Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did, I miss the brotherhood but I don't miss the wrenching that went with it. $900 first oil change, then a $260 Front tire then it blew out at 74 mph and I was in ICU for 3 weeks and out of work for 2 months. I'm all set.

I SOLD all my HD wear and accessories and completed ALL the XC in addons in 1/3 the time and money.

My last was a 2008 Electra Glide Classic and she was beautiful, but My 2011 Cross Country is devastating with all the glory and none of the heartache!! But I'm still checking the Tire PSI ALL the time LOL!!

thanks Humbucker for getting me on this idea thumb up

·
Premium Member
13,170 Posts
Yeah. I know what you mean about still liking HD but getting tired of working on them all the time. Just don't have to do that nearly as much with the Vic's.

Easier and cheaper to bump up the hp/tq too.

There's a certain camaraderie that HD riders have though. A shared sacrifice. Not wanting to ride alone for fear of breaking down somewhere with no one to help.

There's also a certain, not easy to describe feeling of riding something raw and primitive that pulls at the soul down deep. Certainly different than a Vic or any other brand except maybe the custom builds and Indian's.

I've got a Sporty with a blown rocker box gasket I need to address but I'm having a hard time getting to it with all the projects I have on the two Vic's. Just today I finished changing the seals and fluid in both forks. The first one took me 3 weeks because I needed to get all my tools together; including the ones I didn't have. But the second one took about 20 minutes and then about another 40 minutes to get everything back on the bike; including the fork lowers and windshield.

Definitely needed it though. Well one seal blew, so it had to be done, but I didn't realize how badly it needed it. Feels much better now on the front end.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Former Deuce owner, Had my HD for 9 trouble free years. I still like the Harleys but when I discovered the XC I knew it was the bike for me.

From the buttery smooth ride to the price difference I liked the XC way more than any of the street glides I looked at. the One thing I miss more than anything though is that deep throaty rumble from the tailpipes, I'm still waiting to find the right pipes to make me a happier Vic owner.

My complaints of HD are the way they charge top dollar on garbage, chinese made products(chrome/accessories), with the Bar and Shield Logo. Oh and when I looked into trading in my decked out Deuce they offered $6k compared to 10k at the Vic dealer.

Overall though I think HD makes a fine product and I've known many many harley owners and hav'nt heard any complaints about poor quality or troublesome bikes.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Me too! Had a sporty in 95, 72 flh ,2 softails, a dyna and a electraglide classic. I love my Vic. Had a 05 Hammer and regretted selling it from day one. Glad to be back!!!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think what was the biggest push, was those videos from Arizona Victory on youtube of the differences of the Victory Motor and charging & oil systems superiority. They did a great job on them ,and when they started talking about the dealer pricing FOE-GIT-ABOWDIT. :ltr: . Then true love came when I got to sit on it and feel the nimbleness and stance.

Yeah I remember you'd roll in to the dealer and check out the next sweetest piece of chrome with skulls on it and pay the $60-$125 take it away in a HD plastic bag to get home and open it up and see the "made in China" sticker on it , you'd scrape it off as quick as possible so no one else sees it.

I read someplace that the new HD on average has 73% parts on it made from outside the US.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Just came off a 2009 CVO Ultra and had a 2007 Road Glide before that. Where on earth did you find a dealer to charge you $900 for an oil change?!

In myfindings, I paid no more for preventative maintenance on my Harleys than I did on my Honda VTX. I put 23,000 miles on the Road Glide and 32,000 on the Ultra and never had any major repair done. Just oil changes, tires and spark plugs. The Ultra really let me down this spring though. I had a turn signal lamp burn out, so I decided to trade it in on my 2012 Cross Country. thumb up

Seriously though, my Harleys were great bikes and I loved every mile on them. But, I am looking forward to loving many miles on my XC too :cool:

And yes, check your tire pressures daily and for when I am on long road trips, I put my TPMS system on my bikes so I have an advanced warning of pressure related issues. I would highly recommend them as another tool for safer riding;
http://www.doranmfg.com/motorcycle-tire-pressure-monitoring-systems.htm

·
Registered
269 Posts
Harley

I did, I miss the brotherhood but I don't miss the wrenching that went with it. $900 first oil change, then a $260 Front tire then it blew out at 74 mph and I was in ICU for 3 weeks and out of work for 2 months. I'm all set.

I SOLD all my HD wear and accessories and completed ALL the XC in addons in 1/3 the time and money.

My last was a 2008 Electra Glide Classic and she was beautiful, but My 2011 Cross Country is devastating with all the glory and none of the heartache!! But I'm still checking the Tire PSI ALL the time LOL!!

thanks Humbucker for getting me on this idea thumb up
I have been finding out Harley riders are more tolerant to my XC and have had some praises from Harley riders (even my die hard Harley is the only bike friend) about the bike. guessing that it is because Vic is made here good old USA? Anyway I came from Jap bikes that required little or no maintance other than routine oil changes tires etc. I was within inches of buying a Harley but rode the XC and went that way instead. I would much rather be riding than wrenching.. a couple of my Harley friends I think don't mind in fact one guy knows everything there is to know about the Harley motor and wiring... self taught and about half on the side of the road...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have not abandoned the HD!

After watching/waiting Victory since 1998, bought a CCT this year, BUT.. did not dump the HD I've had since '86. It will now be my project "Sunday" bike. Could not part with it after so many years of loyal service, even if it (or a new HD) could not match a Victory. Looked hard at HD's before buying my CCT and made the right choice!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bridgeport Harley, now defunct and closed!! Shows what that gets you.

I like those tire pressure systems and actually bought one but I'm concerned about throwing that extra weight on the rim and what it might do to the valve stem. I'll keep it in the drawer and stay old school till I get back in my groove 100%

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Bridgeport Harley, now defunct and closed!! Shows what that gets you.

I like those tire pressure systems and actually bought one but I'm concerned about throwing that extra weight on the rim and what it might do to the valve stem. I'll keep it in the drawer and stay old school till I get back in my groove 100%
They don't effect your tire balance any. I use them only on my road trips fro an advanced warning if the tire pressures start dropping. Never had the bike react to them. I do not use them all the time for fear of me dropping my habit of checking my tires weekly thumb up

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yeah, dark sider as well, just not as caught up with you guys. I'm trying to sell my 94 sporty to be able to get a down payment on a xr or kp. Didn't take much for me at all, just a 200 mile ride 2up with the local victory dealer and the following week the demo days truck was in town. Sold as sold could be after that. Only problem now is that that cross country might wind up causing a divorce. My wife is the daughter of a motor cop and can't stand fairings, too much time around the electra police bikes I guess. I've ridden with fairings in the past and love them. Say, does anyone know a sap, suck...um volunteer that would like a used sportster?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Not sure why you would consider HD the dark side. Most of the modern HD's are a good quality solid ride. I say modern because of the comparison to Vic. You would not want to compare a 70's or 80s HD to a Vic. I love my Vics but also have a soft spot of HD and have owned my fair share.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I came off a Superglide sport, really never had any major problems with it, had very bad luck at 3 different dealers though, 1 i had the screamin beagle pipes and download done, picked up the bike, 23 mile ride home pulled in the garage and the pipes just fell off on the floor......What turned me off the most was the other HD guys, the attitude they have and gave anyone who wasnt ridin HD. I have Triumphs also, they would look at them and alot would turn up their nose and walk away and some would look out the corner of their eyes like they didnt want their buddies to see them looking and appreciating another brand...funny really...Ill stick to Triumph and Vic. Their own riders actions make them the dark side......
BTW my Vic out performs my HD in just about every way, and is much more fun to ride

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I came off a Superglide sport, really never had any major problems with it, had very bad luck at 3 different dealers though, 1 i had the screamin beagle pipes and download done, picked up the bike, 23 mile ride home pulled in the garage and the pipes just fell off on the floor......I'll stick to Triumph and Vic. Their own riders actions make them the dark side......
BTW my Vic out performs my HD in just about every way, and is much more fun to ride

Fell off? :ltr: :ltr: OMG!! That is hysterical!! Well At least its better then my Electra Glide's brand new front Dunlop "HARLEY STAMPED" tire with 250 miles on it blow out at 75 Mph on the highway.

Yeah I still really like the Harley Styling and all but I'm all set with the wrenching and premature failures.

·
Registered
9 Posts
New king of the road

I traded in a 103 SE Road King for a XR. It didn't take 40 ft of riding to recognize it was a better bike. I do most of my riding by myself. I take a ride at least once a week somewhere going a minimum of 100 miles. Not real far, just far enough away to be a big inconvience to break down. I wanted something to get me home without worry. I also don't have time to ride and fix something broken on the bike. I can only do one or the other. I decided I would rather ride my Vic than wrench the Harley. As far as I can tell, it's better in every way.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I can only do one or the other. I decided I would rather ride my Vic than wrench the Harley. As far as I can tell, it's better in every way.
thumb up cheers thumb up

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
After changing my oil today I can say this. I sure am glad there's 1 drain plug for all the oil. Oil changes are back down to 10 minutes and no clean-up, no oil dripping from teh frame(Come on Harley, the filter shouldn't be above stuff to drip all over ) Anyway, the oil changes are going to be a breeze now thumb up

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
After changing my oil today I can say this. I sure am glad there's 1 drain plug for all the oil. Oil changes are back down to 10 minutes and no clean-up, no oil dripping from teh frame(Come on Harley, the filter shouldn't be above stuff to drip all over ) Anyway, the oil changes are going to be a breeze now thumb up
I agree, amazing isnt it? I cant believe how many millions of HD's out there and its a nightmare to change the oil in every single one of them. The Vic its a treat!!! :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
34 years of riding harleys what can I say

Started with a sporty in the 70"s and I was cool. Got me a 1950 pan head I was the man. I went through the 70 and 80 models and I was having a blast. But as I got older and my money got bigger and my trips got longer, The harley was a terrior. Breaking down, haveing to work on it on the side of the road. But I was cool I road a harley. But I was only paying 5 or 6 K for a bike then. But in 2010 I bought a brand new Ultra Classic. My first trip on it to Sturgis it blew and engine. My second trip out to Memphis I blew and engine. 18 months 39,000 miles and two engines and $24000 bike did not make since to me. So when harley said they were going to void my warrenty the Victory CCT came on the scene. 18 months 39000 miles and all I worry about is tires and oil changes. I carry a pop up, and a cargo trailer. I cross the US by myself no problem and I hae a blast. I do know what a harley guy will do when he pulls up beside you, He wants to show you his roar and I show him my SBD. Silent But Deadly. And yes I am stock. I got older and I think now I am a bit wiser. I now correct people when they say I am a biker. I tell them I am a rider because I don't tell you where I am going to go I show you pictures of places I have been. And I don't live at the bar I just visit them now and then I am too busy riding my bike not polishing it and putting chrome on it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts