Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went riding today with a buddy and a friend of his. My buddy has an HD Ultra with the 96 and I always beat him easily. He has been telling me about his friend with the Street Glide and the 103 wanting me to run him. Well today we were all 3 riding the back roads and I pull up next to the 103 at a stop sign out in the back woods on a 2 lane. He looks over at me and says, "lets see what that thing has". I said sure, lets go! Long story short I flat out killed him right from the start and just kept pulling away. He's running the 103 with Rinehardt pipes and My Cross Country has the Vic 106 & D&D's. Later in the day he wanted another shot at the crown and pulled up next to me while cruising along. I was cruising at 3000 rpm's and knew my sweet spot was right there so I let him go first. As soon as he hit it, I did the same and just flat out walked right past him and left him for dust. At the next stop sign he looked over and said "your bike is definitely faster" :). I read so many "tests" that say these motors are pretty even and I really wonder how do they come to these conclusions??

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Stock for stock a 103 is not that bad a match for a 106, but as soon as you touch the motor a huge disparity develops.
106+mufflers+filter-sound strip makes 87[ish]/105ish
103+mufflers+good intake=80[ish]/98
Almost 10% more for the money with the X bike

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To be fair I have the hi-flo air filter and stage 1 flash, also removed the sound strip, he just has the slip on rinehardts. With that said, I was pulling bus lengths on him in short order and it's not like I'm running cams.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I would have sworn that the lighter bike with a dozen more HP would prevail, but maybe not...
As you well know. Gearing can work like a substitute for power on the street, and HD has very well sorted ratios for 1-5

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
As you well know. Gearing can work like a substitute for power on the street, and HD has very well sorted ratios for 1-5
That's a race I'd like to see. Two out-of-the-crate stockers. The gearing might help the HD off the line, but not for long. On the HD forums it seems that many go to a 30 tooth front pulley on the baggers to gear them down, complaining that the gearing is too tall and the motor doesn't have the ass to pull the gears. Didn't HD go from 32 to 31 teeth on the front pulley in 2011? I assume the new ones retain that change?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's a race I'd like to see. Two out-of-the-crate stockers. The gearing might help the HD off the line, but not for long. On the HD forums it seems that many go to a 30 tooth front pulley on the baggers to gear them down, complaining that the gearing is too tall and the motor doesn't have the ass to pull the gears. Didn't HD go from 32 to 31 teeth on the front pulley in 2011? I assume the new ones retain that change?
That's true with the 96 motors I've ridden, can't hardly use 6th gear unless you're really haulin. Havn't ridden a Glide with the 103, it may fare better.
Here's a question, is it possible I was pulling the front wheel up yesterday? When we raced the first time from a dead dig, I launched harder than I ever have. I revved it and dropped the hammer, next thing I know is my floorboards are at an attitude/altitude I don't remember feeling before but I just stayed hard into it. Got the same feeling on the 1st to 2nd shift :)

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
That's true with the 96 motors I've ridden, can't hardly use 6th gear unless you're really haulin. Haven't ridden a Glide with the 103, it may fare better.
The 103 makes about the same HP as the first TC-88 did. Emissions regs are killing Harley. They keep making that dinosaur bigger and bigger but emissions get stricter and stricter... so they're making about the same power but making more heat and putting more stress on an already inherently weak crankshaft. No good will come of it.

If you build a new Harley to make 100+ HP it's a total crap-shoot on if it will stay together or not. On the other hand, you can make 100HP with just cams in a 106 Vic... and you'll never hurt the crank in that pack mule.

On the HD forums they talk about motors 120" and up with 62mm intake manifolds, 58mm throttle bodies, larger injectors, Aftermarket heads with huge valves and huge passages, giant cams... They end up in the mid-130s on HP and Tq.

I have that beat with stock heads, stock valves, stock intakes, stock injectors, stock 45mm throttle bodies, .484" lift cams... and only 110 cubic inches.

If you built a Victory engine as radical as they build these Harley baggers, the Vic would make 180 horse...

is it possible I was pulling the front wheel up yesterday?
Possible.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Should get a real chance this Wednesday to find out a bunch. The head of one of our small town PD motor teams is going to bring his built 2011 SG along with a 2012 FLP to run at Gaineville raceway against my cammed XC, and a stock off the floor X bike. If all works out right. Then the City of Alachua, will be buying a couple of new Vic police bike this year

·
13,313 Posts
If it takes thousand of dollars to make a harley fast that should tell you something right there.
There a carburetor motor that they add FI to.
What we pay a one thousand to get a hundred horse and the pay five times that and have to re due heads oil pump pistons and more.
Harley designed there bikes as a "money pit" not as a good bike.

·
Registered
10 Posts
A thousand dollars is only a starting point for a Harley. My 2010 Limited has a 103" with pipes, SE a/c, and PCV. It is adequate, but by no means strong. My 2001 Road King has a 95" with cams, pipes, minor head porting, and rejetted carb, and will literally run off and leave the 103, and a lot of other bikes. I shudder to think about how much money I have spent on making Harleys fast & attractive.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I can tell you your average SG 103 Stage I will be about equal in performance to your average 106 Cross Country....ESPECIALLY thru the first four gears....with riders of equal ability.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I traded a '10 Limited for my Vision last Aug. The Limited ($2k worth of mods) dynoed @ 80 hp. 98 ft.lbs @ 3000 rpm with a smart tuner,D&D Fat Cat 2 in 1 exhaust and a Heavy Breather ac with stock cams.I haven't seen any 103 with any better #'s without cams.Seat of the pants I think the 103 would out pull the Vision somewhat thru the 1st 4 gears but top end there's no comparison.The 2 into 1 exhaust was a torquer,with just a stage 1 remap,ac and stockhead pipe I don't think the 103 would pull my Vision on the low end either.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I can tell you your average SG 103 Stage I will be about equal in performance to your average 106 Cross Country....ESPECIALLY thru the first four gears....with riders of equal ability.
Stage 1 to stage 1, the 103 doesn't have a prayer. As soon as the Vic hits 3000 rpm's it's all over, doesn't matter what gear you're in. I would even take this bet, stage 1 103 against the stock Vic 106.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Should get a real chance this Wednesday to find out a bunch. The head of one of our small town PD motor teams is going to bring his built 2011 SG along with a 2012 FLP to run at Gaineville raceway against my cammed XC, and a stock off the floor X bike. If all works out right. Then the City of Alachua, will be buying a couple of new Vic police bike this year

Show them what the XC can do. Good luck.thumb up

JC

·
Registered
17 Posts
Stage 1 to stage 1, the 103 doesn't have a prayer. As soon as the Vic hits 3000 rpm's it's all over, doesn't matter what gear you're in. I would even take this bet, stage 1 103 against the stock Vic 106.
Show me the numbers...

The only direct comparison I've seen compared a 2011 Vision Tour vs. a H-D Road Glide Ultra(106 vs. 1030:

Topping the horsepower and torque charts helped the Victory Vision Tour win our 0-60 test by 0.06 seconds. Both bikes produced similar power curves during the 0-60 runs
courtesy motorcycle-usa.com.

BTW....I'll take your bet....I've got both...

·
Registered
130 Posts
#'s of a 2010 Limited with SEPST(smart tuner), D&D Fat Cat 2 into 1

exhaust,SE Heavy Breather ac and dyno tune.Like I've said I

haven't seen any better #'s with stock cams.With just stage 1, hp

values around 76-78 about the same,tq. values 86-90.The Fat Cat

didn't make much hp. but nice increase on tq.I don't think a stage 1

103will keep up with my stock Vision through any gear.With the $2k

worth of mods I had the low end would be close but my Vision

walks away in 5th and 6th gear.Big diff. in top end when you roll the

throttle going up a grade.