Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in another thread. I wanted to re-post it under a different heading.

I rode some more this afternoon and was pleased with the heat reduction on my legs. I could actually feel the sun shining on my legs instead of the engine heat. thumb up

My bike is a 2011 XC, it came with the forged bars. I added the hard lowers for the wind management. I did this last fall so the added heat was not that bad.
The midwest has been having a severe hot spell and the heat off the bike has almost been enough to make me drive my truck.
This morning, I took the deflectors out of my hard lowers. Took about 20 minutes. (15 minutes to figure out the first one, 5 minutes on the second.)
Took the bike for a 30 mile ride, mixed highway and side roads. The bank said the temp was 97, the bike said 101 on the interstate. (11 am)
The heat was much more tolerable, almost like it was before I put the lowers on. I did not feel lots of dirty air coming up from the motor. I closed my fairing wings, the air bubble was very calm.

Granted, there is still heat off the engine, but this made a ton of difference.

The deflectors can be removed with only taking off the outside covers. Take them off, remove the e-clip from the clevis pin, remove the pin, gently lift the bottom over the locating nipple, gently pull down to remove the deflector. I put the pin back in the deflector, put the e-clip back on it for storage then put the outside cover back on.

Nothing has to be cut or destructed so they can be put back in when fall comes.

·
Registered
367 Posts
What is the advantage with taking them off just open them???/

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
I did the same thing yesterday , took the vent part out and went for a ride. I did think it might be a tad cooler but then again Im in south Florida and it was 91 by the bikes on screen display. So last night I put them back in and adjusted them sereval times on a long interstate ride this morning running about 74mph. the best I found was to have the left lower vent ( gear shift side ) wide open and the right side I opened it al the way then close it about a inch, this seemed to give me plenty of airflow with out having the backs of my thighs getting to hot. I like the idea of keeping them in for rainy days ( which we have plenty of them ) and besides that at least when its love bug season I can close them and hopefully save on cleaning time.

For me the heat is ok running up the road and it does get a bit hot a lights , our goldwing wasn't much better. I think we all think about the heat this time of year and in 4-5 months we will all be saying its to cold to ride.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What is the advantage with taking them off just open them???/
The deflectors are not flat. There is no "neutral" position for them, they are always causing turbulence.

My daily ride is a mix of secondary streets and interstate. While I can find a position that worked fairly well for either, I could not find one that worked for both.

Taking them out seems to let the air flow through smoother. As I said in the original post about this, there is still some heat, its just more tolerable. Maybe when we are done with our triple digit heat, I'll put them back in. (its not bad when the temps are below 90)

Granted, these are all my observations, your results may vary.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like the idea of keeping them in for rainy days ( which we have plenty of them ) and besides that at least when its love bug season I can close them and hopefully save on cleaning time.
I've been down there during love bug season, that sucks!

·
13,002 Posts
If you saw that video of the making of the new badges and really look close there was a XC and it had a vent wing on the faring. It was a blue bike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts