Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IS IT A RECALL?
It's my understanding after talking to the stealership and Victory that you only need the NEW backrest if you had a luggage rack on your bike, and they told me that using a buddies' for the weekend does not warrant replacement!!!
HOW MUCH WEIGHT DID I HAVE ON THERE?
As much as I hate it we may need to involve the NHTSA.
Is it possible for a company to issue a recall and not honor the rectification of said problem?
C'mon Vic, I've spent a boatload of money on your bikes, accessories, and apparel.
Do you really want to alienate me over a part that I paid $425 for and you made profit?
How much did this backrest really cost you? $300-$400???
Honestly, how much money did you make?
Do you really want to alienate me for a couple hundred bucks profit, when you could make thousands by keeping me as a happy customer???
I am on my 2nd BRAND NEW VIC since 4/20/12
I would rather have a POS that I know there will be issues with but the Mo Co will take care of, compared to a dependable ride that has NO factory backing.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
There is a lot of information out there...both here and other forums...about this issue. I'll give you my personal story.
Heard about the recall and received a recall notice. Called MaVic to inquire because I do NOT have a luggage rack and I was curious as to why they would not honor the recall for every L&R backrest owner. In a nut shell, I was told that unless I had a luggage rack, no juice for me. I stewed on that a few days and after reading many more posts...with a variety of different circumstances and different results from both dealers and MaVic, I got back on the phone. Same answer; no luggage rack, no new rest. More stewing, more reading and this time called the dealer. Dealer had not even heard of the recall, but checked it out and said I did not qualify. Yet more reading on the forums with some folks getting a new backrest even if they never had a LR and others being told "no". Called MaVic again (3rd call) and spoke to a supervisor. After 30 minutes of civil disagreement, his final answer was that I'm not getting a new back rest, BUT...if I ever bought a luggage rack, I could then get the new back rest under the recall. Safety recall never expires. I took his name, my case number and kept notes. More reading on forums, more inconsistent results. This time I sent a note to MaVic via their web site. I guess they looked up my name, saw I had an open case and passed my comments to the guy who I had talked to last. He talked to his supervisor and they agreed go replace my backrest although I don't have a luggage rack. He had already called my dealer and told her it was on order and would be shipped to them for the trade off. Since then, the shipping has been delayed 3 times.
I'm getting one cause I was a pain in their azz and they wanted me to go away and leave them alone, NOT because they decided to do the right thing. If that were the case, everyone would be getting them.

·
Registered
205 Posts
My brothers and I are waiting our backrests, we checked with dealer a couple of weeks ago and they said around July22, checked with them last Saturday and they told us the chrome is on back order, and the black should be here August 1. Out of the three I am the only one with a luggage rack which is from WD.
My brothers called Vic and got the same story as you, but they both came back and said so if I sell my bike and someone puts on the Lr and goes bad who is liable. Vic said they qualified for a new backrest. Interesting a big company like Vic and they can't get this recall done fast and correct. Ride Safe,

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
As replied in other threads My Backrest and Rack are on Recall but not turning them in until they can replace my originals which as far as I can see are in fine shape .. First it was Early May would be Ready .. Was just there today and now maybe mid August Hell might be Mid October whatever ..

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
From what I've seen on the forums a few people have received new back rests, I've not seen or heard of any one getting a luggage rack replaced...which is strange considering the new back rest has three bolt holes per side, so the original luggage rack that only has two bolts per side won't bolt up. I hear the bolt spacing is different so none of the bolt holes line up. So this is the reward for buying premium priced accessories? They issue a recall on the back rest and because you spent the extra money adding the luggage rack you're stuck with a luggage rack that doesn't fit. Really strange when the stipulation to get the back rest replaced under the recall is to have their luggage rack bolted to it.

Tech23

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Tech,
I'm not saying that you did not read that somewhere, BUT I have read otherwise...that if you have a Victory backrest and a Victory luggage rack, both will be replaced. That is the same story I got every single time I called MaVic myself. Of course, they are not going to replace an aftermarket luggage rack so those folks are pretty much screwed on the luggage rack.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I wonder how it is that some have only had their back rest replaced. Talking to my local dealer is like talking to Vinnie Barbarino... Who... What... Where? Anyone have pictures of the new three bolt luggage rack that fits the replacement three bolt back rest?

Tech23

·
Registered
611 Posts
I wonder how it is that some have only had their back rest replaced. Talking to my local dealer is like talking to Vinnie Barbarino... Who... What... Where? Anyone have pictures of the new three bolt luggage rack that fits the replacement three bolt back rest?

Tech23
Since no one seems to have the new luggage rack in stock my guess is they're still catching production up to demand. Folks that have gotten it were lucky, those that haven't are probably still waiting for inventory to arrive.

I discovered my (semi) local dealer has an old style luggage rack in stock. Been considering a rack for a while so I keep debating about buying it (they have it marked down) and putting it on the bike for a while with no or minimal loads. Then once supply catches up to everyone bring it in all "so I heard a rumor there was a recall on this stuff". Get me a post recall setup for a pre-recall price.

·
Registered
415 Posts
When I bought my XC in February the dealership in AZ didn't have luggage racks in stock, go figure. I bought one from WitchDoctors and installed it (2 hole rack). A few weeks later I start hearing about the recall and why the recall is being done. As far as I'm concerned if you keep an eye on the thing and don't stack bowling balls on it there shouldn't be a problem. Eventually if they ever get the new ones in stock I might inquire as to whether they'll cover my WD rack on my Vic backrest but for now I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. On the other hand, I'm leaving for southern Colorado on Thursday and if my little ice chest deploys somewhere on I-25 I'll probably be unhappy.

·
Registered
522 Posts
When someone gets their new 3 bolt luggage rack that fits the new 3 bolt back rest please post pictures. I won't be holding my breath for this...lol. Amazing how Polaris could launch a whole new line of motorcycles and still not get this sorted out in a timely manner.

One thing I did notice on my back rest and luggage rack...the bolt hole sizes don't match on both parts forcing the use of the smaller 6mm bolts (it has 6mm bolt holes in the rack and 8mm bolt holes in the back rest) because the larger 8mm bolts won't fit through the luggage rack. I'd be willing to bet if the luggage racks holes were enlarged to the proper 8mm size there would be no problems. If nothing else it would fit properly and be less prone to loosening/movement/failure.

Tech23

·
Registered
205 Posts
If anyone has one of the new backrest would you be willing to send pics to witchdoctor's. I emailed them yesterday to ask if they were going to make some type of adapter for those who bought their luggage rack for the old backrest. They emailed back and said they need to see one of the new ones. Just thought I would ask. Ride Safe..

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
There are not NHTSA recalls related to the Victory back rest, that I can find. I don't like the Victory luggage rack. It's too modern looking. Anyone know of a more retro looking luggage rack/sissy bar that'll fit the Cross Roads Classic?

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
My dealer just called today and said my new backrest is in!!!!!! Thought for sure it would take another couple of months.
Just a note for everyone.... I purchased my bike used from a used bike dealer in another city, when i found out about the recall i told my local dealer about it and they had no issue at all ordering me one. Thought i may have to jump through hoops to get one but pleased with the service my local guy provides. thumb up

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
i parked next to a crossroads tonight at a cruise night, it had the new backrest luggage rack combo ! i did contact vic through fb and they put me on some list, will see how that goes.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
well my dealer called today with my new backrest luggage rack combo, i said when i ordered i just needed the backrest, he said, OK ! woohoo finally!!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 19 of 19 Posts