Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 kingpin and I am starting to have trouble finding neutral. It is mainly after I have been riding the bike for more than 15 minutes. Is there anyhelp with this?

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
I have a 2005 kingpin and I am starting to have trouble finding neutral. It is mainly after I have been riding the bike for more than 15 minutes. Is there anyhelp with this?
How long has it been since you've changed your oil ?

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Neutral is not the easiest to find to begin with and as the oil breaks down it gets much harder.

As Gunslinger asked, when did you last change your oil. It needs to be changed every 2500 miles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I changed my oil about 300 miles ago. I used a synthetic blend oil along with a new filter. now that you asked about changing my oil, it did seem to start being hard to find jneutral after I had changed it.

·
13,235 Posts
When you go out to the garage and the bike is cold like first thing in the morning cold. Pull on the "clutch cable" up at the lever. When you pull on the cable it should come out of the housing a 1/16" to a 1/8" if it comes out father then that your clutch is out of adjustment.
Go down to the adjustment bolts. You will need to wrench's one to hold the long nut and the other for the normal size nut.
Loosen the locking nut and screw the long nut to the right and it will take the play out of the cable. Try the clutch three or four times and then pull the cable to see how much cable comes out. NO less then a 1/8" or No more.

Never adjust your clutch when its warm or hot

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried pulling the clutch cable, and it comes out at most an 1/8". I will give it an adjustment, but it won,t be much. I should also say that when it is hard to find neutral, it is also alot harder to push the shift lever when trying to find neutral.

·
13,235 Posts
Sounds like clutch ok might have something wrong inside trans

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
On other motorcycles if your clutches are burnt they can be hanging up. So even though you got the correct free-play possibly the clutch may not be disengaging correctly. Raise the back wheel off the ground.Put it into gear (engine off) then pull the clutch in and try to turn the wheel. You should be able to turn the back will with the clutch lever pulled in. If you can not you got problems inside the clutch.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I changed my oil about 300 miles ago. I used a synthetic blend oil along with a new filter. now that you asked about changing my oil, it did seem to start being hard to find jneutral after I had changed it.

by "synthetic blend" do you mean semi-synthetic? I think you do, just making sure.

What oil did you use? Did you use Victory recommended or something else - like amsoil.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
My 05 Pin is a bitch to find neutral when hot.No matter how many miles on the oil.Sometimes it is easier than others, but still tough. Although, oddly enough, I did find neutral easier with cheap walmart oil when I was breaking in the new piston rings. I have Vic oil again and will be changing soon again. I may try cheap oil again just to see if it was the oil or just me.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Tarzan,so new piston rings? Did you punch your cylinders out for more power? Was your engine due for an overhaul? If so how many miles on your bike? I am considering a new KP myself(if all works out). Just curious. I am out in Buckeye,Az. I got over 73,000 miles on my Triumph Speedmaster and no signs of a need of any major engine work yet,knock wood.---Sorry went back and read your comment again. I see you ran the higher compression pistons.Still how many miles when you changed out the pistons and was it needing an overhaul at the time?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am still driving my bike, but i am going to be getting new tires and brakes soon. I guess I will leave it to the experts. Thanks everyone for your help.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Neutral is not the easiest to find to begin with and as the oil breaks down it gets much harder.

As Gunslinger asked, when did you last change your oil. It needs to be changed every 2500 miles.
What about with synthetic?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts