He is risen!

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Happy Easter to you all. Ride safe:ride:

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
'prophets' and 'teachers' came and went before and after Jesus. But only ONE grave was empty because He rose, exactly like He said He would. It's a day that changed history and time forever. Happy Resurrection Day indeed!

·
Registered
282 Posts
I respect the right of people to practise their religion, and follow whichever prophets they wish.
But, honestly, I find it very difficult to accept that people really believe that Jesus rose from the dead, or for that matter, that Mohammad rode up to heaven on his flying horse. Yet there are millions and millions of people that really believe both these things are true.
God, Allah, and the Flying Spaghetti Monster (blessed be his name) - all are equally unproven.
For an atheist such as me, Easter serves as a reminder of the suffering and wars that competing religious ideologies have brought, and continue to bring to the world.
I know many people may be upset at this point of view, but atheism continues to grow and western societies in particular are becoming more secular, as church attendance continues to decline.
This is my point of view only. I do not knock on doors or distribute literature to promote it and I respect the right of other people to hold different opinions.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I respect the right of people to practise their religion, and follow whichever prophets they wish.
... Flying Spaghetti Monster (blessed be his name) - all are equally unproven.
For an atheist such as me,....
+1

cheers

and happy easter, whatever you believe or don't believe thumb up

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Believing in God (Jesus) doesn't change His status a bit. He always was and always will be God, whether or not we believe it or accept it. Believing only changes our status.

It's not compulsory to believe in Him or to follow Him. He gives us the opportunity to decide for ourselves how we want to live before and after physical death here on earth.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you believe in a higher power or not is how you feel. I do know one thing, during that "oh ****" moment, no matter what you believe you are asking for someone to save your ass.

·
Administrator
5,971 Posts
... I find it very difficult to accept that people really believe that Jesus rose from the dead...
So the apostoles made it up and gave false witness. But why would they all seal that lie with their own blood? All martyred because they continued to affirm that Jesus rose from the grave. Do you see it plausible that someone would give their life to maintain a lie they've told? And not just one lunatic, but all of the apostoles, one by one, died through torture and painful deaths hanging onto a lie?

Also, our own judicial system considers an event as fact if witnessed by several people. Jesus showed himself, risen, to hundreds of people who gave testimony to what they have seen.

And then there's the Bible describing the death and resurrection of the Messiah hundreds and thousands of years before it even took place.

Personally, I find it very difficult not to believe.

...I respect the right of people to practise their religion...
Religion is man made. I have little faith in anything man made.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
But, honestly, I find it very difficult to accept that people really believe that Jesus rose from the dead, or for that matter, that Mohammad rode up to heaven on his flying horse. Yet there are millions and millions of people that really believe both these things are true.
God, Allah, and the Flying Spaghetti Monster (blessed be his name) - all are equally unproven.
For an atheist such as me, Easter serves as a reminder of the suffering and wars that competing religious ideologies have brought, and continue to bring to the world.
I know many people may be upset at this point of view, but atheism continues to grow and western societies in particular are becoming more secular, as church attendance continues to decline.
This is my point of view only. I do not knock on doors or distribute literature to promote it and I respect the right of other people to hold different opinions.
Did you feel the need that badly to come on this thread and dump on people's beliefs? To each his own I reckon.

You don't HAVE to believe right now but you will before long. One day every tongue will confess He is God. One day every knee will bow. Still the greatest treasure remains for those who gladly choose Him now!

·
Registered
69 Posts
But, honestly, I find it very difficult to accept that people really believe that Jesus rose from the dead,
Darker, Jesus is more than a prophet, He is the Son of God that came to this earth, willingly, to give His life so that we can go before God without having to sacrifice an Animal to atone for our sins as they did before Jesus. For me this "christianity thing" is not a crutch as some say, nor a thing I feel that I need to feel like i'm a good person. This has been a very real and life changing thing for me. I'm still an idiot sometimes and "sin" every single day like everyone else, but the things I've experienced spiritually and physically is what I know and cannot ever be disproven by anyone telling me there is no God. A good example that I've heard before is about the wind and or the air. Can you see it? No. Can you touch it? No. Do you know where it starts and where it ends? No, then how do we know air exists? Did someone tells us and so we say okay? God is similar in the fact that I can't physically see or touch or even hear an audible voice, but I know in my heart and when i have felt the presence of His Holy Spirit and have felt His love and peace that exceedes my understanding that He is as real as you or I. Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not yet seen.

That's the problem , when we as man thinks that our religion is the right one and we will kill anyone that doesn't believe or accept or "religion". God actually despises religion and the only religion he accepts is taking care of the orphans and the widows.

·
Registered
69 Posts
If you believe in a higher power or not is how you feel. I do know one thing, during that "oh ****" moment, no matter what you believe you are asking for someone to save your ass.
That's like the old saying that you won't find an atheist in a fox hole.
Look at different tribes throughout history that had never been in contact with the modern or outside world. They had some form of religion in the fact that they worshipped some being or form of a higher power. It's built into us, God created us that way on purpose.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Like I said, I certainly respect other people's views and I thank those who responded, for having a considered debate with an atheist, as all too often people can get very worked up about religion.

I watched the film Noah the other night, and got to reading the bible afterwards. Started at Genesis, as you do. There are many miracles in the old testament, that is for sure. Noah for example lived to 600 years of age, and fathered his three children at 500 years of age. For Noah and his three sons and their (unnamed) wives, that was quite a feat to built the ark from scratch and get all the animals of the world onto it. And, you know, that famous story is an example of what the Bible is - a parable. You can't interpret those stories literally, unless you choose to suspend rational belief.

The same for the apostles I am afraid. Yes, some chose death. But that hardly makes them unique. How many soldiers throughout history have chosen death? From 300 Spartans, to 5,000 at Gettysburg, to 8,000 Australians at Gallipolli to 2,000 US GIs on Omaha Beach. They bravely, willingly died for their cause.

Lots of people supposedly saw Jesus rise from the dead. Lots of other people saw Mohamed ride to heaven on his horse as well.

For me, if I say "I really believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster, I have seen him in the sky", such a belief is on the same rational level as a belief in God. That is to say, equally improbable.

It is also true there weren't many atheists in foxholes. For example, Nazi soldiers in WW2 had "God is with us" inscribed on their belt buckles. I suppose quite a few million people got to see that and contemplate it, before they were shot or gassed. Desperate times also tend to drive people to religion. After WW2, church attendances generally declined, as saviour wasn't in so much demand.

My view only, and of course your experience may vary. I am just stating some reasons why I have this point of view, what forms the basis of my belief, without criticising other people's beliefs. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
What the heck is this discussion doing in the general discussion area? Politics or religion belong some place else like maybe the Victory Forums Lounge.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts