Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was debating on buying the hard lowers. I went to the dealer and looked at them and thought they are nice but not the look I want right now. So then it came down to what I wanted. Something I could take on and off the bike easy, Price, and still wanted a little wind and rain protection. As I was telling the sales guy what I was looking for he Suggested the leather lowers as a great alternative. The price of 100 bucks I couldnt beat that. So I purchased the leather style. I got home installed them in about 45 seconds. I think it tool longer to walk to fridge and get a beer than it did to install.
We left for a long day on the bike yesterday am it was 39 degrees. These worked just as I hoped they would. they kept my legs warmer and helped block some of the wind.
We did 280 miles on the bikes yesterday and I finally reached my break in period. So oil change is Due this week.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yep, I prefer the soft lowers as well. Very easy to slip on and off and takes up little storage space in the bags when not needed.

A good $100 investment.

·
12,984 Posts
Not knowing what they look like soft is great.
Put them in the bottom of the bags and when it rain put them on. Back in the day always had them in my bags a long with my heated jacket. You never know how much you can love having them

·
Registered
415 Posts
Okay, I know that what I'm about to say is comparing apples to oranges but here's my 2¢ worth.

I had a set of ballistic nylon lowers for my Electra-Glide and used them exactly twice. Unfortunately both times I used them I wound up on a truck after the engine failed. The first was a top end rod bearing failure and the second was the lower end crank bearing on the left side. First time was at 92k miles and the second at 127k miles on the factory engine.

Can I say beyond a doubt that the disrupted airflow to the engine was the culprit? Nope, not in the least but I'm REALLY paranoid about changing the cooling airflow around motors anymore. I've looked at the soft lowers for my XC but my paranoia is probably going to prevent me from going there.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Okay, I know that what I'm about to say is comparing apples to oranges but here's my 2¢ worth.

I had a set of ballistic nylon lowers for my Electra-Glide and used them exactly twice. Unfortunately both times I used them I wound up on a truck after the engine failed. The first was a top end rod bearing failure and the second was the lower end crank bearing on the left side. First time was at 92k miles and the second at 127k miles on the factory engine.

Can I say beyond a doubt that the disrupted airflow to the engine was the culprit? Nope, not in the least but I'm REALLY paranoid about changing the cooling airflow around motors anymore. I've looked at the soft lowers for my XC but my paranoia is probably going to prevent me from going there.
Ah, you're fine Joe. You're on a Victory now. No worries about engines blowing up. :D

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
I went to a "total control" riding class this past Sunday. Class started at 0800 and it was a 2 hour ride to get there so leaving my place at 0530 at about 30 degrees, I wish I had some soft lowers.

I had actually placed an order with some dude on e-bay. Something got mixed up and the order never went through and I never got them.

A buddy got a set for his Indian Chieftain through Sagebrush. He likes them a lot and while I probably don't have much use for them any more this year, I'm going to order a set to have in my bags. Just gotta figure out what I want on them before placing the order.

·
Registered
415 Posts
joelis said:
Ah, you're fine Joe. You're on a Victory now. No worries about engines blowing up.
I would certainly hope not.thumb up

The funny thing is, that old Electra-Glide now exists as a rigid, foot clutch chopper with an 89" 115hp stroker in it that I built the last time the engine puked on me. My brother and I chopped it after I bought my StratoLiner in '06. As usual it's sitting in his garage right now with a once again busted motor.

I guess if anybody asked why I ride a Victory I could show 'em a picture of an empty rigid frame sitting on a lift....;)

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Soft lowers are a great affordable alternative to the others. The JTD lowers got my thumbs up because they are vented and adjustable for air flow. The JTD's coupled with my Klock windshield eliminated all my buffeting concerns. I have not removed them even during our hot humid Florida summers. I don't feel any more engine heat than before the lowers and since my KMC tune excessive motor heat is a thing of the past.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I have had the Vic soft lowers for my bike since 2009. Love them, and believe me when the temperature gets above 70* you will take them off long before you hurt the Vic, your legs will tell you when it is time. I guess we all have different opinions on the heat, but I rode a friends XCT with the hard lowers, and when the temp gets to 80* I would either park it or take them off. He does take them off in the summer, but then when it rains his legs get drenched. In just a minute I can install the soft lowers right over the Baker Air Wings, and when I don't need the soft lowers I just take them off store them and adjust the air wings to eliminate the buffeting. For me at least it is the best of both worlds. thumb up

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I've got the soft lowers and have run them for 2 winters now. They do keep your legs and feet warm and are great for deflecting the rain. The down side for me is that they send a concentrated stream of air straight at my chin which really sucks on those real cold days. Also the Vic is oil air cooled and as long as your not blocking the oil cooler then you are fine to run the closeouts in higher temps.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have the JTD hard lowers with lights. Not cheap but, well worth the $ IMHO. cheers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts