Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed the oil on the Vic last night. Used the exact same procedure I have used at least 10 times between this bike and the last Vic…

Start bike, warm engine up a bit, shut down bike, remove drain plug, remove filter, stand bike up for a minute (gets a little more oil out), replace drain plug, install new filter, add exactly 4.5 qts. Of Vic oil, start bike and let run for a minute, shut down, check level. That’s where the problem starts.

The level was way up the stick and there was a lot of bubbles in the oil (crank frothing up the oil). Checked it again a few minutes later to be sure and got the same thing. Broke out the Mighty Vac and started pulling oil out through the fill/check hole and found the oil was dark. Ended up pulling roughly 36 ounces out before the reading was right. Start it up and let it run for a minute, shut her down and check the level… spot on. Go for a spin around the block… good. Checked it again this AM… still good.

So my conclusion is that somehow 36 ounces of old oil got stuck in the engine.

Has anyone else ever had this happen? Should I be concerned, maybe an oil passage is clogged or something?

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have done oil changes and used the correct amount to refill. I had the same problem when I checked the level way too high and had to suck out quite of bit of oil. It was like half a litre had hidden itself somewhere. Maybe some oil hangs up in the oil cooler.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
How didn't you realize only a quart and a half came out initially ? That's not very much and would be an instant red flag ...

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How didn't you realize only a quart and a half came out initially ? That's not very much and would be an instant red flag ...
From my estimate about 3 1/2 quarts dropped. If only 1 1/2 quarts would have come out I would have probably noticed.

Maybe I should have noticed the variance anyway, but in my defense I've got 4 vehicles that I maintain (2 bikes), each takes a different amount of oil, and this is the 4th oil change I've done in the last 3-4 weeks.

By the way, last oil change I did was on the VN900, which takes about 3 1/2 quarts. It took maybe 20 minutes. I was screwing around with the Vic for at least an hour and a half last night. Maybe she just wanted some extra attention.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I've only done one oil change myself on my XCT (it was in the shop for tires, other stuff, and I just had different dealers do earlier ones), but it went perfectly... as did Beo's earlier changes. Exactly 4.5 quarts.

Some questions:

- Did you remember to have the oil-fill cap off during the drain process?

- Did you rock the bike back and forth a bit while upright, during the drain process?

- How long did you let it drain on the sidestand?

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Ha Ha , maybe attention was what she needed , but that stress is something you probably do not . If I were in your shoes I may be fairly alarmed by your findings ... Next change I would pay strict attention to what comes out , and what goes in .cheers

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I let it drain for maybe 10 minutes, moving the bike a few times from the stand to vertical, and even leaned it a bit to the right for a little while... just trying to get out as much old juice as possible. Dipstick was left in during this process, but both the drain plug and filter were removed.

You can bet I will pay close attention to what comes out next time.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Here's a step you may want to add to your oil change procedure: after you drain your oil, pour it into an empty jug where you can verify how much came out. (those 4-5 qt. oil jugs are marked and work well) I've had your situation happen to me and I hate having to take oil out. I have a bunch of vehicles I change oil for and with this method I don't even have to keep track of their capacities. (or different requirements on a quick change w/o doing a filter)

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I let it drain for maybe 10 minutes, moving the bike a few times from the stand to vertical, and even leaned it a bit to the right for a little while... just trying to get out as much old juice as possible. Dipstick was left in during this process, but both the drain plug and filter were removed.

You can bet I will pay close attention to what comes out next time.
Well, the official (shop manual) instructions don't mention removing the dipstick (until, it's assumed, you go to put oil in), but I've always done that on prior bikes, and my one change on the XCT. I wonder if you create a sort of mini vacuum situation -- like your finger on top of a straw -- if you don't remove the dipstick during the drain process. Not an engineer, not a former mech, etc., but just my thinking on this...

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I too loosen my dipstick its like second nature . Whether it makes a difference , I have no idea !:crzy:

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
There is no hint in the oil flow diagram as to why the motorcycle would retain all that much oil. As is, Vic figures 16 oz retention to begin with. Add your 36 oz and that's almost a third of volume still in the machine. Seems whack.

Well, I'll get out the paint stick and put some lines on my bike drain pans. I don't know why this happened to you but I do know sums. Should be pretty easy to see from hash marks if a third of the earl is still resident in the bike.

Weird. Good heads up. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
It's the wife's fault!

...add exactly 4.5 qts. Of Vic oil, start bike and let run for a minute, shut down, check level. That’s where the problem starts. The level was way up the stick ... So my conclusion is that somehow 36 ounces of old oil got stuck in the engine.
You MUST realize that once you ran the engine you essentially "mixed" new oil with old oil and have contaminated any subsequent attempt at measuring efforts. It's not like you could then simply pull out ONLY the "old, dirty" oil, right?

Overfilling by over a quart seem's pretty unlikely (Would the casing even hold an extra 36 ounces without overflowing through the dip stick once ran? Couldn't the amount of oil have (more likely) been as little as 8 ounces that simply MIXED with the newer oil during the that "run for a minute" you outlined? Is it at all possible that you (mistakenly) left the old oil filter on the bike (happens to retain around that amount) during the change because that would be a more logical explanation.

1000% theoretical scenario - We all make mistakes from time to time and if you were interrupted at all (say by a wife wanting you to take out the trash...right THEN), you might have simply missed a step in the process thinking that you did it before you took out that trash. If, like me, you put your old oil filter in the same box (and bag) that your new one came in, you might have mistakenly tossed the new one in the trash so my logic is that...

IT'S THE WIFE'S FAULT :ltr::crzy::D

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
just change mine yesterday used the 4.5 qt kit. check level after and it was right on. the owners manual says to let the bike run for several min then check the oil level

·
13,027 Posts
Am guessing when you didn't pull dipstick while changing the oil there was a vacuum built up in motor that didn't allow the oil to fully drain out.
The only way air gets in the motor is when you crank it over or pull dipstick. So there would be a vacuum holding oil back.

When reading the service manual you have to keep in mind it tells you how to do like you have been threw Vic schooling. I have never read a service manual that hasn't left out words.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Just my $.02 here, but I always pull the dipstick, I have worked on vehicles that did hold oil because of not pulling the dipstick. Not saying that you should have to, but heres my process, warm bike( generally drain asap when getting home from a ride) pull plug, pull filter, pull dipstick, let drain several hours at times, then i will bump the starter a couple times, surprising how much oil come out when starter is bumped. Then reverse, install plug, filter, oil, dipstick, warm, check.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The amount of excess oil removed was measured at 36 ounces via a Mighty Vac with a 6 ounce cup, which I dumped 6 times. I bought the 6 quart kit and have 1.5 quarts still in the box.

Therefore the amount of oil that did not drain was roughly 36 ounces. If it had not fully drained by 8 ounces, then I would have only had to remove 8 ounces to get the proper level.

And yes, the filter was most definitely removed and replaced prior to putting new oil in.

What are the groups thought on bumping the starter to get more old oil out? A guy here at work says he has always done this without issue.

Just talked to the dealer… apparently this happens all the time. He said 4.2 quarts is typically what's needed to hit the middle of the full line. And although mine would have only needed 3.5 quarts he was not in the least bit concerned…. ride the snot out of it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Leaving the dipstick in or a filler cap on will result in a slower drain, but eventually the drain will be the same as with the dipstick out. The rules of gravity are pretty simple here.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
One of the first things I do after pulling the CCT in the garage after a ride long enough to fully warm the oil is pull the dip stick. Then I remove the drain plug and then the oil filter. I let it drain on the side stand for at least 10 minutes. I use that time to prefill the new oil filter with the 1/2 quart bottle of oil. You may be surprised how much oil will be absorbed into the new oil filter media.You can 'fill' the filter with new oil almost 2.5 times.

Then I'll put wooden blocks under the side stand so the CCT is nearly verticle and let it drain at least another 10 minutes. Not a lot of additional oil comes out but a bit does. I pass the time by cleaning the bike and such so maybe I end up letting it drain longer than 10 minutes.

I always pour the old oil back into the now empty contaners and always get back just under 4.5 quarts. Since some oil never really drains out of the oil filter, it all works out well.

It's easy to overfill the containers with the used oil so I'm careful to watch that aspect of checking the amount of used oil I get out as well.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts