Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I joined to look at some pics and get to know more about Victory's. I also wanted you to know I was impressed with the Jackpot I rode today. Seriously thinking about making that one my new bike.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the reply. Great looking bike! I like the blacked out look. Can I buy it that way?

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Oh no!!! I've put a lot of time, parts and powdercoating into that look! lol

The 8ball is all blacked out but you don't get the wide tire.

When I bought my Jackpot I knew I wouldn't have a hard time selling or trading the chrome pieces. The good thing is a lot of the parts off of the 8ball will interchange without modification on a Jackpot.

·
Registered
116 Posts
i have to say diamonds jp is sweet but i dont think they make a ugly jp :) i love them all.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It took almost two years. I bought a Victory Cross Country Tour. I love it. Yesterday I went for a nice ride with the temps down in the 40's. I am half way to the 500 mile service now. This bike is so much more enjoyable than my Harley Road Glide!

Before I bought it sitting on the dealers floor.

Out on my first 100 plus mile ride.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Good to see you back and to see that you let the Victory bug bite you! If you get a chance please take a little time to explain what prompted the change from RG to XCT. It would be nice to see this type of review from a very recent HD owner turned Vic owner.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good to see you back and to see that you let the Victory bug bite you! If you get a chance please take a little time to explain what prompted the change from RG to XCT. It would be nice to see this type of review from a very recent HD owner turned Vic owner.

Thank you. For several months I have been researching a replacement for my Road Glide. I was planning on another Harley. I also thought about having my Road Glide painted another color and adding more comfort type accessories. A few weeks ago I had a day off and stopped at the Victory dealer. I looked around and sat on a few bikes. I wasn't serious about buying anything but told the salesman what I had to trade in. He made me a offer that worked for me. I went on a test ride with the Cross Country. I thought it was a much better bike than my Harley in every catigory except the Harley sound. I didn't buy it that day. I researched the resale value of Victory bikes. The resale value doesn't seem to be anywhere near Harley. I was still looking at buying another Harley but that test ride was stuck in my head. It seemed to me that the Victory Cross Country Tour was a complete package. My experience with Harley is that things need to be changed to make it comfortable for me. The Victory fit as is. I also like the reviews I read about maintenance. I am a mechanic and after work the last thing I want to do is work on my own stuff. My Harley wasn't a bad bike but it had enough things that needed attention beyond the normal which influenced my choice. I hope my Victory will be bullet proof and time will tell. I also felt the Harley experience is more about culture and I think the Victory is more of a riders bike. I never thought of myself as a Harley guy but just a guy who rode a Harley. Now I'm a guy who rides a Victory. I miss the Harley sound but the Victory makes its own sound and it's growing on me.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Welcome to the Victory family!

I had an Ultra Classic, was looking at the Ultra Limited, then I rode a Cross Country. A couple months after test riding one, I rode one home.

Happy Riding! cheers

·
Registered
135 Posts
Thank you. For several months I have been researching a replacement for my Road Glide. I was planning on another Harley. I also thought about having my Road Glide painted another color and adding more comfort type accessories. A few weeks ago I had a day off and stopped at the Victory dealer. I looked around and sat on a few bikes. I wasn't serious about buying anything but told the salesman what I had to trade in. He made me a offer that worked for me. I went on a test ride with the Cross Country. I thought it was a much better bike than my Harley in every catigory except the Harley sound. I didn't buy it that day. I researched the resale value of Victory bikes. The resale value doesn't seem to be anywhere near Harley. I was still looking at buying another Harley but that test ride was stuck in my head. It seemed to me that the Victory Cross Country Tour was a complete package. My experience with Harley is that things need to be changed to make it comfortable for me. The Victory fit as is. I also like the reviews I read about maintenance. I am a mechanic and after work the last thing I want to do is work on my own stuff. My Harley wasn't a bad bike but it had enough things that needed attention beyond the normal which influenced my choice. I hope my Victory will be bullet proof and time will tell. I also felt the Harley experience is more about culture and I think the Victory is more of a riders bike. I never thought of myself as a Harley guy but just a guy who rode a Harley. Now I'm a guy who rides a Victory. I miss the Harley sound but the Victory makes its own sound and it's growing on me.
sold my 09 rg to my neighbor and bought a new triumph storm. engine was bad ass and i rode triumphs many, many years ago and loved th nostalga. however, it was not made for long distance riding + i thought i looked too big on it. took it in for some minor service @ only 5 months old and saw a new cross roads le. wifey told me i had to buy it and, you know, after 35+ years of wedded bliss i do what she tells me. i'm like you in the fact I never considered my self a harley rider but a rider that got caught up in the hd culture. don't get me wrong, they are all great people which love to ride. just too much money for what you get imho....ride safe

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Henryk,
Thank you for posting your purpose for buying. There are a lot of people that are on the line (should I / shouldn't I) and I suspect the culture is one of the biggest deterences. Your info should help some of those people cross that line.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

My wife went on the first ride today. We were about 100 miles into the ride. This is about the time when she would normally be telling me it's time to turn around and go home. She tells me to go somewhere thats another 45 minutes away. That put a big smile on my face. She couldn't see it but the more I thought about it the bigger my smile got. I think this bike was a home run. I need my first 500 mile service now.

ammo umb I was an Airman back in the days of SAC. I was a KC 135 electro- environmental systems technician. I wish I would have stayed in. Those were some good days.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Henryk even though your service was limited it was still service and I thank you! It's been a lot tougher for people to stay in long enough to retire for the last 10-12 years and just as hard for supervision to convince people to stay in. Between manning cuts, constant deployments and broken promises I can't blaim anyone for wanting out.

Glad to hear the wife is happy with the new bike; I see a lot of longer than normal trips in your future! That's how it worked out for me too and now any time it's 70 or above I can pretty much bet that she's ready to ride every evening after work.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Henry,
Congrats on the bike and a happy wife. I converted from a Road King a couple of years ago. My main reason for changing was reliability. I had constant issues with that bike, that always stuck in my head enough to keep me from taking off on a long roadie.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Congrats! I've had my Jackpot since June of last year and I swear its the best bike I've touched in ages. They really make a nice product. We will be adding a touring bike within a few years ourselves for the longer rides.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I went for a little ride tonight. The odometer rolled over the 500 mark. I bought the $57.00 oil change kit from the dealer.Should I give the dealer the first oil change like they recommend? I am a 25 year ase master mechanic and think I can handle the first service?? I will go through the check sheet in the owners manual. Does any one think that will void my warranty?

http://p.twimg.com/An6GTxPCMAAm-P7.jpg:large

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
You were doing Soooo good and then we find out you didn't negotiate first service!!! No sweat, not many do but in you case it may be someone else's fault because most people are told to get it in writing when they come on here and say they're bike shopping.

IMHO I would let them do the first service but bring in the oil so they don't overcharge you for their oil. I say do it because they're also going to go over the bike and make adjustment.

One more thing you should do ostensibly get them to throw some dyna beads in your tires and pull the weights off. The beads will balance the tires and give you a smoother ride with longer tire life.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I went for a little ride tonight. The odometer rolled over the 500 mark. I bought the $57.00 oil change kit from the dealer.Should I give the dealer the first oil change like they recommend? I am a 25 year ase master mechanic and think I can handle the first service?? I will go through the check sheet in the owners manual. Does any one think that will void my warranty?
When I picked up my bike I asked about bringing it in to them for the first change, their reply was, "well, if you really feel the need to give us money....." As for the warranty, they said that as long as I buy the oil change kit and keep the receipts to show the dates purchased, I would not have a problem with any warranty claims.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts