Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering making the switch from the harley Road King I have now to Cross Country Tour. Is there anything of special intrest I should know about the Victory compared to the Harley. I see that servicing them seems to be much easier( 1 drain plug). Although oil seems to be a hot topic, 20w40 not easy to come by. Any insight to the reliability and maintenence concerns would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
12,321 Posts
What reliability concerns? When I was closing the deal on my XR, the dealer asked if I wanted the extended warranty. I told him I had been eavesdropping the Victory forums to see what was being complained about and couldn't find anything but lack of T-shirts. He responded that I would just be throwing money at him cuz all they see Vics in for are accessories and routine maintenance. They don't even get to see mine for that. No problems in over 3 years and I still have yet to hear/read of a major problem.
If you haven't already, go into Youtube and view "Victory vs Harley" a comparo of the two engines by a mechanic.
Did you test ride one yet? Amazing handling compared to your RK, eh wot?

·
Registered
324 Posts
After way too many HD's since 1986 I finally switched and not one regret...LOVE the the way my 2012 CCT does EVERYTHING much better than any of my 14 previous HD's (of that 8 Batwing dressers)...

Only thing ya might miss is the HOG chapter stuff as most Vic dealers are not in the loop of the lifestyle stuff... If you are more rider than hangaround the dealership type you will be more than satisfied and have little to no problems and SAVE a TON OF $$$$$ on not having to deal with HD TAX on motor upgrades... Lots of peeps have played with their 106's here but I feel NO NEED to at this time and I am an aggressive fast rider.

·
Registered
218 Posts
You may find out who among your HD riding buddies (assume you have a few) have consumed the kool aid and who are secure enough in their manhood to appreciate what the Victory has to offer. As a recent convert, I don't miss the vibe at the local HD dealerships.

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Man aint that the truth the tension and high levels of HD brand testosterone at the HD dealer is comical...I have 2 good friends that work at the 66 dealer in Tulsa and they tell me stories about the posing and chest pumping salesman. Its pretty funny.

But to help aid in the answer..you will be happy as said by HalfCrazy the engine is over engineered very hard to tear up and reliabilty is top notch. Handling is superior to what your use to and the power will keep you smilin..good luck the X bikes are my favorites next to the KP. I have the 5speed 100inch KP with ooverdrive pulley and the bike is a dream. If I ever get another it would be a XC

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haven't yet had the chance to test ride one yet. Wife and I were out on the scoot the other day, and noticed a we passed a Dealer. I've been telling about my idea to switch, so we decided to stop and look around. I gotta tell ya I really liked the feeling I got when it felt like I sat "in" the bike and not "on" it. She wasn't completely sold on the looks, which I find surprising, I really like the lines on it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Jumping from a Harley to a Victory your going to feel like the Victory engine lacks low end torque. A lot of that feeling is gearing (1st gear on my XC is a lot taller than pretty much any other V-twin I've owned) and some of that is the 106" is tuned for midrange power. Let it spin a little bit and it will reward you. If you lug it down around 2000 rpm it won't like it as much as your Harley. It's a different engine feeling and you have to get used to it. But it is also much more powerful & reliable than the HD.

If your the type of guy who likes to push a bike in the twisties the XC will knock your socks off compared to the HD. The handling difference isn't even close. Victory is light years ahead of HD on this.

A Victory isn't ever going to sound like a Harley. If you have to have the "Harley Sound" you probably won't find it on a Victory.

Honestly, the only thing that Harley does better than Victory is dealerships, aftermarket accessories, and paint quality. So if you can live without going to the HOG rallies the XC is a better handling, better performing, better engineered, easier maintenance motorcycle than the Road King.

I'm not bashing Road Kings because they are my favorite HD's. I've had some in the past that I loved. But they don't hold a candle to my XC.

As always, ride one. I don't know of anyone who test drove a XC and came back unimpressed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all for the replies. Johnny I have seen the videos, alot of good info. And although the Harley does have old school technology, I really haven't had too many problems. And I do agree that the paint on the Harley does seem to be a better quality. But the performance and handling aspect is what I'm really after. And I really dig the styling of the XCT

·
Registered
227 Posts
Buy one, first time you take it in for service you will wish you had your Victory back. You cant go to a Harley dealership for service and not spend $500.oo or more. I wanted to do the same thing, started talking to my Harley friends and they convince me not to. Love the reliability of the Vic.cheers

·
Registered
264 Posts
I replaced my Road King with a Cross Roads and have no regrets. The XR handles better, has more power, better brakes and is more comfortable. The downside is that the fit, finish and paint on the Victory isn't as nice and it has a few more plastic parts (most of which I have replaced). Considering I saved over $5K on the XR compared to what a new Road King would have cost me I am very satisfied.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Coming from a 9ft custom chopper, I couldn't find a Harley that I felt comfortable on where I could stretch out at 6'2" without immediate customization.

The XC is one of the few bikes out there I could find where I could still stretch out without spending more cash on custom parts before it even got out the door.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I blew out a fork seal on mine last weekend at about 7k on the clock.I'm assuming that I'm in an extreme minority, because no one else has mentioned such a problem.

Mine's also the '11, first year of the new transmission, and is pretty noisy. It can be quieted but after the fiasco BeoBob had with his I decided I wasn't going to go there at all, and just learned to deal with the racket.

·
13,254 Posts
Considering making the switch from the harley Road King I have now to Cross Country Tour. Is there anything of special intrest I should know about the Victory compared to the Harley. I see that servicing them seems to be much easier( 1 drain plug). Although oil seems to be a hot topic, 20w40 not easy to come by. Any insight to the reliability and maintenence concerns would be greatly appreciated.
Please add where you live here is where you can read a owners manual
http://www.purepolaris.com/en-us/Victory/pages/redirect-sign-up.aspx?from=http://www.victorymotorcycles.com/en-us/owners-manual.aspx

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
There's hawg parts on every corner.
If you ride a Harley then there ain't that uncomfortable moment when some old fella walks up to you and says "Nice Harley. I rode one for Patton in the big one."
Waay too much polymer.
Somebodys idiot brother in law got hired to do the wiring loom routing. Apparently he is immune to bitchslapping.
Victory is an auto manufacturer that figured if you make two machines for every set of four wheels you get two customers.
Wee folk have to strap lumber to their shoes to reach the pedals.
You can have any color you want except a bunch of colors.
Any Vic rider that feels the need to wear logo stuff there are a bazillion tee shirts. They all say Harley but there is a bazillion of them.
The Cross bikes come pretty well decked out with all the bells and whistles. Fortunately you can still throw stupid money at them. That's how we roll in America. Stupid money wins.
Speaking of America Victorys are more American than Harley I am told. I bought a shitload of Craftsman metric tools to keep up with it all.
Thanks folks I'm here all week.

The Vic is faster, more agile and more comfortable than any Harley I have owned or ridden. It's reasonable to believe that it is a more reliable product than a Harley although that argument is tainted by the stupid money we spend on any motorcycle that suits our fancy.

The Vic dealers are certainly less lifestyle oriented and that is like megapoints to Victory. Nothing ruins a perfectly good motorcycle like people that ride them. Harley has lost that battle.

Here's a test. You are at an event and there's a few biker types hanging nearby and you see one guy with a Ural with out of state plates and the hack is stuffed full of camping gear and whatnot and next to him is a guy with a late model RK like yours except different covers and mirrors and grips.
Do you
A. Approach the Ural guy and ask him a bunch of questions about his adventure?
B. Approach the RK guy and the two of you make fun of the moke on the Ruski wagon?
C. Approach the RK guy and compliment his trim and tell him your story of how you almost bought those covers but a bro in the "club" already had them and you want to be different?
D. Dodge them both, get what you came for and put some miles on before you lose daylight.

A or D- Vic is a fine choice.
B or C- Really! you would actually cop to choosing B or C! There's a fire sale on doilies and ladies pink tool kits at the HD dealership. Get ye hence hawg rider to slaughter even more cows in your quest for the ultimate leather look.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Thanks folks I'm here all week.
Good, keep keepin it lively. cheers

Here's a test. You are at an event and there's a few biker types hanging nearby and you see one guy with a Ural with out of state plates and the hack is stuffed full of camping gear and whatnot and next to him is a guy with a late model RK like yours except different covers and mirrors and grips.
Do you
A. Approach the Ural guy and ask him a bunch of questions about his adventure?
B. Approach the RK guy and the two of you make fun of the moke on the Ruski wagon?
C. Approach the RK guy and compliment his trim and tell him your story of how you almost bought those covers but a bro in the "club" already had them and you want to be different?
D. Dodge them both, get what you came for and put some miles on before you lose daylight.
How is it these golf geeks get beer girls to amuse them at their events and all we get are each other? I think I'll pick E, ride to the local golf course!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts