Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've haven't been riding for 10+ years, after some research I decided on a Victory KP. I've been looking for over a year (getting back into riding, I didn't want to spend the thousand for a new one). i have two dealers an hour away, with no used inventory. I found one at Power Brokers in Sioux Falls,SD (not a dealer) , an 05 KP with 9800 miles. I bought it and I love it. I think Victory could gain a lot of riders if they could get used bike at the dealers. I'm only 60 miles for Spirit Lake where they build Victories, I'd love to see more Victories on the road.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
In the world of American built bikes you'll find that the majority of people that trade in or sell their bikes do it for 3 reasons:

Their bike is getting close to needing high dollar maintenace.
They can't afford to keep their bike.
They are upgrading to a newer model.

In todays economy motrcycle sales are down so trades are down. This means that it's harder to score a good deal because good trade ins are selling for close to the same price as new bikes.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I think the price is what keeps the Victory club pretty small. The "general" public seems to think that if they pay that kind of money, they should spend it on a Harley. I actually like the idea of having something rare. But that also has made it hard to find my first Vic on the used market, so I understand what you mean. In the end, we do want Victory to be successful. :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Dunno, but it seems like there are plenty of V92's on the market at reasonable prices. I'm lusting after an '03-'05 TC and those are going for 5 grand and under with plenty of choices on ebay and Craig's List. It makes sense there would be fewer of the newer models available, though.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Found my first Vic on cycletrader.com. Funny that the owner had it posted for almost 2 months with no bites. He dropped the price but I was the only 1 in the following 2 weeks that came by. Of course I bought it right there. I have been following the 03-06 TC's on craigs list, ebay and cycletrader as I plan to buy another for a project bike and their there but I think that folks just ain't letting go of the bikes. Great machine, dependable and if it aint broke, don't sell it.

Debating a Victory Dealership... lol... I think the wife would kill me!

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
I think the price is what keeps the Victory club pretty small. The "general" public seems to think that if they pay that kind of money, they should spend it on a Harley. I actually like the idea of having something rare. But that also has made it hard to find my first Vic on the used market, so I understand what you mean. In the end, we do want Victory to be successful. :)
Ding, ding. Victory is a low volume dealer still and will be for awhile. The way they're set up, their only real competition is Harley. And Harley has such a stranglehold on that piece of mental real estate it's not even funny. Even people who have never ridden or even thought of think one name and one name only when they hear "motorcycle". And that name is Harley.

Victory hasn't been around long. And really, only about a decade in their current form (after they revamped and built a brand identity). They've been around long enough and have now made a foothold. Give them twenty years and I anticipate Victory going toe to toe with the likes of HD. Better bike or not, there are lots of intangibles in things like this.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Too good

I've haven't been riding for 10+ years, after some research I decided on a Victory KP. I've been looking for over a year (getting back into riding, I didn't want to spend the thousand for a new one). i have two dealers an hour away, with no used inventory. I found one at Power Brokers in Sioux Falls,SD (not a dealer) , an 05 KP with 9800 miles. I bought it and I love it. I think Victory could gain a lot of riders if they could get used bike at the dealers. I'm only 60 miles for Spirit Lake where they build Victories, I'd love to see more Victories on the road.
Maybe the lack of used Vics has something to do with people liking them and so keeping them I normally buy a new bike about every 10 months as I get bored and am hooked on the new bike buzz but after almost a year I am still in love with my Hammer its ticking every box for me and despite the high original cost its actually saving me money in the long run so maybe you will have to just choke up the price of a new one painful but worth it:)

·
Premium Member
13,627 Posts
Yes. You just need to know where to look. Craigs List is where I found this 04 KP for an amazing price with under 15k miles. I'll be selling my other 04 KP as soon as I can prep it and change around a couple of parts.

Try using the site that lets you look at all of Craigs List. The guy I bought this one from was willing to ride it a quarter of the way to meet me with my trailer. He got a nice last ride from it and it also let me know the bike was very road worthy. Also; you might want to consider bikes that across the country but are priced well enough to pay for shipping it to your house. There are websites of truckers who will let you know what they would charge for shipping when they have room in their trucks. I don't have a link handy though.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Well, last year I wanted to upgrade from my Honda VTX. I knew I wanted a Victory but at that point I wanted a XC. I was in the same boat that I could not find a used one. So I decided to go to a dealer up near Milwaukee that had a couple new/old inventory XC bikes. Sitting out front was a 2008 Steel Gray Vision Tour Premium (14K miles). My wife was with me and as we got off the VTX we were a bit stiff from the long ride.

She spotted the Vision and said lets sit on this. She sat down and smiled saying WOW this is nice. As I looked at it, I thought it was sharp so I said lets take it for a spin.

Well, I never did look at the XC. I think I made up my mind after a couple blocks. The ride won me over. I knew this was a way different looking bike but I was liking all the features it had. Especially the handling and power.

I got a great deal on this bike and a respectable trade in. Basically 10K plus my 2004 VTX. Now after a full year I could not imagine a better MC. I did take the trunk off because I do a lot of commuting with it. I have a mix of stop and go and highway. The VV handles adequately in stop and go (without trunk) and GREAT at highway speeds.

Long story to say, a good used Vic can be found but sometimes you need to be lucky. By buying this MC I saved thousands off new. But because I was not having any luck I almost bought a new one.....

Good luck to all that are in the hunt.

Oh, I have found Cycletrader.com to be great in finding all kinds of MC.

Bill

·
Registered
566 Posts
Try using the site that lets you look at all of Craigs List. The guy I bought this one from was willing to ride it a quarter of the way to meet me with my trailer. He got a nice last ride from it and it also let me know the bike was very road worthy. Also; you might want to consider bikes that across the country but are priced well enough to pay for shipping it to your house. There are websites of truckers who will let you know what they would charge for shipping when they have room in their trucks. I don't have a link handy though.
Thanks for the site! I didn't know about this one. I have been using searchtempest.com, which I don't like a whole lot, but I suppose it works.

I have pretty much come to the same conclusion as you. I am looking within a 400 mile radius, to pick up a bike and ride it home, or ship it if it's a good bit further. However, I'm not ahuge fan of the idea of buying without seeing it in person, so it would have to be something exceptional to make me go that route.

·
Premium Member
13,627 Posts
I have pretty much come to the same conclusion as you. I am looking within a 400 mile radius, to pick up a bike and ride it home, or ship it if it's a good bit further. However, I'm not a huge fan of the idea of buying without seeing it in person, so it would have to be something exceptional to make me go that route.
I hear ya on not buying before looking at it. The seller can be a big help in taking good pictures and sending through email or better yet; making a video and let you hear it run - even over the phone you can tell a lot about how it runs, volume of the muffs, etc.

This time of year is popular for people finding the bike they like, flying to the location, then riding it home if they are convinced it's the right bike for them. I did that with a Vette out in DFW, Texas one time. That was one great drive home. :D

I guess I was mostly trying to imply some out of the box thinking might yield better results than the tried and true way we are use to doing things.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Used bikes

Same here, I have three dealers around, but they are all one hour away. Craigslist and cycletrader is also what I'm watching. One of my area (?) dealers has a new 2012 Hammer 8 Ball that he offered to me for 12,9... still thinking about it.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Thanks for the site! I didn't know about this one. I have been using searchtempest.com, which I don't like a whole lot, but I suppose it works.

I have pretty much come to the same conclusion as you. I am looking within a 400 mile radius, to pick up a bike and ride it home, or ship it if it's a good bit further. However, I'm not ahuge fan of the idea of buying without seeing it in person, so it would have to be something exceptional to make me go that route.
Here is a eBay listing by a REALLY nice & good forum guy. Looks like it only has about 25 minutes left on his auction. He may be a bit high but give him a call and see what you can work out. Metarie is "only" a 12 hour bike ride away. I know because I grew up in Denver, NC (same town this bike is in) and went to school in Monroe, LA.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649&item=110890137809&sspagename=STRK:MESINDXX:IT#ht_712wt_1164

·
Registered
566 Posts
Here is a craigslist that covers the hole USA book mark it for later use.
http://www.adhuntr.com/
I just discovered this recently, and have been using it quiet a bit to help me. I'm still mainly focused on distances I can travel on thie bike though.

Here is a eBay listing by a REALLY nice & good forum guy. Looks like it only has about 25 minutes left on his auction. He may be a bit high but give him a call and see what you can work out. Metarie is "only" a 12 hour bike ride away. I know because I grew up in Denver, NC (same town this bike is in) and went to school in Monroe, LA.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649&item=110890137809&sspagename=STRK:MESINDXX:IT#ht_712wt_1164
Nice looking bike, but not my cup of tea. I actually prefer a plain jain, clean look. I prefer NOT to stand out. It sounds like owning a Vic that's likely to be tough enough anyway, lol!

The NEW bikes in my price range are all going to have the suspension with only 3in travel, like the Judge, Vegas, and all other 8 ball flavors. I want something with 3.9 or higher.

I saw a real nice 2012 XR for $14k with just several hundred miles on tampa cl. I might check this one out when I go on vacation this coming week, if it's still available. I'm sure other stuff will pop up too by then.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts