Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get my 2011 XR across country, and bring a different bike back with me in the least amount of time possible. No I'm not going to ride into WI in November, go ahead and call me a wuss.

It looks like it's pretty economical to rent the UHaul MC trailer and the folks over at HDForum seem to like them. But the listed length of the trailer is 7'8" and our XR is 8'7". The picture on the UHaul site shows a Heritage Softail with plenty of room.....

So, has anyone put their XR or XC on a UHaul MC trailer? if it doesn't fit I'll just go to their 9' trailer but the MC trailer is likely lighter.....

·
Registered
543 Posts
While their site does state an inside dimension of 7'8", the picture of the loaded Heritage shows substantial room between the rear of the bike and the raised ramp. Perhaps visiting a U-Haul location that has one on location and measuring the inside dimension your self should give you answer to your question.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
The small MC trailers are only for in town usage. I think they have a bigger one with wheel chock. Otherwise just use a flat bed and strap it down.

Some plywood for a base, bolts, and harbor freight wheel chock can setup any trailer to haul safely.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
While their site does state an inside dimension of 7'8", the picture of the loaded Heritage shows substantial room between the rear of the bike and the raised ramp. Perhaps visiting a U-Haul location that has one on location and measuring the inside dimension your self should give you answer to your question.
Good advice but I'm kind of out in the sticks. The local UHaul retail spot doesn't have one on hand - I would have to go in to Austin, about an hour's drive. I could do that but if I could get an answer here that would save a trip.

The small MC trailers are only for in town usage. I think they have a bigger one with wheel chock. Otherwise just use a flat bed and strap it down.

Some plywood for a base, bolts, and harbor freight wheel chock can setup any trailer to haul safely.

"any trailer" assumes i have access to one, and the time/inclination to add plywood and a wheel chock when I can rent a MC trailer. THanks tho.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I have not used one for my xr but I did use one last year to get a triumph rocket 3 and had plenty of room

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have not used one for my xr but I did use one last year to get a triumph rocket 3 and had plenty of room
Nice, thanks for the post! just a coupla questions:

Would you be comfortable using one for a 2500 mile round trip?

Based on your Rocket 3, any reason to think your XR wouldn't fit on it?

·
Registered
856 Posts
No I wouldn't worry bout it and the xr should fit the uhaul trailer ride just fine behind my truck and I even ran into snow on my way home with it

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I'm all set for my trip and I have the UHaul MC trailer reserved. There are plenty of posts in various forums of using them for cross country trips. I did get in to Austin earlier in the week and had a look at one and took some measurements. With the "chock", which is actually just a V/U shaped extension in the front of the trailer, it's 9' so my XR will fit nicely. I have a WheelDock chock from a neighbor to try that should work out.

BTW, the empty weight of the trailer is 800 pounds, not really light but not too bad. I'll be pulling with with my RAM 1500 Hemi and I don't think it will be in the wind at all so hopefully I won't get dinged on mpg too bad.

Here's a picture from another forum not my bike but I thought y'all might like to see the trailer I was talking about and how it looks with a good sized bike in it.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
That "chock" location is important. It protrudes what appears to be at least 6" outside the frame of the trailer which effectively lengthens the bike that will fit by 6".

·
Registered
222 Posts
So how did the trailer work out?. Was it a close fit or no problems at all?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
So how did the trailer work out?. Was it a close fit or no problems at all?
YES, it worked great. The biggest hassle is that only the major rental outlets have them on hand, so I had to drive in to Austin 50 miles each way - they are local only rentals so I had to return it to the same place.

SO the details:

I did not like the look of the "Chock" as it's basically just a protrusion of the front edge about 6-8" wide. I have a WheelDock chock that doesn't take any extra room between the front wall and the wheel so I just used it. With the ramp up, I had about 3" of space between the tail of my rear fender (2011 CrossRoads) and the ramp so there was just enough room. There are sufficient tie down points in the floor. Except for my WheelDock sliding one way (to the driver side) once under way I had zero issues. I just took a spare ratchet strap and pulled it back to center and to hold it in place side to side.

The trailer loaded easy and followed very well. I did put a 1x3 under the lip of the ramp when loading as I had heard about some bikes bottoming out.

It is a little on the heavy side as it is galvanized steel not aluminum - I drove 70mph with no headwinds and figured I lost between 4 and 5 mpg.

For the return trip I loaded up my Harley Fatboy, which is a good foot shorter and somewhat lighter. The WheelDock was already centered and secured with ratchet straps to zero issues.

Final note, since I stayed at hotels on the road on the way out and back I was worried about theft so I used two 6" security cables and padlocks. One of the cables went through the chain holes on my hitch and a spot on the trailer just behind the hitch so no one could separate the trailer from my truck. The other I used through my front wheel and a tie down point. The ball hitch is a screw down type so there's no place to run a padlock there. Also the ramp doesn't have a provision to lock it in the upright position which would have been handy.

I wouldn't hesitate to use the same trailer again. I had it for 5 days total and 2530 miles. With adding $10,000 of insurance for my bikes the UHaul bill was $148.

Happy to answer any questions!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts