Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 XC & for the most part have been very pleased except for wind management. Had I waited until '12 & gotten the XCT, probably would not be posting this thread. I test drove the XCT when it first came out & found the wind buffeting problem to be solved. However, I love my forged bars & found that here in AZ, the hard lowers on the XCT have to come off in the summer, otherwise it mimics riding an HD "Heat Glide".
I was warned a long time ago by my Vic dealer not to ride a Vision or I would want one. I have never cared for the spaceship styling & told myself all along I could never see myself riding one. Well, yesterday, he threw me the keys to a 2013 & told me to go for a ride. I jumped on the freeway & was amazed how much more comfortable it was than my XC. Much smoother at high speed....I could see myself cruising all day at 85!:)...not to mention the awesome wind management & relaxed ergos'. This bike had the optional wind deflectors & I think they would be great year round.
Things I did not like about the Vision: Seemed top heavy & this was with the trunk removed. I also noticed some vibes in the mirrors & found my hands blocked some of the view but the dealer says you can install XC style mirrors on the handlebars. Last but not least, I hate the side loading, small saddlebags, especially since I am used to going trunkless most of the time.
If I spent all my time touring, the Vision is a superior ride except for storage. In my case, 90% of my miles are the daily round trip commute of 56 miles. I ride my XC in temps up to 110 & have never found it to give off excessive heat (I have open pipes & PCV). I have seen some posts about the heat on the Vision.
I would be very interested to know if anyone has gone from an XC to a Vision & what your observations are. If I stay with the XC, I will have to get the very costly XCT wind management upgrade & only be able to use it 6 months out of the year.

·
13,247 Posts
I had my vision for a month with only 2 thousand miles on it and went out and test road a XC.
I made the right choose Visions are Great thumb up

·
Registered
7 Posts
Jokerman, i like you have a 2011 XC. Only in my case, I did do the hard lowers and the top case, essentially making it a XCT. About two weeks ago my dealer had an open house and I got to test the the Boardwalk first and then the Vision. Although I thought the Boardwalk was OK, I was blown away by the wind mangement and the handling of the vision. When MaVic extended the rebate until the end of October, i decided to start looking to see if I could find a left over 2012. Well, lucky or unlucky for me I did find on in my state and my dealer was able to make me an offer I could refuse and get it from the other dealer. I took deliver on Friday and I have to say it was a good choice. I still have my XC and just have to decide how I am going to devide my time between the two bikes.

Below is a picture of my new bike.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
If I spent all my time touring, the Vision is a superior ride except for storage. In my case, 90% of my miles are the daily round trip commute of 56 miles. I ride my XC in temps up to 110 & have never found it to give off excessive heat (I have open pipes & PCV). I have seen some posts about the heat on the Vision.
I would be very interested to know if anyone has gone from an XC to a Vision & what your observations are. If I stay with the XC, I will have to get the very costly XCT wind management upgrade & only be able to use it 6 months out of the year.
1. Sounds like your big worry is heat. Why not wait for a nice hot day and go demo a Vision?

2. Have you tried the fork mounted wings on your XC? They reduced buffeting considerably on my XR. Also, I have a friend who rode and XC with the Klockwerks flip screen and he didn't have any wind related complaints.

3. If I rode alone, I'd take the Vision hands down. I like the looks (red and black please), the frame mounted fairing, the heated stuff, the electric windscreen. But if a woman's going to be in tow for any stretch, I'd opt for the bike with the most storage.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice!

Jokerman, i like you have a 2011 XC. Only in my case, I did do the hard lowers and the top case, essentially making it a XCT. About two weeks ago my dealer had an open house and I got to test the the Boardwalk first and then the Vision. Although I thought the Boardwalk was OK, I was blown away by the wind mangement and the handling of the vision. When MaVic extended the rebate until the end of October, i decided to start looking to see if I could find a left over 2012. Well, lucky or unlucky for me I did find on in my state and my dealer was able to make me an offer I could refuse and get it from the other dealer. I took deliver on Friday and I have to say it was a good choice. I still have my XC and just have to decide how I am going to devide my time between the two bikes.

Below is a picture of my new bike.
You have the best of both worlds.....a city bagger & a highway tour bike. In my case, I need to be "all in", one way or the other. Keep me posted on your observations & thanks for the input!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How true....

1. Sounds like your big worry is heat. Why not wait for a nice hot day and go demo a Vision?

2. Have you tried the fork mounted wings on your XC? They reduced buffeting considerably on my XR. Also, I have a friend who rode and XC with the Klockwerks flip screen and he didn't have any wind related complaints.

3. If I rode alone, I'd take the Vision hands down. I like the looks (red and black please), the frame mounted fairing, the heated stuff, the electric windscreen. But if a woman's going to be in tow for any stretch, I'd opt for the bike with the most storage.
1) Good point, although late in the year for that.
2) I have the fork lowers & am aware of other options.
3) LOL, in my case, no trips with the wife so no worries. I do, however, love the bags on the XC.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
1) Good point, although late in the year for that.
2) I have the fork lowers & am aware of other options.
3) LOL, in my case, no trips with the wife so no worries. I do, however, love the bags on the XC.
Well without a passenger you could strap a refrigerator on the back seat in addition to whatever you could cram in the bags on the Vision. It sounds like heat is your big concern now. Don't think you'll find many Vision riders complaining about comfort or handling.
Sounds like the XC will always be a compromise for you. When it's hot you'll have to live with bad air management to prevent cooking yourself.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a Harley dealership near that just became a Victory dealer also. Since they are new to Victory the guys there don't know much about them and they don't have anything for cruising type bikes to try. So they gave me a great trade in value for my Stree Glide towards one they had to get from another dealer. I thought i wanted the Cross Country as it was like my street glide so thats what i got. I put a bunch of accessories on it and when i went there to get them installed their 2013 bikes arrived. There was a new Vision i looked at for hours and it's looks started to grow on me, the sales lady noticed i was admiring it and tossed me the keys. I should have never rode that thing, it was awesome! I came back and told her i made a mistake, now they want $3500 plus my new 2012 CC for their 2013 Vision, and i'm left with $2500 parts laying around i can't use on the vision! Guess i will ride my CC next year and wait for a used Vision to show up as it seems the resale is lower on those than the CC, must be due to the looks? BTW, the electric windshield and heated seats along with smoother powertain and handling all were what i liked better.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Vision

I have ridden my Vision in 20° to 105° this year. Hot is hot not matter what bike you ride. With a set of deflectors on a Vision you can control the heat as well as one any other bike.

If you are riding solo all the time you should not have a problem with storage. Learn to pack the bags and they hold a lot. cheers

·
Registered
586 Posts
Enjoy your XC! Riding in AZ, you'll enjoy more airflow past your body to cool you off. Test rode a Vision on a hot WI day and did not like the airflow. Much cooler riding my Kingpin or the Boardwalk. For WI, I wouldn't mind a Vision for these days with a high at 50 or less. Great cold weather protection on a Vision. If money wasn't an issue, I'd collect them all. But, I haven't won the lottery yet!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
good input, guys

Thanks for the feedback. Nice to know I am not the only one that noticed the Vision is a lot smoother machine. I still need to get over the space age styling, though. I plan on renting one for a full day before I make any decisions. That way, I can rest assured which bike is best for me. By the way, I am an old fart & find the older I get, the more comfort matters to me most. I recently sold my Corvette for that very reason. Sure, I miss the performance but that was one tough cookie to get in & out of around town:ltr:

·
Registered
827 Posts
I road a Vision and then a CCT back to back during a test ride I was helping with at GCMC in Springfield, Or. It was about 95* and the test ride was 22 miles. Part city, curves and highway. Both bikes were warm in the city. The CCT was by far cooler outside the city with the lower vents open and the fork louver adjust for full flow toward the chest area. The CCT had a tall windshield (which suck). With the windshield low on the Vision, the upper body was cool, but the legs were not (they were baking).
I've got almost 1000 miles on my new 2013 CCT and before the windshield change, the bike did have a little wobble when passing trucks. I think, with the shorter windshield the CCT is just as stable at speed as the Vision.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Well I don't have a XCT but have logged about 18K on a TC with no hard lowers until recently but did have fork lowers that significantly reduced the buffeting on it so I think I know how you feel. I ride about 60 miles daily to/from work and wind managment was one of my hinge points looking at new bikes. Didnt plan on buying but end of year offers got too sweet and found a great deal on a new 2011 Vision.

My thoughts on heat so far. Acceptable! No question. Lowers are a must! 250 or a little less and problem resolved. Also, CycleOps as well as some others have lower wind deflcectors that will take you to the next level on cosmetics.

http://www.cycleopsusa.com/custombillet.html#wd

I have NOT installed the lowers yet so I do have at least over 1K of exposure to the heat that was spoken about before I bought mine new bike. I'm with Lstayner that you ride a VTwin, your gonna get some heat. Go liquid cooled if that is going to be an issue would be my guess. EVERYONE that I spoke to said the same thing, once the lowers are installed, heat managment is not an issue. I can see why. When I picked my bike up the first thing I noticed was the GREAT wind envelope! Down side? When I hit a 6 mile backup on I40 at 86 degree's it sucked. BUT, I could easily understand at that point how those deflectors pulling air in would have helped. Will post some feed back after installation but I expect it to be exactly what other VV riders have said. The bike design aint new.

Things I did not like about the Vision: Seemed top heavy & this was with the trunk removed.
I thought the very same thing when I FIRST rode mine through some real twisties... I couldnt figure it out how everyone said it was so great and yet if felt top heavy to me. After about 100 miles, I never thought that again. As soon as I jumped back on my TC I realized I was riding a EXTREMLEY well balance machine. I had it in the court today doing tight TIGHT circles left and right then figure 8s. My neighbor couldnt watch as he figured I was for sure going to drop it. This bike is NOT top heavy at all. As soon as you settle into it and get to know the wheel base you will see!

I also noticed some vibes in the mirrors & found my hands blocked some of the view but the dealer says you can install XC style mirrors on the handlebars.
Hmm, vibes in mirros?? Worse than a wing mounted fairing? I purposly looked at my mirrors today thinking about this post and I really didnt see anything that would be considered a vibe. Hands blocking the inside of the mirror? Well, yes but you will adapt to it or just add to the brake and clutch. I don't think you will though.

Last but not least, I hate the side loading, small saddlebags, especially since I am used to going trunkless most of the time.
Nothing differnt that what I watch my Gold Wing buddies go through and I think once you get used to it, it wont be a big deal. Can always add a seat pack when your trunk is off. That is my plan. So, instead of loading everything into my saddle bags on my TC then unloading at work, it will be in a bag on the seat, unhook and into work I go.

I love the looks of the XCT and think it is a great bike but I finally fell for the fixed fairing and am absolutely sold on it as the bike for me. If you can rent one, that may be a great idea. I know I had to knock a few miles out on it before I got used to it but now, wow. I can't wait to ride it any chance I get.. Yea, its that great. Rode my TC into work tonight and what a rush but I will say I am looking forward to the VV tomorrow night.. hehehe

Good luck, incentives good through Oct 31st.. lol..

·
Registered
265 Posts
I'm going to toss my hat in on this one, even though I own an XR. I test rode the XTC last demo days, it IS NOT for me. Why? When I sat in (on) it, I felt completely encased in motorcycle. While I was riding, I might as well been riding in a Fiat with the doors taken off. I knew then, I made the right choice on the XR.

Flash over to the Vision. I test rode one when they were released in 08, I had immediate respect for the bike. I was everything I was looking for, save for one aspect. (Momma wouldn't ride on the spaceship.) I do not have that incapsulated feeling with the Vision and have zero concerns for the heat. When I finally win her over, a Vision will replace my XR.

Good luck with your dilemma.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
40 Posts
lower air wings

I road a Vision and then a CCT back to back during a test ride I was helping with at GCMC in Springfield, Or. It was about 95* and the test ride was 22 miles. Part city, curves and highway. Both bikes were warm in the city. The CCT was by far cooler outside the city with the lower vents open and the fork louver adjust for full flow toward the chest area. The CCT had a tall windshield (which suck). With the windshield low on the Vision, the upper body was cool, but the legs were not (they were baking).
I've got almost 1000 miles on my new 2013 CCT and before the windshield change, the bike did have a little wobble when passing trucks. I think, with the shorter windshield the CCT is just as stable at speed as the Vision.
I rode one on A hot day and the rear cylinder head almost cooked me, then I rode one with the lower wings on it, like night and day difference, even at slow speeds the wings turned in keep you pretty cool. I now own A2011 crimson and black

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
Have you tried the Madstad bracket and fork mounted wings? I have both, cruise all day at 85 and listen to my stereo while looking over my windscreen...

In the winter i put on my vinyl lowers which only improves the ride...

The xc should come stock with it!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

1 - 16 of 16 Posts