Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Not a surprise they aren't connecting with young buyers and it's killing them.

I happen to think that the pressure from Victory and others will actually lead to better products all around much as Android has made Apple better. I think you can see that in the Rushmore project and the fact that Harley currently has the better tech package on their bikes compared to Victory.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Using the data in this report for the 1st quarter of 2015, HD sold 88,931 bikes worldwide for a net income (profit) of $299.8 million. This is an average profit of 3371 per bike. Of course, some bikes have higher profit than others but you can't get that level of detailed info from the HD report.

Using a VERY rough estimate of an average selling price of $20,000 per bike, their average profit margin per bike is 3371/20,000 = 16.9%. This is not really all that high when compared to many businesses but perhaps it is good for a vehicle company. I don't know those type companies very well.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Last numbers I saw show motorcycle sales increasing....HD is missing the boat simply because there are better bikes, at lesser costs available. and..Yes the generations of HD die-hards are dieing off or getting to their last purchases at least.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Interestingly, HD stock was up almost 5% yesterday. I guess the investors bought the CEO's rosy outlook for the second half of the year.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I've wanted one but simply have not been able to afford one.

You go to a theme park with your family and have to pay through the nose just for something to drink... they've got you! This is what ticks me off about HD knowing that it is THE brand you are paying for and a real life comparison of their bike to another does not compute.

So, when I decided that I finally wanted to begin riding, I did my homework and learned that at around $4500, I could get an excellent used motorcycle of almost any brand. This Vegas is #5 and so far I find that dill came out smelling like a rose with his deal. (get it! dill/deal LOL!) :D

There ain't a HD I could have purchased for the $4500/Vegas that could compare. Am I boasting? I reckon! :)

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Yeah WSJ says they didn't meet analysts targets but they hit the per share profit so screw the analysts. This paint thing is typical autospeam.

Well, harumph, we put a new system in place to increase our unit cost return but
although we did see significant gobbledy gook the manufacturing impact from the repeated frabjous day callou callay has meant that our ability to smoke Cuban cigars is due as much to outsourcing as it is to improved import conditions. We are pleased to report though that we are still friggin rolling in high cotton.

·
Registered
131 Posts
HD has not kept up with the competition. They are selling old mechanical technology with a few cheap electric gadgets.

In the last few years I have ready tons of comparison articles that include Yamaha, Victory, Indian, Honda and of course HD.

I was mostly interested in the baggers/dressed tour bikes. One thing kept showing up in every article, when trying to point out and compare the goods/bads, every article kept claiming "nostalgia" or 'its just a Harley" as a plus....All the while listing the positive features of the bike being compared to.

Thats a great way of saying, its expensive because of the name.

I like a harley because its a motorcycle, but I cannot warrant the price for what I am getting. Looks like I am not alone either.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I think Harley doesn't make all that much off of its bikes, but off all the memorabilia.

T-shirts, hats, jackets, and chrome do-dads.

Increased competition from Indian doesn't help either. But Harley also needs to look into other technology than V-twins. Inline fours, and maybe even a sport bike, which young people still really like.

Another thing is they haven't changed their looks off of their bikes all that much. Project Rushmore didn't do enough to be revolutionary to get more market share.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts