Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Loyal Harley rider, that is starting to look at Vitctory and Indian. So I figured time to hit the forums to start my research. Oh and reason Im considering non Harley, Just not sold yet on the new Harley and The huge price tag

·
Registered
780 Posts
Welcome. What type of bike are you leaning towards? Victory- while not perfect- builds a high quality, very reliable bike. Most owners do not experience any serious problems.

Mine did- the voltage regulator went out on it, but Victory and the dealer stepped up and fixed it PROMPTLY- so although I was pretty pissed when it happened- they took good care of it.

Major +'s:

Performance- a stock Vic will smoke a comparable Harley, and often a Harley with some performance upgrades, too. It doesn't take a lot of money or effort to put 100-115 ponies AND torque to the rear wheel.

Reliability

Modern design & components throughout. Suspension, chassis, powertrain..

Ease of basic maintenance- 1 fluid- oil- every 5 k.

Easy access to most adjustments and major maintenance- example: belt changes are super easy by comparison.

Minuses-

Hit or miss dealer network. Not as many, and a few of them just effing suck, too. I'm sure the Harely stores are the same- but the sheer numbers hide them better. Victory doesn't seem to be super invested in dealer development at times. Victory is typically one of many brands they sell, and the dealers' focus will gravitate to their better sellers. Wait times for accessories can be a joke. Parts usually have to be ordered, but remember my story from above. They WILL move their ASSES when needed.

Noisy tranny. My gear changes have gotten noisier and less smooth with time- not better. It's a normal trait of the brand. What can you say? It's a lot better than they were prior to a redesign that occurred in 2011 I think..

Clutch cables- you'll read a lot about busted cables with no apparent signs of wear. This SEEMS to be tied to the older bikes. I beleive the issue was corrected.

I have read about HD's paintwork being superior quality. That's probably fair. The baggers have lots of choice, but starting with 2015 the cruisers have an appalling lack of color.

Summary: Victory is a RIDER's machine. Built to be ridden hard and put up wet. Fire that bitch up and go. It turns heads everywhere you go, and almost everyone will nod their approval.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Yeppir. Judge is laying down truth.

You are starting in the middle and looking for the end. Ride one. Go to dealers and ride. Many will let you walk in with licence and go.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ride a Electra Glide, most of the time its full dress but I have it so I can strip it for solo also. I would be looking for a Cross Country if Vic. Plan to ride one soon. I rode one a couple of years ago, and tranny and the finish put me off. But wife and I do a lot of 2 up and if I decide to get a new bike will give Vic a serious look. I now have a local dealer that I would trust that has both the Victory and Indian. Indian would be a tougher sell to me I wish the new dresser was less nostalgic looking I hear good things about the motor and trans but not really into the big old fender look.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I'm with you on that one- Indian seems to be a fine machine, Polaris seems to have quieted the tranny, but I've never cared for those 80% coverage fenders. I know that's been their thing for decades, but..

And-I like a good retro / modern style. The Mustang is one of the best examples of how to show the best of old and new. This is one of my main attractions to my Judge. A thoroughly modern sledgehammer of a performer with a styling salute to a classic sledgehammer of a performer. I just always saw the Indian's as ever so slightly off the bullseye styling wise.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I ride a Electra Glide, most of the time its full dress but I have it so I can strip it for solo also. I would be looking for a Cross Country if Vic. Plan to ride one soon. I rode one a couple of years ago, and tranny and the finish put me off. But wife and I do a lot of 2 up and if I decide to get a new bike will give Vic a serious look. I now have a local dealer that I would trust that has both the Victory and Indian. Indian would be a tougher sell to me I wish the new dresser was less nostalgic looking I hear good things about the motor and trans but not really into the big old fender look.
If you test a Vic, don't ride it like a HD. What I mean is, dont shift at low speeds and don't lug the engine. I shift at @2800 rpm and don't have the clunky sounds that so many complain about. I talked to an old Harley mechanic and he told me that just because the engine WILL pull strong at low rpm it doesn't make it good for the engine.

As far as the finish goes, I'm not sure what you mean. My XC is 2 years old and sits under an awning at home and in the open everywhere else. The paint finish is great on mine. If you're referring to cable management I agree. If I ever change the bars on mine, the wires WILL be internal.

Good luck on your search. Buy what you want that will make you and your wife happy.

·
Premium Member
8,836 Posts
Ride em, should get a great deal on last years model,
Or just get the feel of what you like and buy private.
Either way ride em.

·
Registered
522 Posts
You can arrange to test ride a Victory of your choice right on the Victory web site. If I remember right I was able to select a dealer, day and time. You'll get a confirmation email and appointment.

Tech23

·
Registered
21 Posts
Switch

Tried to work with my local HD dealer(precision in RI) and got no where with a trade for my 04 custom so I traded up to XC best move yes trans are noisy but work good have all the power and more comfortable good luck and ride it hard👹

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
One Nice thing about Cross Country, with the Lock and Ride Feature the Trunk is very easily removable if don't want to run it all the time .. You Have better Power, Handling and Reliability with a Victory .. While not fond of The clunky Tranny have got used to it and seems Pretty Bulletproof after 35,000 Miles and not one complaint about the Cross Country other than the Useless Windshield that comes with it .. If go the Tour Model be better off as easier to take things off than add and a hell out a lot cheaper in the long run as well ..

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
If you test a Vic, don't ride it like a HD. What I mean is, dont shift at low speeds and don't lug the engine. I shift at @2800 rpm and don't have the clunky sounds that so many complain about. I talked to an old Harley mechanic and he told me that just because the engine WILL pull strong at low rpm it doesn't make it good for the engine.
Interesting. I tend to shift around 4500 rpm until I get up to about 70 mph, but I digress.

I have to admit I really like the Harley Low Rider. I went and demo'd one again yesterday and with an Airhawk on the seat it fits me really well. But the thing that stuck out in my mind this time on more city streets was how much it vibrates until it got up to ~3k rpm. On my last demo, it was out in the country where I could keep it there and it sounded great, felt great, and seemed to scoot along just fine. In the city it felt like sitting on a bowl of jello in an earthquake.

Since most of my riding is done out in the country, I figured I could make the most of it. Then came numbers time and it dawned on me that these guys must have the most math challenged customers ever.

My first cloo should have been that they put no stickers on their bikes. I told the wheeler dealer about a dealer in a nearby city offering 7% off MSRP, no freight, no prep, and a free first service. This clown comes back with an offer that is 10% over MSRP. I snickered a little and told him so. He said they sell at DSRP because they have the highest volumes in the area and people like them.

I asked him what DSRP was and he informed me that was "Dealer Suggested Retail Price."

I told him to have a nice day.

I then went home and got on my Vic and took my wife down to a new grille that opened out in the country for dinner. And I thought about soothing the vibes from the Vic are compared to the white noise vibration from the Harley at low rpm. And I thought about the experience of making a deal. And I realized, a Harley is probably never gonna be in the cards for me...

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Yeppir. Judge is laying down truth.

You are starting in the middle and looking for the end. Ride one. Go to dealers and ride. Many will let you walk in with licence and go.
You know Pop something just hit me on this when you posted this.
I have supported demo days at my dealer and one thing that continuously came up was someone showing up and riding one of the demo bikes minus the stage 1 and commenting on its performance or saying it was not as peppy as they expected. I think one of the biggest overlooked points of the Vic is $ per HP increase and how cheap and easy it is to over ride the government forced EPA. Simply sticking with stock stage 1 during demos the same riders were amazed. In addition we all know how easy it is to take it even further without tearing into the motor.

So, my point is go to the dealer and ride. However, ensure the shock is set for your weight, it's important to truly evaluate the handling, and try a stock bike compared to a stage 1 to evaluate the difference. Keep in mind the Stage 1 also meets current EPA regs so just imagine.....

Then if HP is your thing for pennies on the dollar in comparison you can pull some crazy torque and HP numbers. They are well documented here on the forums. I know I was a little disappointed when I rode my stock vision. My 04 TC pulled harder with a V92 but not today. Lol.

Good luck and looking forward to your follow ups.

Tim

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I don't know that I would expect HP tweaks in a floor model Tim but at a demo you would think that at least one or two Vics would be tricked so that riders could make comparisons. That is so at Harley trucks and when I bought my Gilroy Indian it was the only bike I ever bought new with a stage one because I rode both stock and stage 1 at the demo and was sold on the difference, especially since the stock airbox was an abomination. I still think the decision to buy should be made between the rider and the ride but that's because I am inclined to just disregard the dealer experience and make my judgements not only on what is happening but what my gut tells me is hidden under the federal regs and dealer prep or lack thereof. Many folks are not inclined to go deep. You are right. First impressions.

As far as SB's Low rider goes, it is not the bike that hustled Pop away from HD's dealerships. It is that salesman that is schooled to sell at or above sticker. It speaks to an understanding of the mentality of the base and a willingness to exploit that weakness. Fair enough, they are in it for the ducats. I remember in the 90's getting a deal on a new Harley. The deal was the owner of the shop and I were members of the same antique club so I didn't have to get in the lottery. People were putting down 5 Bens to take a number. If it came up they got a shot at paying whatever the dealer wanted for whatever bike was available. Don't like that bike or that price? Thanks for the fiver. Care to try again? Man you got to admire the balls.

I bought that bike for sticker and I bought one more new Harley in the new century but I couldn't scrub hard enough to get the stink of those deals off of me so that was it with Pop and Harleys dealer network.

You might think a company with well over a hundred years of sales would value strategic planning and customer satisfaction. They appear to value tactical planning instead. Increase your margin by inflating the cost and then finding willing rubes to feed kitty. Cash rolls in at the expense of the quality of your core with economically invested but vacant masses. Oh well, there's plenty of choices for those that can thimk and there's a burgeoning used market due to the ADHD of the Ritalin generations.

This is what happens when car dealers buy up motorcycle franchises. Parquet floors, greeters and the celebration of stupid prices and other stupids.

If you want a Low Rider SB get one. Good bike and they are out there, late models too. You may have to forego the dealer experience, parquet floors and self aggrandizement, but the money saved will pprobably make up for it.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Yea Pop I am talking stock upgrades which are still affordable. For those that want to stay away frome some of the more aggressive mods. I was shocked that at all 3 demos, there was uncertainty which bikes had what mods. One ugh that did buy may not have if I hadn't talked him into another ride on a HB that had a stage 1. He wanted a XCT but told him to ride the HB and check out what a stage 1 could and if he wanted to do more he could. Post ride he was all smiles. That's all I'm tryin to point out to the OP. Now if he wanted to go big we know what kind of numbers he can get without a bigbore. Lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts