Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey people,
My friend who rides a 2009 Harley ultra classic ,claims that he can get 297.6 miles on 6 gallons of fuel rideing 2 up on the highway. My XCT can only do 180 miles with 5.8 gallons riding 2 up on the highway. Can he be correct or is he trying to pull the wool over my eyes????wac

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
If that was someone I knew telling me that, I would politely reply, That's nice and go about whatever I was doing and not get concerned. I once read that the cheapest and easiest way to improve gas mileage is to lie about it. Tell him you get 63 mpg.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Don't know about your friends Harley, but my 2011 XC with Stage 1 consistently gets mid 50's riding 2up on the highway. I have verified this with my gps and gallons I put in the tank, not just the computer readout.cheers

Several factors in fuel economy, not the least of which is your right hand LOL.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Speed?

What speed was that optained at? I got 63mpg out of my Triumph one time. The catch was I never took it over 60mph that whole tank of gas! Now that is pretty hard to do, never done it again since.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
What speed was that optained at? I got 63mpg out of my Triumph one time. The catch was I never took it over 60mph that whole tank of gas! Now that is pretty hard to do, never done it again since.
That's the key right there, trouble is I never do that .. Why I get shitty gas mileage .. :)

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Don't know about your friends Harley, but my 2011 XC with Stage 1 consistently gets mid 50's riding 2up on the highway. I have verified this with my gps and gallons I put in the tank, not just the computer readout.cheers

Several factors in fuel economy, not the least of which is your right hand LOL.
All I know is that I had to fill up with 87 this last time because it was the only octane carried at the store (Marathon on 134 in Lynchburg south of Wilmington). After having had my engine knock terribly on low octane I was not pleased, but didn't want to press my luck as their isn't a lot out that way. Anyway, my mileage went from 47 mpg using Shell 91 to 36 mpg using the low octane Marathon fuel.

It's now got Shell 91 in it again...thumb up

·
Registered
263 Posts
I had an 08 HD Ultra that got a bit worse gas mileage than my 12 XCT. But, on either one riding two up on the interstate 50 mpg was doable but couldn't exceed 55 mph.

·
Registered
218 Posts
It may be possible if all favorable conditions are present at the same time: 55-60 mph max, very lean running engine , no winds, entire tank of gas burned on the highway, low windshield, no uphills. I'd still be skeptical until/unless I witnessed it firsthand.

·
Registered
33 Posts
hd gas milage

well I just got back from a 2500 mile trip 4 of my buddies where riding Hd's 2013 road king 09 ultra classic 08 ultra classic and 06 ultra. I had my 12 cc all riding two up and bags loaded tru the whole trip the fuel milage was so close on all 5 bikes when we filled there may have been .2 tenths difference and it veried who received thebes milage.

·
Super Moderator
6,374 Posts
well I just got back from a 2500 mile trip 4 of my buddies where riding Hd's 2013 road king 09 ultra classic 08 ultra classic and 06 ultra. I had my 12 cc all riding two up and bags loaded tru the whole trip the fuel milage was so close on all 5 bikes when we filled there may have been .2 tenths difference and it veried who received thebes milage.
I looked very quickly at "12 cc" and thought you had a _very_ small engine :)

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Hey people,
My friend who rides a 2009 Harley ultra classic ,claims that he can get 297.6 miles on 6 gallons of fuel rideing 2 up on the highway. My XCT can only do 180 miles with 5.8 gallons riding 2 up on the highway. Can he be correct or is he trying to pull the wool over my eyes????wac
How are you telling that you can only get 180 miles on 5.8? Thats bone dry in the tank. You cant go by the readout on the dash, ride it and figure it out.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
13,641 Posts
An easy way to get another 40-50 miles out of a tank of gas is to carefully fill it to the top just before it starts flowing out the overflow. You can only do this if you plan on riding another 20 miles or so before stopping because the gas can expand on hot days and overflow leaving a puddle of gas under your bike. No need to ask how I know.:D

Some folks drill a hole in the right side of the inside sleeve of the filler tube so air can escape while filling up to the top. Care should be taken when doing this of course.

Harley's like every other road vehicle are tuned to the absolute leanest it can be. I had a Softail that routinely got 50+ mpg if I kept it under 65 mph. They run super hot in hot weather when tuned like that though.

·
13,177 Posts
Hey people,
Go for a side by side ride with him and you'll find out he has a lot of BS in his tank.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Go for a side by side ride with him and you'll find out he has a lot of BS in his tank.
+1 on that. If this is important to you (it shouldn't be) the two of you start a longish ride with full tanks and at the end, fill up. He who takes the least gas wins. Whoopee! That and $2.25 gets you a cup of coffee. :crzy:

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
VJ comes through with a shining pearl of wisdom there. Get him to make a 300-mile ride with you, and you'll know.

I've cracked 50 mpg on the XR a few times. Best ever was 54 mpg coming down the mountains out of Yellowstone at 45 MPH in 5th gear. Basically coasting the whole way. Otherwise I can count on 43-45 mpg with the occasional spike to 47, dependent on riding conditions.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Rigth on RICZ. anyone with a big twin getting over 30 mpg ain't having no fun.
Had a Hayabusa once that got 12 mph at 185 mph.
To many variables, even the gas pumps aren't calabrated close enough to get a good reading. Did you get some of the last guys gas or is the next guy getting some of yours. (Hose management) matters with the small amounts we buy.( the gas hose)cheers

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have yet to hit 40mpg on my 2013 XCT, 5K miles. I don't know if my PC-V map is on the rich side, or what is going on. I do have the o2 sensors unplugged. The best was about 38mph yesterday while babying it the whole tank. Not really complaining, I didn't buy it for fuel economy but I seem to definitely be on the low side compared to others.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
mpg's

before the corn piss i averaged 60mpg easily on my 06 carbd 1200 sportster, now its mid 50's, solo riding locally up + down mountains twisty country roads conservative riding, using only 93 oct shell without + with corn piss later, at 100 lb or so more i would call it BULL! maybe DOWNHILL! a lot!!

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
My dearly departed brother would ride/drive in order to maximize gas mileage and I would ride/drive to maximize the fun factor. Whenever we rode together (which was difficult) he would chastise me for having to make more frequent gas stops, even though we had identical bikes. Having my fill of that, I ended his chipping at me by telling him its like we're going to the theater, but I see a much more exciting show than he's seeing, so the price of admission is higher. To this day, as I'm working the twisties in low gears, I often think of my brother and the show he missed seeing. RIP bro.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts