Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like harbor freight is having a big sale this weekend. I see on their website that the 1000 lb bike lifts are $300 bucks. And if you have a 25% off coupon that's about $235 or $240 out the door.thumb up

·
Premium Member
13,699 Posts
Looks like harbor freight is having a big sale this weekend. I see on their website that the 1000 lb bike lifts are $300 bucks. And if you have a 25% off coupon that's about $235 or $240 out the door.thumb up
Damn! That's a great deal. Wish I had the spare cash right now. I'd take the 2 hour drive to the nearest HF.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
They are always $299. Just open any MC magazine and that's what they are advertised at.

·
Premium Member
13,699 Posts
It makes sense that there are different products for sale in different areas. No doubt the different stores and warehouses have different overstocked items that haven't been moving.

The heads-up is definitely appreciated though. :)

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I have the same one and it is great for the price! I was actually extremely surprised at how sturdy it is. I did change the chock on it to my own though. No more crawling around on the floor like a friggen idiot!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,699 Posts
Well, going in for my 3rd back surgery on Tuesday. I really need to get one of these for when I do any significant work on either bike. What is the best chock to get? Maybe I can get one while I wait for a sale and save up a bit to get one.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I got one to....same thing, $299 on sale.

......but the sale did not allow using the coupon. If you read the print on the coupon you can not use it on lots of items.....including jacks and instore special sale items.

Even at $299 its a good buy.

I use mine alot. I put my Vision on it (shes a big girl).....wanted a bit more bracing as a backup plan so I used a couple 2x4s slide underneath the platform (one on each side). Made me feel alot better.....not sure if it was necessary or not.

I do agree about the wheel chock....I thought it looked fine so I originally didnt buy a different one. Took me using it twice to decide it needed replaced. Got this one at HF to replace it.

While the original wheel chock sucked for use on the table.....I kept it and it proved to be spectacular on my motorcycle trailer.

I bolted it to the front rail.....works slick. Really keeps the front end from cocking right or left when your hauling a bike. Much more secure that way.

·
Premium Member
13,699 Posts
I got one of those too. Works well, but it does require 2 people to load and unload.
I bet you could do it alone if you had some 2x6's nailed or screw together until you match the height of the ramp when down. Put them on both sides to give you someplace to put you feet and kick stand.

Watch this video from Lokescotty to see what I mean.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-sXTbWUDXc

·
Premium Member
2,432 Posts
I bet you could do it alone if you had some 2x6's nailed or screw together until you match the height of the ramp when down. Put them on both sides to give you someplace to put you feet and kick stand.

I might could do that on the HF lift now, but it still looks scary with no helper.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-sXTbWUDXc[/QUOTE]

So sorry, BBob-san, but I'm calling fake on the vid. No one's garage is that pathologically tidy and empty. Actually, it's a case of great minds thinking alike. A small steadying platform for each side is on my rainy day list. I feel like a circus elephant balancing on a drum and am so uncomfortable with it that I do a running, dead engine roll up the ramp and into the chock. Sounds unwieldy but I have gotten pretty good at it and it has the advantage that should the unspeakable happen, you aren't falling from on high with it and you can get out from under it. I do 90+% of my chores on the deck in a chock or on a frame lift so my rainy day hasn't yet come, but it's a good, simple fix and the way to go for us folks afraid of heights.

While we're at it, anybody have a line on a good, skinny scissor jack that can fit under the bike while on the lift? I might use my lift more if I had one.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
So sorry, BBob-san, but I'm calling fake on the vid. No one's garage is that pathologically tidy and empty. Actually, it's a case of great minds thinking alike. A small steadying platform for each side is on my rainy day list. I feel like a circus elephant balancing on a drum and am so uncomfortable with it that I do a running, dead engine roll up the ramp and into the chock. Sounds unwieldy but I have gotten pretty good at it and it has the advantage that should the unspeakable happen, you aren't falling from on high with it and you can get out from under it. I do 90+% of my chores on the deck in a chock or on a frame lift so my rainy day hasn't yet come, but it's a good, simple fix and the way to go for us folks afraid of heights.

While we're at it, anybody have a line on a good, skinny scissor jack that can fit under the bike while on the lift? I might use my lift more if I had one.

41[/QUOTE]

Here's one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1100-LB-Motorcycle-Dirt-Bike-ATV-Scissor-Center-Jack-Mini-Lift-Crank-Floor-Stand-/380648116050?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item58a0654f52&vxp=mtr

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts

Looks like he's using a Direct lift. He has the table extension on it also due to his bike being longer with the raked extended front fork. He's had trouble in the past with high centering too. Notice how he's very careful and looking down ago the lift when he gets to the point where the frame is close to the lift while riding up? Also notice the home made extended plywood ramp leaning against the back wall of the garage. My guess is he made that before he extended the table.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Looks like he's using a Direct lift. He has the table extension on it also due to his bike being longer with the raked extended front fork. He's had trouble in the past with high centering too. Notice how he's very careful and looking down ago the lift when he gets to the point where the frame is close to the lift while riding up? Also notice the home made extended plywood ramp leaning against the back wall of the garage. My guess is he made that before he extended the table.
DD,

Not bad, DD, not bad. Strong work with the eBay link. I'm all over that. Exactly what I was looking for. Mucho grass.

I'll let BBob clarify as he sees fit but I think he misspoke and said "ramp" instead of "table/platform". We're not having problems with length or high-centering, it's keeping the dang bike stable and upright once you ride it up on the table when you're working alone, and before you can get it clamped and strapped. No place but way, way down to put your feet with most tables too ridiculously narrow to accommodate, how shall I gently put this?, our corpulent road warriors and a stable foot down on either side at the same time. You guys with foot pegs may do okay but foot boards and saddlebags block a lot of potential foot room on the table. Like the guy in the vid did with his kickstand, put some support even with and outboard the table when it's lowered for feet, kickstands, whatever until you can get it lashed down. Got a bud to help, no prob, this is for the solos.

Again, thanks for the link.

·
Premium Member
13,699 Posts
Those red scissor lifts were going for $45 shipped for a long time. Guess a solo place to buy them has made them more expensive. The website I bought mine from is gone. Freakin' economy sucks.

I don't think you understand what I meant by having those boards along side the lift. They would probably need to be 4-5' long. They would be there for you to have someplace to put your feet and ultimately the kickstand unless you could slip the front wheel right into a chock to hold up the bike before putting some straps on it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Well, going in for my 3rd back surgery on Tuesday. I really need to get one of these for when I do any significant work on either bike. What is the best chock to get? Maybe I can get one while I wait for a sale and save up a bit to get one.
Condor makes a great chock and you don't have to worry about a place for the kickstand. The only problem is the price is about the same as that table.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts