Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Looks like a Yamaha / Star Bolt copy.... Once again, a wannabe copy by the motor company.....

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Another bike with the Revolution engine. Roughly half the size of the V Rod motor. It could be interesting to ride. I don't know how it will be accepted though. It's going to need to be revved a lot more than traditional TC Air Cooled or even the current V Rod to get power.

Honestly, I think it is a good idea. It seems to me that the MC is trying to slowly integrate a "new" and technology into the mainstream.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Not even sure why they make a 500 if read the specs the frames and most else are the same for the 500 and 750 except Engine Displacement .. But we will see .. But they had good luck with the 883 and 1200 on the same bike with 90% wishing had gone with 1200 to start ..

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Not even sure why they make a 500 if read the specs the frames and most else are the same for the 500 and 750 except Engine Displacement .. But we will see .. But they had good luck with the 883 and 1200 on the same bike with 90% wishing had gone with 1200 to start ..
I was listening to a marketing guy talk about tricks they use the other day. One of their old ones is to sell two products that are very similiar with one having more bells and whistles. They then set the price of the lesser object very near greater object. Almost always, humans will buy the greater object thinking the are getting a lot more for their money. Fact is, the mfgs are cleaning up on low cost, high margin bells and whistles.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I think the intent has to be to get younger people attached to the HD name at an earlier age. They've chosen technology that will be akin to the Asian bikes in regards to maintenance, ride-ability, dependability and cost. The market share of the larger beasts has been dwindling while the mid-sized multipurpose bike manufacturers have seen sales increases on their mid-size models. Past management wanting to hang on to the good-ole days has been a recurring problem. Competition has driven all of HD major changes over the years and dragged them screaming into the 20th century. (are there any Davidson's with any power left?)

They have made some smaller bikes over the years but it wasn't managed well. Expanding their lineup in the Asian market is a very good move on their part but in my opinion is about 50 years late. I think these bikes may be a bit big for mass sales in those locations as well.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
I think my son and his friends are the target audience for these... The former skateboarders with their skinny-jeans, tattoos, and chain wallets who have discovered cars and bikes now. The blacked out treatment, Sons of Anarchy styling, and of course the bar and shield badge will have them feeling like badasses for sure. The young girls will be all aflutter, "He has a Harley!".

The best thing is that Sportster owners will now have someone to make fun of... no longer at the bottom of the food chain.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I hope they sell a lot of them, the more kids on motorcycles the less in cars texting on their phones. If I was a youngster I think I would still rather have a Sportster though or a smaller cc Triumph.

Here's a couple of pics of my 16 yr old daughter on her Sportster. I know no one cares but I'm to proud of her not to sharethumb up

Attachments

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Yes there will always be the crowd that buys the bikes "cuz it's a Harley". That certainly won't make the sales numbers to save the company on it's own though. Kids today are pretty smart and unless mommy is buying the bike for them, they will spend their own money where they find they are getting the best value. Smart money will go with the least hassle which if things continue as is, will be with the "metrics".

·
Registered
336 Posts
I think bringing younger U.S. riders into the fold is a bonus for Harley, but not the intention of these bikes. They needed smaller, more maneuverable bikes for foreign markets. A Road King in India makes little sense.

As most of you know, the U.S. is probably one of the few places where we brag about what hardcore bikers we are and then watch 99% of motorcycle owners put their bikes away when it rains or gets below 60 degrees. In many other parts of the world, these new bikes will be seen as a step up from the tens of thousands of 125s on the streets.....in other words, Harley is doing what they do best, developing a status symbol. (And new areas to market t shirts)

·
Registered
282 Posts
I hope they sell a lot of them, the more kids on motorcycles the less in cars texting on their phones. If I was a youngster I think I would still rather have a Sportster though or a smaller cc Triumph.

Here's a couple of pics of my 16 yr old daughter on her Sportster. I know no one cares but I'm to proud of her not to sharethumb up
It's great your daughter rides a Sportster, nice you could go for rides with her.

What does she think of the new Harleys? As they are obviously targeted for newer and younger riders.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Super Moderator
5,060 Posts
I hope they sell millions of them.

Like all the same repetitive threads here on a Victory forum about these bikes.

·
Registered
236 Posts
She's not like most kids when it comes to tastes in motorcycles. She already wants a bagger, that's not suppose to happen until 40 lol.

she's gone from a 150cc scooter to a 250cc Virago to a Sportster 1200 Low in a year and a half. She wants my TC but I'm not in a position to get my Cross Country just yet so were looking into making a little mini bagger out of her Sportster, just haven't found a fairing that looks right on a Sportster.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
There is nothing at all wrong with a Sporty. Let her enjoy her ride and suggest that she needs to learn to wait for some things. I know it won't work but it really is something she needs to learn, unless you are one of the Rockefellers.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Another bike with the Revolution engine. Roughly half the size of the V Rod motor. It could be interesting to ride. I don't know how it will be accepted though. It's going to need to be revved a lot more than traditional TC Air Cooled or even the current V Rod to get power.

Honestly, I think it is a good idea. It seems to me that the MC is trying to slowly integrate a "new" and technology into the mainstream.
Red line is 7000 - 8000 RPM's

·
Registered
659 Posts
http://rideapart.com/2013/11/2014-harley-davidson-street-750-and-street-500-official-photos/

Smaller than expected, water cooled, and made in India. Will wonders ever cease?
First thought on Harleys release of the 500cc and 750cc models… Interesting.

I have owned a few bikes in the sub 1000cc cruiser segment… it is very, very competitive. Every manufacturer I can think of (except Victory and Indian) is now represented with at least one model. These new Harley models will be in direct competition with tried and true Honda, Kawasaki, and Yamaha models. A little Harley for the price of a little Honda??? Hmmm. Bigger is better in the US though, so I don’t know if they will sell many here.

Actually, I don’t think these new models are targeting the US market anyway. Only released here to squeeze every dime out of the engineering effort. What I see is Harley going truly global, from both a manufacturing and MARKETING perspective. Previous models are/were low tech land yachts which most definitely lack mass appeal in third world markets. These new bikes were designed for the third world market. Still, I see Harley having a hard time in Asia. Even if Harley’s bikes were flawless… they are playing in the Big Three’s back yard. Ford is making gains against Honda and Toyota… so maybe Harley can too??? It should be interesting to see how it plays out.

I also agree that Victory needs a starter bike their lineup. They are losing sales and potential lifetime customers every day. I hope Vic can get on the stick quick… and come up with a rock solid bike to really compete in the sub 1000CC segment.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 21 Posts