"), unique cycle sounds puts out 50 watts RMS per channel using 4" Pioneer and Motorcycle Tunes puts out 100 watts RMS per channel and uses 4" JVC speakers with an option to upgrade to Polk Audio for an additional $50.

About 3 hours ago I purchased the 700 watt motorcycle tunes package (100 watts RMS X 2) with the Polk Audio upgrade. Ordered 1.25" chrome clamps and I'll mount on my highway bars so I don't clutter my handle bars with 4" speakers.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
You also want to look at the frequency response rating of the speakers. Example: 50hz - 25khz. This is the frequency of which the speaker can handle. The high pitch sounds like symbols, high hats, bottom guitar strings, will produce a hz in the thousands. The deep notes, bass guitar, bass drum will produce hz in the low hundreds on down to low double digits. If the speakers you buy has a frequency response of 125hz - 24khz, your speakers will handle the high notes well but will distort with the bass and you'll get very little bass sound from the speaker. Usually, the larger the speaker the lower the hz it can handle. a 2" speaker will not take 25hz. It will be like having the treble cranked up.

·
Registered
57 Posts
great info Rebel

And I totally agree with the RMS, its the key!!
Love to see a pic of these babies when you have them running, or even better a taste of the audio cranked a bit!!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I was just reading about the 2013 Honda Goldwing F6B, which comes stock with a stereo mounted in the fairing, like a XC...

Biggest gripe was that you couldnt hear the stereo over 30-35mph. If a stock stereo cant be heard, I seriously doubt that you are going to get any kind of quality sounds out of what youre looking at... Especially if you dont have a windshield - the wind noise alone will cancel out anything coming from the speakers. If you have pipes, forget it!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I seriously doubt that you are going to get any kind of quality sounds out of what youre looking at...
I'm not sure I'd agree with the statement. It all comes down to power. I'd bet a weeks wage (if I was a gambler) that I could put a set of speakers on a bike that you could hear next to a jet engine. Given a large enough amplifier and a high enough rated speaker, it can be done. Naturally, if you buy one of these very common and inexpensive handlebar systems or even fairing mounted system, you're only looking at around 25-40 TRUE watts per speaker. That may not be enough to hear them at highway speeds. Now if you had 300 TRUE watts per speaker I'd garantee you could blow your eardrums out even at highway speeds.
It all comes down to RMS watts. They need to be considerably high. I've read several reviews of motorcycletunes.com 700 watt, 800 watt package (200 RMS and 300 RMS) that were mounted on HDs with loud pipes and they claim the music sounds very good at 80+ mph. Those are powerful and a fairly large 4" speaker so you can't tuck it away in a corner on your bike. The RMS power is going to come at a cost of size.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I would tend to agree with Rebel. I have had aftermarket stereos in EVERY car i've owned since 16 and i'm now 38. to the point some were show quality systems. the problem i always suspected is where are you giong to find a place for an amp that can put out that kind of wattage? Especially on a JP? I have done zero research on this but i just don't think that i could find an amp that would put out the wattage needed and small enough to hide w/o bags. as big as this headlight is i still doubt anything would fit.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Yep, size and placement is the issue. These little 1.5" x 3" amps are not putting out 200 RMS watts. Most as noted above, are putting out 20-40 watts RMS for each of the 2 channels. The system I just purchased has 200 RMS watts (100 per channel) but the amp is 4"x3" I don't think you'll fit that in the headlight assembly and you don't want it under the tank due to the heat. The best place for it would probably be on the frame right there with the horn so it gets air cooled as you ride. You'd deffinately want to make sure the amp is water proof though which the one I purchased is.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rebel,
I am looking at the motorcycle tunes too.
Please provide an udpate about the sound when out on highway at speeds north of 70mph.
I am too talented with tools so I have to choose my mods wisely..
Appreciate the feedback...As I knew other riders had thoughts of leaving the ear buds behind when out on a ride..

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Rebel,
I am looking at the motorcycle tunes too.
Please provide an udpate about the sound when out on highway at speeds north of 70mph.
I placed my order last evening, They're made in Texas so it should only take a couple days to get to my residence here in Arkansas. I'll probably install that same night. I should be able to let you know how they sound at 90 mph in a few days. thumb up

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great to hear. i will forward to your feedback. Thumbs up most deffinitely for sound at 90 mph.

Looks like you have quick release windshield correct?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Yep, well...its not so quick. You have to put the key in each side to unlock it then pull it off. I really never take it off though. I've only removed it just to see how it comes off.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I received my package from motorcycletunes.com and installed the 4" Polk Audio speakers on my highway bars. I'm not impressed. I listened to a co-workers 2.5" Pyle (o' crap) system today and they didn't sound too bad, distorted with rock or metal but fairly loud. I bench tested my system prior to install and while it did sound good and crisp with descent low range, it wasn't much louder than the cheap systems. After install I went on a test ride and it was difficult to hear the system while accelerating and over 50 mph.

I came back home and placed an order for 1" handlebar clamps. I'll be moving the speakers from the highway bars to the handlebars. I'll let ya'll know how they sound when the clamps come in and get remounted.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Actually, now that I think about it and really get a good look at the amplifier provided. The amp does not have a manufacturer label on it but I'm quite certain it's Pyle. The connectors look identical to Pyle's and the included gain control switch is identical to Pyle. The speakers are legit, the housing is solid but the amp and accessories are cheap. Just based off that alone, I would recommend you go with somebody else. I paid $330 for a Pyle system with some Polk Audio speakers. Not a good deal. I'm bummed! :(

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the fedback. I am goin to keep researching and will communicate with you what I uncover.
Let me know if handle bar mounted improves the experience?

Have a great day of riding..

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
what about the sound of chrome by Kuryakyn? they now have a bluetooth version, pretty impressive...
Anyone have an experience with these?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
what about the sound of chrome by Kuryakyn? they now have a bluetooth version, pretty impressive...
Anyone have an experience with these?
Cycle Sounds has graphs posted on their website of data measured from their speakers vs some competitors, distortion and db for example. Sound of Chrome by Kuryakyn is one of the ones shown on the graphs...and they outperform Kuryakyn. I should have went with cycle sounds.

http://www.cyclesounds.com/media/pdf/dist_freq_charts.pdf

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I took an 11 hour trip Saturday and the system was cutting out like it had a bad connection. I checked my connections several times and were solid so either bad connectors or bad amp. I didn't look at the amp real close when I did the install but started to closely examine it afteward and I determined that the amp I received was just a Pyle amp. I spent $330 for polk audio speakers and a pyle amp! I could buy the same Pyle amp for $60. What really gets me is this was advertised as made in Texas.
I'm not going to relocate to my handlebars. I'm disappointed in the quality of the amp and connectors. I sent the company a complaint and they approved me to ship the system back for a refund.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts