Discussion Starter #2
When you pull up to tech and the inspector says "You're kidding, right?"
Josh went 13.67

Doug's 11.401 FXR

Lone Victory in a sea of Harleys

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Mate HC, I do not know what the times stand for, but hope you smoked a few that day ..... sure a lot of fun hey ???

·
Super Moderator
5,035 Posts
Looks like you had a fun day.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mate HC, I do not know what the times stand for, but hope you smoked a few that day ..... sure a lot of fun hey ???
I did ok...

You want an explanation?

From the top down...
Ignore the "Dial". That only applies to bracket racing (another whole novel of typing).

"RT" is reaction time. How long it took you to move when the light went green. This is only important when you're racing against someone else and does not affect your times. Clock starts when you move and stops when you cross the finish line.

Next is your time to cover 60 feet, 330 feet and the 1/8 mile... along with the mph you were traveling at the 1/8 mile (half-track).
Then your time to cover 1000 feet.

Last is the 1/4 mile (1320 feet) time, referred to as ET or Elapsed time... and the MPH you were traveling at the finish line.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
So it is a few races in one, cool system,

Sorry to ask but doing that does it wear out your engine more / clutch / gearbox / oils / fork seals

I like it very much .... they do a lot of drag-racing here in Indonesia, but NO HD or Vic's

I have tried getting the front wheel off the ground but the wheel just spins, ha ha

·
Registered
57 Posts

Sorry to ask but doing that does it wear out your engine more / clutch / gearbox / oils / fork seals

I like it very much .... they do a lot of drag-racing here in Indonesia, but NO HD or Vic's

I have tried getting the front wheel off the ground but the wheel just spins, ha ha
Most engine wear happens during warm up. Thats why it is critical to let the engine run at low engine speeds until its within operating temperature. Now for your clutch the hardest part on it is going to be the launch. From what i've read, these drivetrains are pretty solid and even with some spirited riding the clutches still last along time (50-100k.) What will wear a clutch out faster than racing is having the clutch cable set incorrectly. As long as you perform the recommended prevenative maintenance on these bikes you should be fine for along time

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wonder how many thousands of dollars they had to spend to run 11s
I know my three trips to Lloydz cost me $11,000. I paid $10,583 for the bike. Best time 11.47

Doug's FXR has a 113" S&S engine, .640 cams, Mikuni 48mm carb/intake, and a Baker 6 speed. He paid $12,000 for that 22 year old Harley and put $11,000 in it. Best time 11.40

Rusty's Dyna was built from crap he had at the shop. Cams out of a blown motor (Wood's 777) and heads that were given to him. He did buy Revolution 98" cylinders and a HP Inc 51mm throttle body. He bought that '06 Dyna for $5000. Including the swingarm, shocks, forks, brakes, and all the power stuff he has around $11,500 total in the bike. Best time of 11.78

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

Honestly, there is a difference between the way I do it and abusing the bike. I race 'gently'. You could shorten the life of a lot of parts if you were abusive (Rev it way up and dump the clutch, speed shift, etc.

You ride it wide open for 12 seconds and then ride back to the start at 10 mph for a couple of minutes... so even at the races you run it hard a small percentage of the time.

It takes a lot of power to lever a heavy bike up in a wheelie. If the tire spins you probably have too much rpm. Get it rolling like 2000 rpm in 1st, give it a quick on-off-ON with the throttle. If you time the hit right, as the forks top out the front end will keep coming up...

The real trick is setting it down easy...

Oh, 90K miles on my bike now...

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts

Antics in the burnout section before the startline probably stress the bike more than the run.
When I ran mine I rode around the water and up to the start.
Timing wasn't operating the day we went out so we were getting flag starts and no times or win lights...

When I race my car I sometimes drive around the water and other times light it up in second gear to warm the tyres, but with street tyres as opposed to slicks or semi-slicks theres probably not much point.

Have a go, its fun!

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
I don't do a burnout. No point in it.
yeah HC , noticed you ride around the water on one vid, no point at all on street tyres, and a high probability of retaining water in the tread on the startline, further reducing traction when you nail it.
Great to see a Victory stickin it up the HD's on the track!

·
13,188 Posts
It doesn't matter how much you spend. What matters is you're having fun.
Yes some days you lose and some days you win. Be happy your getting the chance to do it.

Glad you had a Great Day H C

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
thanks for sharing your experience + being honest about the cost. you enjoy it + compare well to other bikes, racing a motorcycle well is not easy for sure!!

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
reaction times

I see all your reaction times start with a "0", thats pretty good. thumb up cheers

1 - 20 of 28 Posts