Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Just got back from a 200 mile charity ride and had the strangest comment that I have ever heard about my Victory....and yes, it came from a Harley rider.....I let him try my bike...well, when he came back he told me it was "nice" but he really didn't like the ride......I asked why...? Now get this....He told me that it rode too smoothly.....Now if that doesn't get it all......LOL....Maybe someone could tell me what that means......I wonder if the guys boss gives him a raise...would he say no thanks that's too much money.......:crzy:

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
He's right. It's also too reliable. You don't enjoy wrenching on it as much as you would with a Harlee. :ltr:

·
Registered
690 Posts
Well, I say (being a Harley guy) that there are morons in every area of life . And just because that particular moron happened to ride a HD, certainly does not make us all stupid knuckle draggers . I know plenty of guys who ride Yamahas, and Hondas who have the same mentality .
cheers

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
I had a guy explain that smooth thing to me. He told me that all the vibration that HD's have, give them soul.

I think I remember KevinX saying once that Victory made sure the engines had some vibration to give them soul.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I had a guy explain that smooth thing to me. He told me that all the vibration that HD's have, give them soul.

I think I remember KevinX saying once that Victory made sure the engines had some vibration to give them soul.
They talk about the dialing in vibration to the motor in the book, The Making of Victory by Mike Dapper.

To be honest my sole complait about the Vision is that it is to competant, and just not raw feeling enough. So I understand hoe the HD guy felt

·
Registered
436 Posts
What struck me most about this post is that you let some Harley dude ride your bike! I will let close friends ride my machine, that's it - there is nothing to be gained and plenty to be lost...they drop it, they will want your insurance to cover it....etc

In most cases people are always trying to confirm there decisions on what they purchased, esp Harley owners. The iconic name HD closes many folks mind/decision process - it is a strong community....and has a strong following.
Smooth, reliable and quick is all good with me tho - thumb up

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I say (being a Harley guy) that there are morons in every area of life . And just because that particular moron happened to ride a HD, certainly does not make us all stupid knuckle draggers . I know plenty of guys who ride Yamahas, and Hondas who have the same mentality .
cheers
Aren't all Bikers "Knuckle Draggers"...? :ltr:

·
Registered
336 Posts
The issuse is, its what is expected. A Harley rider sees a motorcycle that everyone keeps telling him is an "American" made ride, that it is years ahead of HD in technology and has a stronger faster motor. Then he gets on it and it sing like a sewing machine and is smooth as silk.

I hear this all the time after letting people ride mine. "No way its faster than my bike" that is until we go WOT at the next light and he is behind me. The vics are misleading due to them being so smooth. They expect this bike to react and feel like a big bore HD or S&S and it does not.

The suspension is also misleading. People do not relize how fast they can go into corners with the vic...

You also here this from guys who ride Triumph Rockets and Goldwings. They are smooth as silk all they way through the gears and powerband. You look down at the speedo and relize you are going way FASTER then you thought you were.

Does that mean the bike has not sole... thats the riders opinion but I say to smooth can lead to that feeling. I had a guy on a goldwing tell me that it felt like he was riding an electric bike and that he could hardly tell it was running. Some people like that.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Being a Harley rider, at least until Thursday when I take deliver of a 2011 White Silver XC, I can understand his comment.

The XC is a much better bike, in all categories, but its hard to admit when you've had "Harley Brain Washing". He probably has too many T-shirts to start over.

I would have bought last year if I had been able to get more in trade for the Harley, but the Vic dealers cant give much. Understandable since they'd be putting a lower performing bike on the lot.

I think Victory could put a bigger dent in the HD world if they could be competitive on trade value.

Just my .02

I am fortunately now able to buy the XC then sell off the Harley Ultra Classic. :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
The Harley Guys

This is my first spring with a Victory, an XC, and I've come across three different Harley Riders who were outright hostile to my bike. When I had a Kawasaki, they ignored me, but 3 times now I've had Harley guys give me attitude.

The first time it was an older guy with a Street Glide, he asked me why I didn't save more money and get a real bike. I was too shocked for a good comeback.

Second time, driving down the street and a guy on a V-Rod pulled up beside me and started laughing, and revving his engine- I was still in break in mode and just let him take off on me. It pissed me off.

The third one was the best. I was picking up some beer, and in the parking lot there were two Harley guys with grimy softtails who asked my why I bought a girls bike. I told them that all of the a-holes bought Harleys. I might have gotten into a fight if my friends were not with me (and yes, I probably would have lost I'm not a good fighter at all).

It is funny, though, because when I had my Vulcan, they said nothing. It seems to me that there are some Harley guys that feel threatened by the Victory brand. That being said, the two biggest fans of my bike are Harley guys, and one might be switching.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Very few of them would wave to me when on was on my Versys, now that I have my Vic more of them wave, but not all. Ithink it's a shame that the mentality of Harley or nothing is there---it's supposed to be about the love of being on two wheels and enjoying the wind blowing past you as you ride regardless of the manufacturer.
I chuckle now, cause I find not all the sport bikes will wave back, I'm guessing because that is what they are used to. I wave at all on two wheels and will continue.i even waved at a Highway Patrol on a bike yesterday, yes, he waved back.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Very few of them would wave to me when on was on my Versys, now that I have my Vic more of them wave, but not all. Ithink it's a shame that the mentality of Harley or nothing is there---it's supposed to be about the love of being on two wheels and enjoying the wind blowing past you as you ride regardless of the manufacturer.
I chuckle now, cause I find not all the sport bikes will wave back, I'm guessing because that is what they are used to. I wave at all on two wheels and will continue.i even waved at a Highway Patrol on a bike yesterday, yes, he waved back.
Still a sport biker here. Some seem to try not make eye contact and not wave. Then along comes the biggest burliest long haired dude on a harley and he waves at me. So I just wave to them all. :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
The Wave

I, too, tend to wave whenever I can - it is kinda hard when you are starting off. The thing is, after taking out a 2006 Ninja 1000, I can see why sportbike riders do not wave. Those things are crazy. Fun, but crazy.

I find that on the highway, more wave than do not. Its only when I have stopped that I've had some problems with Harley guys.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have never had a problem with any other biker weather they ride hd or any other brand. the people that open their mouths is the non riders you know the type the loud mouths who think they now everything about anything. Life is to short for me to waste my time with them, I just laugh at them as I am walking away. Most riders just enjoy talking motorcycles. I know I do.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Just tell them:
"I would rather RIDE a Vicotry, than PUSH a Harley" :D

·
Registered
154 Posts
Someone posted something on here a while back and I've adopted it. I do a wave but t'is a V. Some think it is "peace", but we all know it is for VICTORY.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just tell them:
"I would rather RIDE a Vicotry, than PUSH a Harley" :D
I like my little phrase..." I would rather have a sister in a whore house than to find out I have a brother on a Harley." :ltr:

·
Registered
183 Posts

The first time it was an older guy with a Street Glide, he asked me why I didn't save more money and get a real bike.
QUOTE]

You should of told him you had enough but you took his ol syphilated mother out and banged her.:D

·
Registered
436 Posts
Heard a new one today -- older guy glances over at my XR and says "oh, look a Chech republic Harley" - that actually was kind of funny (MInn. being so cold and all) - He did'nt know the bike was mine, sitting right there on the porch - I asked him what he rode? He replies that he had a Triumph years ago! But followed up that he has several friends that have Harleys -
I stole someones phrase from this thread..and said well, tell your friends to stay away - that there is a Harley killer! He laughed and said "it probably would"... All in good humor - most of this crap is muscle flexing and not really a put down. I know I made the right decision buying this machine and look forward to many years on her cheers

·
Registered
183 Posts
I pulled into a bar Sunday thats wall to wall Harleys. One guy walked straight up to the bike before I could get my helmet off and started asking questions. Asked me how I liked it, how it ran and a few other questions, and had a genuine concern about the bike. I've been there on my Road Glide before and wasn't spoken to by the time I got to the door. I was spoken to 3 times before I got to the door which suprised me. Coincidental or not thats waht happened and one guy asked me come to bike night tomorrow night in another town about 30 miles away.

You going to have the HD guys who aren't the least bit interested because it doesn't have HD on it and thats a shame. A closed mind is a wonderful thing to waste.:D Hell if I had a closed mind I'd still be riding the Road Glide and I've been riding HDs for 28 years. Love the Vic.

1 - 20 of 136 Posts