Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Only less dangerous.;)
Yesterday I put 160 miles on my Highball riding in the country, on the freeway at speed and splitting lanes when the traffic slowed down.
Today I took a similar ride on my XC . Freeway, twisties, and lane splitting.
Here is my take:
I enjoyed them both but for different reasons.
Getting on the freeway was a blast on the Highball. There is nothing like doing 0-60 with your fists in the air! Once on the freeway at speed the XC smoothed out the bumps and made it easy to cruise at speed. The XC won out in the twisties as well. It just flows in and out of the corners and just makes you want to go faster. The Highball was best for lane splitting. (Something you have get good at if you ride during business hours in LA.) The torque allows me to jump when a gap opens up and the lesser weight makes slowing down or braking easier when there is no gap. The fat front tires just eat up the markers in the road to mark the lanes without complaint.
Some would say they could do an all day ride on the Highball no problem. My hats off to them. I did it, had a great time, but needed a nap afterwards. The XC is designed to ride all day and you can tell.
The Highball is seven grain bread. Everything you need. Nothing you don't. The XC is butter.
I am blessed to have both.
Comments?

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Not certain why you put in the comment about lane splitting unless it was to get this exact response...

A wife and a girlfriend are far SAFER than the practice of lane splitting. Most lane splitters intentionally ignore the "guidelines" for that particular practice (only executed under 30MPH and no more than a 10mph differential between the biker and flowing traffic) and therefore often risk their lives simply to get somewhere....FAsTER. :crzy:

Good luck and hope that you never become one of the many biker casualties that show up on the hospital gurney during rush hour traffic. Granted the majority of those are the sport bikers but personally.... you'd be FAR safer with the wife and mistress than you are lane splitting.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I keep a GSXR600 and the XC for similar reasons but more variation in the ride. There is no doubt the GSXR is the faster sleeker model built for the curves(girlfriend) but the XC is the one you can spend all day, take the long haul with and not be totally worn out at the end (wife).

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not certain why you put in the comment about lane splitting unless it was to get this exact response...

A wife and a girlfriend are far SAFER than the practice of lane splitting. Most lane splitters intentionally ignore the "guidelines" for that particular practice (only executed under 30MPH and no more than a 10mph differential between the biker and flowing traffic) and therefore often risk their lives simply to get somewhere....FAsTER. :crzy:

Good luck and hope that you never become one of the many biker casualties that show up on the hospital gurney during rush hour traffic. Granted the majority of those are the sport bikers but personally.... you'd be FAR safer with the wife and mistress than you are lane splitting.
It appears that you assume that I am not aware of the guidelines and or do not follow them when "Lane Sharing".
That assumption is without merit. But let's for the sake of argument assume that I am the cliché you speak of. My earlier statement still stands. When you marry someone you commit to them in front of witnesses that you are worthy of her trust beyond simple biological urges.
Having an affair is a betrayal of that trust. It is the ultimate act of selfishness that will cause her pain that never goes away.
My opinion: it's a better idea to crash into the back of a car than cause that kind of pain to someone you love.
Anyway, I digress. The point of the post was to review two bikes with the same motor who could not be more different. Both well suited to its purpose and as a result, fun to ride but very different.
I just wanted to share my thoughts for others who may be considering a two bike ,XC/Highball stable.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I keep a GSXR600 and the XC for similar reasons but more variation in the ride. There is no doubt the GSXR is the faster sleeker model built for the curves(girlfriend) but the XC is the one you can spend all day, take the long haul with and not be totally worn out at the end (wife).
Well said!

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
A few months ago I was toying with the idea of getting a girlfriend(Yamaha FZ-09). Turns out this is just not a feasible idea, since I spend most of my money on and time with my wife(Victory XC). Plus there's no room in the bed(shed) for anyone else.

·
Registered
399 Posts
A few months ago I was toying with the idea of getting a girlfriend(Yamaha FZ-09). Turns out this is just not a feasible idea, since I spend most of my money on and time with my wife(Victory XC). Plus there's no room in the bed(shed) for anyone else.
Can't remember the exact quote but somebody once said something to the effect of "I want one women who tolerates me and a garage full of things that love me."

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Bujee.... Ever notice the critics of lane splitting are always from places where it's not practiced. Unless you live in an area that has it for some time you'll never understand. I've known many who moved here bought a bike and said they would never split. It didn't take long and they were learning. Starting off with the the moves at lights. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a rider in ca who doesn't lane spilt to one degree or another.

·
Registered
679 Posts

You are just jealous, that your state doesn't allow what is a obvious advantage in high traffic areas. What is even more confusing to me is that Cali, the state with more restrictions and regulations offers this common sense solution. :confused:

·
Registered
100 Posts

Lane splitting in California is not only legal but encouraged.

Lane Splitting is Legal in California
Lane Splitting / Lane Sharing - Legal in California - Road Sign

Lane splitting by motorcycles is not illegal in California when done in a safe and prudent manner.
Motorists should not take it upon themselves to discourage motorcyclists from lane splitting.
Intentionally blocking or impeding a motorcyclist in a way that could cause harm to the rider is illegal (CVC 22400).
Opening a vehicle door to impede a motorcycle is illegal (CVC 22517).
Never drive while distracted.
You can help keep motorcyclists and all road users safe by:
Checking mirrors and blind spots, especially before changing lanes or turning
Signaling your intentions before changing lanes or merging with traffic.
Allowing more following distance, three or four seconds, when behind a motorcycle so the motorcyclist has enough time to maneuver or stop in an emergency.
In simple terms – pay attention while you’re driving, don’t be a jerk and keep an eye out for motorcyclists and other vehicles. Oh, and please stop texting while driving before you kill someone.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bujee.... Ever notice the critics of lane splitting are always from places where it's not practiced. Unless you live in an area that has it for some time you'll never understand. I've known many who moved here bought a bike and said they would never split. It didn't take long and they were learning. Starting off with the the moves at lights. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a rider in ca who doesn't lane spilt to one degree or another.
There are some. They usually post when they get rear ended by a person texting, eating, or putting on make-up. Or they only ride on Sundays to the Starbucks, park their bike where they can admire it, and sip coffee for hours. Eventually see thier bikes for sale: "2001 Harley, 2000 miles".
It did not occur to me until now that the only examples people who live outside of California see of lane splitting are the motorcycle fail videos on YouTube.

But that's for another thread. I am enjoying the posts comparing women to motorcycles.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can't remember the exact quote but somebody once said something to the effect of "I want one women who tolerates me and a garage full of things that love me."
I love that!
I finally have an answer to "Women aren't looking for the perfect man. They want a good fixer-upper."

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
I find lane splitting to be fun and exhilarating but this thread isn't about that.

I hear ya on the difference between the two. I guess my Kingpin is set up fairly similar to a Highball and they are both built on the same frame. I like them both for different reasons and times. For a road trip I will obviously pick the XC. Might even put the trunk and luggage rack on the trunk if I really have a lot to carry and a passenger. If no passenger then no rack and maybe no trunk.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I find lane splitting to be fun and exhilarating but this thread isn't about that.

I hear ya on the difference between the two. I guess my Kingpin is set up fairly similar to a Highball and they are both built on the same frame. I like them both for different reasons and times. For a road trip I will obviously pick the XC. Might even put the trunk and luggage rack on the trunk if I really have a lot to carry and a passenger. If no passenger then no rack and maybe no trunk.

Beautiful bike!
Does your Kingpin have more "grunt" than your XC?
Mine accelerates smoothly as if it is designed to have someone on the back. I ride differently when my wife is on the back than I do by myself. The XC makes that easier but if you are looking for a charge to your testosterone, look elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
Beautiful bike!
Does your Kingpin have more "grunt" than your XC?
Mine accelerates smoothly as if it is designed to have someone on the back. I ride differently when my wife is on the back than I do by myself. The XC makes that easier but if you are looking for a charge to your testosterone, look elsewhere.
Thank you!

Yes. The KP wins down low and the XC wins in the upper speeds. Practically neck snapping on the KP if I'm not careful. A true joy to ride and ride it I do. Both of them actually. With the performance parts on the XC (cams included) it pulls like a freight train when I need the power on the freeways. The locking saddlebags on the XC really come in handy on some days so it still gets ridden locally..

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
I wish they still made the KP... I would love to have a KP.
Plenty of good used ones around and ya never know; they might bring it back since the BW was discontinued.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
I agree with the comparison. In my case its a XC and a Jackpot.
The XC is stock except for mufflers but the Jackpot is full of flash and performance. Its great to have both depending on mood. In many ways the bikes represent the women. XC can carry a lot of junk in the trunk and is a very predictable ride but the JP has the sleek lines and racy look that makes me drool.
Both great bikes for different reasons and moods.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts