Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
As much as i hate the search function do a search on it. Atom bombs are a glass pack based muffler, they have a good sound unlike just gutting a muffler. I would say the closest thing to a atom bomb would be the thrush or cherry bomb mod.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
12,250 Posts
I keep my mufflers on the bike. They don't do me much good in the gutter.:)

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Muffle mods are the most popular for just about any motorcycle, especially a cruiser. Hate to be an ##s but just do a simple search on here or hell, even do a google search and actually look for what you want to know instead of cluttering up the forum with a question that has been asked a hundred times or more.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Understood, I did use the search function and it does not appear the forum has a "how to" thread.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Thats why I hate the search function, there are a couple how tos on the site, i dont remember the exact words though so the search sucks. But look up thrush mod and see what comes up, there has been a couple good ones.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
190 Posts
There's a few threads on this, I've read them all I think. I did the 1 1/8th hole saw deal, pretty quite..removed cats (pain in the ass, not hard just time consuming) still pretty tame sounding. Next step is the 3 5/8's hole saw and take everything out. One way or another this bird is going to scream.

·
Premium Member
13,326 Posts
Did it just slide out in one piece when you cut the end off?

A year or so ago there was a company called Raw Designs who sold mufflers which were basically just a gutted stock muffler with an opened end. It was basically just the can or big pipe. I ordered a set not knowing this and sent them back once I did. I guess they saw it wasn't going to fly once people knew they could just do it themselves without paying $300 or whatever they sold them for and quit making them.

I do wish I could have mounted them just to hear what they sounded like.

If you don't care for the sound after mounting them after being gutted with the small diameter pipe on it; you could cut the pipe off and take a hole saw in your choice of size to get a more guteral sound out of it. Do NOT take the cat's out if you do this though or you lose some needed back pressure and lose some power. You could weld a larger end pipe back on or just leave it open until you were sure you liked the sound with that size opening. Obviously starting with a 2" hole and going larger is easier than starting at 3" and finding out you would probably like it better at 2.5" or something.

Whatever you do; I look forward to hearing your opinion on the sound.

·
Premium Member
13,326 Posts
One more thing I just thought of. If you like the sound with the smaller pipe but not the volume and want it louder; just cut off 2-3 inches of the end pipe to make it louder. You can do this by just taking off the end cap instead of taking it all the way off the bike. This work on just about any pipe with a long end pipe on it. The end cap will then act as a resonance can to give it a more guttural sound.

·
Registered
522 Posts
One more thing I just thought of. If you like the sound with the smaller pipe but not the volume and want it louder; just cut off 2-3 inches of the end pipe to make it louder. You can do this by just taking off the end cap instead of taking it all the way off the bike. This work on just about any pipe with a long end pipe on it. The end cap will then act as a resonance can to give it a more guttural sound.
I'd be interested in hearing a sound clip of this "tail pipe snip" if anyone has done this.

Tech23

·
Premium Member
13,326 Posts
Yes they just slid out. I used a sawzall and cut them around and pulled out. Very simple. Then I just welded the ends back on.
Ahh... so you had to cut both ends to free it up from the outer can.

Then you cut it from the exhaust end cap?

·
Premium Member
13,326 Posts
I think I will take my stock ones I had drilled the inside plate and cut a few inches off the end pipe to a muffler shop and have them do what you did. I can always go back to the Stage 1 muffs I'm running now if I find them overly loud for the area I live in.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ahh... so you had to cut both ends to free it up from the outer can.

Then you cut it from the exhaust end cap?
You only have to cut the back end. I cut about 1" from the end leaving the mount bracket intact (was worried about my welding skills). Then just pull like the first pic and cut them off

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
190 Posts
Tomorrow when Lowe's opens up, I'm going to pick up a 3 5/8 hole saw and take everything out. the 3 5/8's hole saw is just big enough where it leaves the tip mounts on, its an option if you dont have a wielder. Heres a sound clip, im sure this guy is a member on here somewhere.

http://youtu.be/EPv3oTIoUGk

·
Premium Member
13,326 Posts
You only have to cut the back end. I cut about 1" from the end leaving the mount bracket intact (was worried about my welding skills). Then just pull like the first pic and cut them off
Excellent! Even better!

Tomorrow when Lowe's opens up, I'm going to pick up a 3 5/8 hole saw and take everything out. the 3 5/8's hole saw is just big enough where it leaves the tip mounts on, its an option if you dont have a wielder. Heres a sound clip, im sure this guy is a member on here somewhere.
Heck; even better yet! Do let us know how that goes.

In listening to this sound clip I followed a link afterward to a clip of some Ness Big Honkers which sound similar to my ear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NnFW5pm-E4

And just found this vid of gutted pipes and the guy found them to be too loud for him so he went on to install some Thrush mufflers inside the cans. I think this video has shown me more than others about what is inside those cans. Good to know there is a plan B on the table along with other possible options like Witch Doctors baffles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAGQaGYkSyA

1 - 20 of 36 Posts