Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

Have your floor boards on your Kingpin scraped pavement in a corner?

• I drag them every time I ride. It's how I tell I'm leaning enough!

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • I drag them every time I ride hard in the twisties

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • I have drug them once or twice

Votes: 16 42.1%
  • Never!

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • What's a twisty road? My roads are boring!

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how many of you have had your floor boards hit the pavement in a corner.

Up until I put my new tires on I never had but now that I have new D407's on the rear, the bike just wants to lean over! I scraped them 3 times on my 950 mile round trip to NW PA this weekend!

It is actually a bit unfortunate because it didn't even seem like I was leaning that much at all (compared to a standard motorcycle). Now when I take corners hard I have to hang off the bike, sport-bike style to keep the floor boards from dragging! :crzy:

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Just wondering how many of you have had your floor boards hit the pavement in a corner.

Up until I put my new tires on I never had but now that I have new D407's on the rear, the bike just wants to lean over! I scraped them 3 times on my 950 mile round trip to NW PA this weekend!

It is actually a bit unfortunate because it didn't even seem like I was leaning that much at all (compared to a standard motorcycle). Now when I take corners hard I have to hang off the bike, sport-bike style to keep the floor boards from dragging! :crzy:
I'd rephrase the first response. Touching the boards is an indication that going thru the turn any faster may result in an unplanned surfing adventure. What dragging boards tells me is that the speed thru the turn is bordering on inappropriate. That also happens to be just about where ride gets entertaining. :D

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd rephrase the first response. Touching the boards is an indication that going thru the turn any faster may result in an unplanned surfing adventure. What dragging boards tells me is that the speed thru the turn is bordering on inappropriate. That also happens to be just about where ride gets entertaining. :D
The thing of it is, I drug the boards and the wear line on the rear tire is still almost 2 inches from the tire shoulder. Seems it could go over a bit more if the boards were not so low. Maybe it's a Kingpin problem because my Uncle has put 150,000 miles on V92TC's and 40,000 on a 2011 XCT and only drug the boards once or twice.

Alternately maybe my sport bike history has me thinking these bikes can lean further than they actually should?! :p

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Although I voted "I have drug them once or twice" ... that is not entirely true.

I have gremlin bells tied to the lower part of the crash bars and they drag. It's about as close to floor board dragging without actually doing it.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
The thing of it is, I drug the boards and the wear line on the rear tire is still almost 2 inches from the tire shoulder. Seems it could go over a bit more if the boards were not so low. Maybe it's a Kingpin problem because my Uncle has put 150,000 miles on V92TC's and 40,000 on a 2011 XCT and only drug the boards once or twice.

Alternately maybe my sport bike history has me thinking these bikes can lean further than they actually should?! :p
Personally, I luv the floorboards on cruisers. I would not own one without them. And the KP does deck out way too soon, but it's better than their new cruisers. Half Crazy put pegs on his and can get a lot more lean angle out of it, but the decrease in comfort wouldn't be worth it for me.

Nice thing about the boards is the more you drag them, the harder it gets. thumb up

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
I scraped mine a bit, complained a bit about the Victory, since my BMW wouldn't allow scraping until WAY over, which I never did, but discovered I was not riding with proper body position etc., once I paid better attention to that, I haven't scraped since....

so it's possible that those who are scraping floorboards all the time are not riding properly and need to improve their body position when taking tight corners, being as low as the Victory is, compared to sport bikes anyway, we need to hang off the seat a bit if you want to take those tight corners without grinding away your low parts.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I scraped mine a bit, complained a bit about the Victory, since my BMW wouldn't allow scraping until WAY over, which I never did, but discovered I was not riding with proper body position etc., once I paid better attention to that, I haven't scraped since....

so it's possible that those who are scraping floorboards all the time are not riding properly and need to improve their body position when taking tight corners, being as low as the Victory is, compared to sport bikes anyway, we need to hang off the seat a bit if you want to take those tight corners without grinding away your low parts.
I've definitely started hanging off the Kingpin more and it makes a huge difference just like it does on sport bikes. cheers

·
Registered
784 Posts
Not sure about your ride, but on a XCT, when you drag a board, you better be where you need to be. There is very little play on them. Other rides I have had, there was ample warning of problems coming, but they dragged a lot too.
I drag them in parking lots doing drills. I have also levered the tires pulling such stunts. Pretty embarasing. :eek:
A few times when I got lazy I have felt them touch down, so they let me know I was getting lazy. No need to hang plumb off the side, but good cornering is needed if you wan to play.
As for trying to ride it like a "sport bike", well it just isn't that. Enjoy it for what it is and get something else if the need to knee drag overcomes you.

Keep the rubber side down. cheers

·
Registered
251 Posts
On my Vision I am not sure they will drag. Have had it really low and never scrape.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On my Vision I am not sure they will drag. Have had it really low and never scrape.
Yea, I'm starting to gather that the Kingpin has the lowest boards of any Victory.

I do have a second bike for my love of twisty roads

but it's hard to fight the urge when I'm on the Victory and a beautiful set of curves present themselves with a line of sight through them! :D

·
Registered
539 Posts
I almost lost it the first time I went through a tight corner. I just leaned in and all of a sudden the bike popped back up after a loud scraping noise. Luckily it was at a place where I had some room to work and get myself back in line. I haven't done it since.

I did scrape them this twice this weekend but not in a corner. Once I was cruising through a gas station parking lot and I went right by a fill port for a the gas pump tank and there was a bit of a dip and my floor board scraped and another as I was pulling out of a parking lot that had a big dip and it scraped. I was two up in both cases which made it even lower.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I scrape my exhaust on every right turn....Does that count?:crzy:

·
Registered
851 Posts
I use to avoid dragging my floorboards but now I really enjoy it whenever I hit the twisties hard.

The biggest thing is, like others have pointed out, you are near the limit of your bikes capabilities. Pushing it much further can lead to dragging hard parts followed closely by either low or high siding. Realizing that means you need be on your game and ready to respond to something in the corner (gravel, bicyclists, animals, etc...) or a decreasing radius turn.

However, at the same time, I recommend you get use to dragging floorboards so you don't overreact when you need to lean the bike over further than your use to because you meet up with on of the above mentioned things in a corner. Most bikes can handle more than the "average" rider can. Not saying that I recommend riding to the limit all the time but you should be ready to ride to the limit in an emergency situation.

Here is a great video to help you navigate the corners.

Twist of the Wrist 2

It's targeted at the crotch rocket crowd but the same techniques can be used by cruisers as well.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I drug mine constantly for the first year and a half. Now they're worn down so much that I haven't been able to scrape them in curves in a few months.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I caught my left side floor board comming around a roundabout last night and immediately started chuckling and thought of this post

1 - 20 of 26 Posts