318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Such as? I see no similarities.

TWENTY SEVEN THOUSAND DOLLARS
They are drag bikes and are styled to appeal to muscle bike admirers from my perspective. There are several articles comparing performances. Look at the Harley, the display of the rear tire in fact the new 2014s come stock with side license plate holders to better display the rear tires. The bars are forward on both so you are stretched out on the bike forward, fat front tire and stretched out bike look from front tire to rear tire. Perhaps my observations only but I hadn't seen this model Harley before and it has the same draw to me as does the Hammer. They apparently changed the 103 to 110 sometime within the same model year from what I can tell and the newer 110's have a saddle that can be wrapped to act as a single saddle...again like the hidden passenger saddle on the Hammer.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Is it me or does this bike have some Hammer similarities? I must say that I might just have to go see one in person. ii0 CI 240 rear tire 130 front, 24 inch high seat. Not crazy about the color in this add. Interesting that it has a chain drive.
Rest assured this bike is belt drive. Just like every HD.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Still not very interesting.....Same old ugly gas tank as every other Harley. I like sweeping sexy lines and Victory has that down. Harleys are just too boxy looking for my taste. I'll take my good ole Hammer any day over anything else....oh that's right I did. Went and got just what I wanted over any other bike when I got her!

·
Registered
214 Posts
I agree. The H-D bikes look mostly the same minus a few changes here or there. Even the new Indians were able to pull off retro with some cooler styling. I personally don't want to buy a bike that looks roughly the same as something they pumped out 30+ years ago. Not to mention the CVO motors do nothing to excite me either. Stick with the Hammer or Jackpot if you want a fat tire bike (or even the Yamaha Raider-113ci motor).

·
Registered
209 Posts
I know, I know, probably don't care. V-Rod, not the standard old looking Harley. 240 rear tire, over head cam motor. Fuel mounted low, very fast. Good top end. Not a copy of anything, been out since 2002.
Breakout 103 or 110, slow and old design. Bigger motors aren't always better. Buy what you want & enjoy it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I know, I know, probably don't care. V-Rod, not the standard old looking Harley. 240 rear tire, over head cam motor. Fuel mounted low, very fast. Good top end. Not a copy of anything, been out since 2002.
Breakout 103 or 110, slow and old design. Bigger motors aren't always better. Buy what you want & enjoy it.
I think the VRod is the only Harley I ever looked at and enjoyed because it was truely different looking. Ergonomics of it didn't work for me but it was a nice change of pace. Porsche assisting with the motor design was a positive sign too.

·
Registered
396 Posts
closer resemblance to the jackpot to me but $27 large,geeez no thank you!:crzy:

·
Registered
90 Posts
First off, that thing is way uglier than a hammer. If they were trying to copy looks, they missed by a mile.

Secondly, there are only so many different variations to a motorcycle. I think it's less that HD copied the hammer in making a muscle bike than HD came out with a muscle bike and it happens to be in the same category as the hammer and a direct competitor.

·
Registered
317 Posts
When I was bike shopping for a new used bike I had gotten down to the top 3.....Vrod, M109R and a Hammer. came down to the 9 or the Hammer. Hammer it was.

·
Registered
504 Posts
The CVR...

The SSR...

are both good looking "Bobber" style softail models of something that has already been done by HD.

Thats where the premise of my XR-Hammer came from ...!

I think this is as close as you can get to an XR/XC being BOBBED!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
First off, that thing is way uglier than a hammer. If they were trying to copy looks, they missed by a mile.

Secondly, there are only so many different variations to a motorcycle. I think it's less that HD copied the hammer in making a muscle bike than HD came out with a muscle bike and it happens to be in the same category as the hammer and a direct competitor.
"Way uglier than a Hammer"????? How did comparing them to one another as drag bikes lead to a conclusion that the Hammer is ugly? However, to each his own and if you feel that a Hammer is ugly, I should respect that because I certainly don't understand the aesthetics of the Vision. I do respectfully disagree that the Hammer is ugly.

I do agree with your second point somewhat in that both companies are looking to replicate a certain drag bike look and feel. I like the looks of both, but one or more posters accurately point out that regardless of the fact of the 110, it is still a Harley motor and displacement clearly does not always equate to HP or performance.

Attachments

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
When I was bike shopping for a new used bike I had gotten down to the top 3.....Vrod, M109R and a Hammer. came down to the 9 or the Hammer. Hammer it was.
Me too archaicguy. Those were clearly the 3 I was looking at as well. Liked the M109, faster than snot running down a ski slope and have found Suzuki to be a great and reliable bikes, as I had an M50 which was bullet proof. However it was simply too high and not as well balanced as the V Rod and the Hammer. I liked the V-Rod pretty much on all factors except that it was a Harley and for good or bad I really just didn't want to have a "cult" bike. Had I bought one, I would have de badged it. The Hammer was just like what Goldie Locks must have felt when she ate and slept in what was baby bears stuff. It was just right.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I'm infatuated with the looks of this one:

v-rod-night-rod-special-still-the-best-looking-harley-in-2014-photo-gallery-66475-7.jpg

Unfortunately, I keep reading about it scalding people and I recall a red hot leg after demoing one a few years back myself. They have set the bars/pegs back and the seat forward since then and it seems like I could ride comfortably without my leg resting on the pipe now, but I really need a fresh demo.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts