Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey JP owners. I'm going to try to get a test ride on a 2014 JP. Red two tone. Everything red: swing arm, frame, brake and shift levers. Pretty bike. What should I expect handling wise. It looks like it won't like the twisties much. Hell, tell me about the motor, too. Everything helps. Locally, I'm looking at two BW's, two XR's with the Khaki two tone, the 2014 Jackpot (very pretty, everything red), 2014 XC gray with the green flames, and a XC 8ball not sure of year.

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
Hey JP owners. I'm going to try to get a test ride on a 2014 JP. Red two tone. Everything red: swing arm, frame, brake and shift levers. Pretty bike. What should I expect handling wise. It looks like it won't like the twisties much. Hell, tell me about the motor, too. Everything helps. Locally, I'm looking at two BW's, two XR's with the Khaki two tone, the 2014 Jackpot (very pretty, everything red), 2014 XC gray with the green flames, and a XC 8ball not sure of year.
Ride em then you tell us what you think.

·
Premium Member
6,041 Posts
Puma, i hope you will be just as pleased with a JP as me, low speed cornering is good, twisties are good also .... It is not as good as a Vision but it does not have to be .... Guess JP and Hammer are 90% same handing. ??

Test ride it hard mate

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
If you've never ridden a fat tire bike its gonna feel hard to turn at low speeds back tire wants to push straight so you have to use a little more effort to make it turn. Once you get used to it you don't even notice it anymore. I equate it to driving a sports car with big tires. I actually prefer it now and feel like I'm gonna fall over on the other bikes when I get on one.My Hammer handles excellent and the only issue being ground clearance when pushing it. I was originally going to purchase the Jackpot I think its one of the best looking bikes Vic ever made.I ended up with the Hammer for two reasons The Jackpot doesn't handle like a Hammer (not that it was bad) and the other reason was $$$. Good Luck with whatever you decide to go with.

·
Premium Member
6,041 Posts
I have seen a hammer in Kuala Lumpur and Love the looks ....

Yes ground clearance is a minor problem ....

I only owned Jap bikes before and my wife bought me this JP so no testride .... So noooo problem with the fat tire

Post pictures of your test ride please ??

·
Registered
9 Posts
JP handeling

After riding my son's 2014 Jackpot I knew I wanted a Victory with a fat rear tire!! I decided on 2012 Hammer S with only 600 miles on it. The only reason I didn't get a Jackpot was the skinny front tire. It just didn't feel right to me? I think the hammer handle's better than the Jackpot.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After riding my son's 2014 Jackpot I knew I wanted a Victory with a fat rear tire!! I decided on 2012 Hammer S with only 600 miles on it. The only reason I didn't get a Jackpot was the skinny front tire. It just didn't feel right to me? I think the hammer handle's better than the Jackpot.
There's a dealer about 90 minutes from me with a Hammer 8-ball. All the performance of any other Hammer, I think, except for braking. Only a single disc up front. He's got some other stuff, too: A CR 8-ball, a cc, a High Ball, Vegas, CC tour, Magnum, and Indians, too. I just don't think he is going to want my trade.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I love my JP. The only issue that I have run into is because the front tire is smaller, it seems to grab ridges in the road easier. It wasn't nearly as bad on my last bike which had a wider front tire.

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
There's a dealer about 90 minutes from me with a Hammer 8-ball. All the performance of any other Hammer, I think, except for braking. Only a single disc up front. He's got some other stuff, too: A CR 8-ball, a cc, a High Ball, Vegas, CC tour, Magnum, and Indians, too. I just don't think he is going to want my trade.
That'll depend on what your trade is and how much you'll take for it I'd think.....have you told us what you currently ride?
Trades are a ripoff usually anyway, better to sell privately I reckon and walk in with the cash...I'm a cash man no payment plans for me.

and yeah tall skinny 21" wheels do tend to follow ripples in the road, it's a downside to them but one I accept and handle.

Single disc on mine pulls up ok, dual would be better of course, I think the Hammer S has duals.

·
Registered
222 Posts
The jp does take some getting used to I swapped the dunslop out for a Metzler n it made a world of difference. There sweet bikes another thing I would think about is if you like taking long rides, the jp isn't set up to be a tourer. I'm not just talking about the bags but also the suspension and seat arn't as nice as what you'll get on a xc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts