Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read I have to post twice here before I can post in other forums.
Thinking about buying a 2000 v92c with 22000 miles on it. I have read a lot about the transmission problems on these. I am wondering if every one of them has this problem or just some?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
977 Posts
I read I have to post twice here before I can post in other forums.
Thinking about buying a 2000 v92c with 22000 miles on it. I have read a lot about the transmission problems on these. I am wondering if every one of them has this problem or just some?

Thanks
Some people have had problems, and some have not. If the trans has been upgraded, I would think it will be fine. If not, it's a crap shoot. If it were me, if the bike seems fine, and the price was pretty low, I would buy it. But I would keep in mind the trans could go out and if it did, I would plan on a '03 to '05 92/5 motor trans upgrade.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some people have had problems, and some have not. If the trans has been upgraded, I would think it will be fine. If not, it's a crap shoot. If it were me, if the bike seems fine, and the price was pretty low, I would buy it. But I would keep in mind the trans could go out and if it did, I would plan on a '03 to '05 92/5 motor trans upgrade.
Thanks Tarzan I can get the bike for 2300 and it is in real good shape. Not sure if the trans has the upgrade or not but the owner told me the engine has been rebuilt not long ago.

·
12,968 Posts
ask him what he means by rebuilt.
If the tranie goes out it will coast you another 2 grand for a motor. Its cheaper to get a motor then to rebuild the tranie

·
Registered
886 Posts
22,000 miles and a rebuild already? The only thing that should have been gone by then is built by Dunlop. $2 - $3,000 dollars for a repair that appears to be a known routine occurrence? Parts you may have to rely on the used marketplace for? A 15 year old product that didn't have a huge market to begin with? Nope. All these points set of some warning bells for me and signal some serious downtime and expense.

I could go on with reasons why I personally would not buy this bike but simply believe I would be better off with something currently supported entirely by a manufacturer. If I'm already counting on eBay as the parts source I just know I'm going to be disappointed. I don't have to use that OEM route but they have to be available otherwise I could have serious replacement issues.

Motorcycling is all about riding so would be a bummer only being able to look at scrap metal sitting broken in the garage. Putting $3000 into a $2000 bike doesn't mean you then have a $5000 bike. Do what many do and keep saving/looking/reviewing for a bike that won't let you down and you can keep running for the greatest length of time.

·
Premium Member
6,013 Posts
Maybe log-out and then log in again .. ?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Welcome. I believe there only some cases about the tranny problem. Just make sure to check and test drive the bike before purchasing it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts