1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Administrator
5,975 Posts
Love em, hate em, whatever, but end of the day they are exactly what they are.
I love HD. They make my Victory stand out! cheers

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
http://cyrilhuzeblog.com/2013/04/24/harley-davidson-number-one-usa-seller-of-new-street-motorcycles-to-young-adults-18-34-women-african-americans-and-hispanics-caucasians-over-35/

Young adults, women, and minorities. For those that say HD needs to change, afraid not. They seem to be beating everyone else by being HD. Love em, hate em, whatever, but end of the day they are exactly what they are.
Herd mentality. Most of them probably don't know any more about bikes than they know about Mars. Their uncle told them "if they had to ask..." They felt embarrassed for having to ask and sheepishly joined in with the rest of the herd.

I did enjoy this reply to the article:

"Racism and Discrimination is alive and well I see ….. How come they're not tracking Native Americans? Are they all waiting to buy from Indian Motorcycle?"

·
Administrator
5,975 Posts
"Racism and Discrimination is alive and well I see ….. How come they're not tracking Native Americans? Are they all waiting to buy from Indian Motorcycle?"
:ltr: :ltr: :ltr:

·
Registered
218 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Never mind that H-D is one of only two major US manufacturers at all.

For a better stat, let's see Victory growth numbers and market share compared to H-D in the US market.

Since Polaris has been building motorcycles for maybe 15 or so years now, compared to 110 years for H-D, one can conclude H-D had a bit of a head start establishing itself as the classic cruiser standard for others to be held to.

Thankfully, Victory thumbed it's nose at that convention, declaring "B___ S___! Chain primaries, pushrods and low revving motors are more history in substandard design and tractor lore, than the standard by which American motorcycles should aspire to achieve."

... LOL! I had to laugh at my own statement there.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
I loved the HDs as well, They made me want for more, They pushed others to look for another solution instead of settleing for insanity by definition. The ones I owned in the past always found me happy but unsatisfied at best and they have showed me what I wished was out there in a bike and now its available. cheers Its kinda why I like but dont love plain hamburgers now that Ive had a deluxe bacon cheese burger.

·
Registered
470 Posts
the thing that's holding vic back is the lack of dedicated vic dealers, and around here the lack of ANY vic dealers. I truly believe if they had a good dealer network with a full selection of bikes and parts and accessories on hand they would already have grown many times more than they have.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
http://blog.motorcycle.com/2013/04/23/motorcycle-news/polaris-reports-q1-2013-results/

"Polaris Industries reported a 26% increase in net income over the first quarter of 2013, but a 2.9% decline in on-road vehicle sales (comprised almost entirely of Victory and Indian Motorcycles)."
Thanks for the link.. Good read. I found this statement very telling..

"Still, Polaris’ motorcycle business didn’t fare too badly. According to Polaris, the overall North American market for 1400cc and larger motorcycles shrank 10% over the first quarter, so Victory Motorcycles actually saw an increase in market share for the 14th consecutive quarter."

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Thanks for the link.. Good read. I found this statement very telling..

"Still, Polaris’ motorcycle business didn’t fare too badly. According to Polaris, the overall North American market for 1400cc and larger motorcycles shrank 10% over the first quarter, so Victory Motorcycles actually saw an increase in market share for the 14th consecutive quarter."
Yup, it's shrinking more slowly than the others...

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's US sales not sales by US companies. This is compared to all manufacturers of motorcycles, not just Victory. Yes Victory is still growing, and yes sales are better. Victory unfortunately or fortunately depending on your view is taking sales from metric cruiser from the Japanese and some to an extent from HD. Point is HD is doing it right as well and although many people complain and moan about how they need to change etc HD continues to grow, expand their consumer base and apparently attract younger rides at a rate other manufacturers wish they could.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
It's US sales not sales by US companies...Yes Victory is still growing, and yes sales are better.
What are you talking about?

"Polaris Industries reported ... a 2.9% decline in on-road vehicle sales (comprised almost entirely of Victory and Indian Motorcycles)."

Point is HD is doing it right as well and although many people complain and moan about how they need to change etc HD continues to grow, expand their consumer base and apparently attract younger rides at a rate other manufacturers wish they could.
That is a fact, but as others have said, they are far more ubiquitous, so it kinda stands to reason. Can't blame anyone for buying whatever is available locally.

Victory can't even keep a dealer open in friggin Knoxville which is like the hub of motorcycle destinations on the east coast. Harley has one on each end of DG/Cherahola.

·
Administrator
5,975 Posts

"Polaris Industries reported ... a 2.9% decline in on-road vehicle sales (comprised almost entirely of Victory and Indian Motorcycles)."
What is the decline compared to? Previous quarter? Doesn't the 1st quarter naturally come smaller than previous due to weather? Jan-March is when most folks are snowed in.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I tend to stay away from cars and motorcycles that attract the masses. My sport bike (Yamaha FZ6) is popular in Europe but overlooked in the US...that's why I bought it! Awesome bike!

Same with my Kingpin. I don't want to associate with "that crowd" but I still wanted an American build cruiser. Engineering is important to me and Victory has HD beat by a mile in that department.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
What is the decline compared to? Previous quarter?
Presumably.

It would be nice if we taught our business journalists to write.

Doesn't the 1st quarter naturally come smaller than previous due to weather? Jan-March is when most folks are snowed in.
The comparison to last year's first quarter is even worse:

"However, due to tough industry and Victory retail comparables from last year's early warm spring and compounded by a late stubborn winter this year, the North American heavyweight industry declined about 10% in the first quarter, while Victory declined high single digits."

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
HD has a far larger customer base than Vic so they will be ahead in all areas until Vic is on an equal footing. If Vic steals 5% of HD's market share, HD will still outperform in every category simply because it starts from a much larger base. What that means to me is that the study cited means almost nothing. Minority involvement in Vic may only be at 20% of minority involvement with HD but since the prior sales numbers are closer to 20/1 between the two brands, that would be a huge improvement in Vic's share of that subsector market. I wish there was an easy way to compare actual performance between these brands because my bet is that Vic would outshine HD by a wide margin. If Vic had 5% of the "black" market and HD had 30%, a change to Vic 7% and HD to 32% would be a net gain for Vic. The article would simply say that HD had improved from 30% to 32%. A totally misleading statistic.
Figures never lie but liars figure has never been truer.

·
Premium Member
13,639 Posts
No link but worldwide; HD manufactures approx. 280,000 bikes vs Victory's 13,000.

Translation: HD's are a dime a dozen and Victory's are what HD used to be before they got too big except Victory isn't held back by the old tractor motor design and is free to go where HD hasn't been able to go; at least not very well. For explanation see V-Rod.

It used to be fairly easy to transform a stock HD into something that stands out from the crowd but not these days. There are just too many of them in every possible configuration. Short of a loud and bold paint job; there isn't much one can do to make it stand out.

A Victory stands out just by being a Victory.

·
Registered
470 Posts

That is a fact, but as others have said, they are far more ubiquitous, so it kinda stands to reason. Can't blame anyone for buying whatever is available locally.

Victory can't even keep a dealer open in friggin Knoxville which is like the hub of motorcycle destinations on the east coast. Harley has one on each end of DG/Cherahola.
Harley has 2 full dealerships in Knoxville, 1 in Maryville a stones throw from Knoxville, and 1 in Gatlinburg and 1 or more in chatt both about an hour away. the dragon stores are sattelites with mostly gear but you can get oil and such there, if anybody thinks that isn't a big reason for so many hd's and so few vics around here, I got some land to sell.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts

I won't be holding my breath I guess for a shop in Asheville then. :(

1 - 20 of 57 Posts